To move or not to move | ExpatWoman.com

To move or not to move

Latest post on 19 June 2016 - 07:55

Hello Everyone,

This is probably the first time I ever post in a forum but I really need some advice.

I got a job offer in Doha, and after the current financial commitments that I have I would be left with 8000 QR/month. Do you think this could cover rent, transportation and an ok lifestyle?

I am a single female, vegan, beginner runner and yogi, from the Levant. I know the weather is not amazing but I come from Dubai so I am used to it.

I do not want a shared accommodation, I am a bit old for this :) I wouldn't mind getting a studio as I am working on transitioning to a zero waste life. I am fine living outside the city centre as my job is close to Education City. I do not drive at the moment, and I would like to stick to that :)

I looked at furnished housing in Doha but there are not so many options online. Plus I am worried I would end up in a studio in a villa (Is it true that they divide villas into different apartments in Doha?).

Any help or ideas regarding the money I have and what it could give me would be amazing.
Plus any tips for vegans in Doha would be appreciated as well :)

Sorry for the long post, but I am very confused!

Latest post on 02 July 2016 - 11:39
You would be spending at least QAR1000/month on taxis to and from work. Rent on an apartment for yourself would be at least QAR5000/month (one that has reasonable maintenance and hopefully closer to your work) so that leaves you with 2000 for food and other. You need to do some more research on the cost of living before making the leap here - it is expensive to live in Doha. There would be little or no money for any extras or the occasional treat (i.e. eating out at a nicish restaurant).
Latest post on 02 July 2016 - 09:17
Hi IS84, First a disclaimer , I'm by no means an expert in giving financial advice. Villas and flats here were crazy expensive, but rents are dropping as quite a few expats are leaving Doha due to layoffs in the oil industry/ budget cuts in the public sector. You can search the site propertyfinder.qa for flats and it'll also give you an idea of what you can get for your budget. Dividing up villas here is illegal ( I think!) I would advise you to rent an unfurnished villa and if you don't mind secondhand furniture , you can actually find some good pieces of furniture with folk leaving. My husband is vegetarian and we manage to find decent options for him. I don't think there are any vegan/ vegetarian only dining options but I hear there's one scheduled to open up later this year. Hope that helps and good luck.