Need advice regarding schooling | ExpatWoman.com

Need advice regarding schooling

Latest post on 20 June 2016 - 16:12

I have started looking for a school for my 3-year old daughter and found out that FS1 starts once a child has turned 3 years old. My husband and I have decided to send our daughter to school only by next year due to financial constraints. I started looking now because I was told that I need to get the seat reserved at least a year before she starts because the waiting list is too long. I have inquired from Jebel Ali School whether she will proceed with FS2 if she gets accepted, and they came back saying to try for a place in FS1 as there is no guarantee for a place in FS2 because the FS1 students who re-enroll always get the priority. But we are unable to do it since we do not have the budget now.

Has anyone had any difficulty getting a seat in FS2, if the child did not start with FS1? I am afraid that she may not be able to get a seat and we will be forced to enroll her this year, making it a lot difficult for us financially. Thank you to everyone.:)

Latest post on 18 October 2016 - 08:38
Hi Expatwoman has this useful section with a list of schools and fees range. I already saw some within your budget, though they are far like Qusais or Deira. I wouldnt say you need to move houses though, you can start her on the school bus. Link: [url=http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_faqs_school_fees_6135.aspx'>http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_faqs_school_fees_6135.aspx[/url'> Some schools in your fees range: - Al Salam Private School - The Apple International School - Cambridge International School Dubai - The City School International Dubai - Credence High School - Dubai Scholars Private School
Latest post on 17 October 2016 - 19:53
My nightmare has happened. I went to Winchester School in Jebel Ali and it turns out that my daughter is already too old for FS1 next year. She is now 3 y, 5 months. The registrar told me that she is more suitable for FS2 but unfortunately, they are not accepting registrations for FS2 as they allot it for the siblings of their currently enrolled students. I checked with the surrounding nurseries and they told me that they only offer FS1, but FS2 must be done in a proper school. They did suggest going to GEMS Founders in Al Barsha to register for FS2 but I found that the tuition is a bit out of the budget. My husband and I are now thinking of sending her to the Philippine School in Al Qusais but it is quite far from where we are staying so we might have to shift. But then the rent is also becoming an issue because the prices are racing to the roof. I just don't know what to do. If we cannot find a school to send her to, we might be forced to send her back home to the Philippines to my parents and enroll her there in a local school. It would really break my heart if that is to happen but we are making that our very last resort. Our budget is around AED 15-18K per year, excluding all the other fees like bus or uniforms. Does anyone know of other schools around the Jebel Ali area which will fit our budget? Any advice will be very helpful. Thank you.
Latest post on 22 June 2016 - 13:21
Perhaps it would be better to try for FS1 for your child in Winchester of Founders? You'll be spending money on nursery anyways where your child does FS1, why not use that money for a school so you dont have to stress about FS2 placements? Whenever you register your child you will have to pay the 500dhs registration in each school.
Latest post on 22 June 2016 - 12:31
Firstly, thank you so much for all of your replies and second, yes, I tried doing my research. When I read the first response to my post, I checked schools surrounding our area (we are staying at Discovery Gardens) but I didn't find any and I am not sure if we will be able to afford them. Jebel Ali Primary School was quite expensive. I did check with GEMS Winchester and the fee is quite reasonable and workable for us. I only panicked when they said that it is better to enroll my daughter in FS1 because we may have difficulty finding a seat in FS2 since most students will want to re-enroll. I just hope that good luck will be by my side. @Carrie18 - Did you have to pay the AED 500 registration fee for all the schools that you tried? Sorry for my question, I am new to this and will need guidance. Will it be okay if I send you a private message? Thank you once again.
Latest post on 21 June 2016 - 14:59
Have you looked at the new GEMS Founders school opening in September? They have discount as well so the fees for FS1 is 18,700 which is quite reasonable. If your budget is less than this, then perhaps look at a school like GEMS Winchester? My DD did FS1 in nursery but it was a GEMS nursery so she got priority for FS2 in GEMS schools. Their fees are quite high though, and it sounds like you are on a tight budget. Nurseries that offer FS1 will be quite expensive too. Unfortunately most new schools will have high fees, so I think a school like GEMS Founders might suit you. Here is a link to their fees page: [url=http://www.gemsfoundersschool-dubai.com/tuition-fees/fees-payment/'>http://www.gemsfoundersschool-dubai.com/tuition-fees/fees-payment/[/url'>
Latest post on 21 June 2016 - 10:24
my son also did his FS 1 in a nursery as I felt it was better to be in a smaller environment and have more fun at that age. Everyone kept advising me to enroll him in a school for FS 1 as it was next to Impossible to get into FS 2 . But guess what.. out of the 3 schools that I had applied , he got in all 3. So please relax . Do your research and select 3-4 schools and apply at the soonest for next year. I am sure that your will find a seat esp now when there are so many schools opening up Good luck
Latest post on 20 June 2016 - 16:45
Someone posted on another thread there were 21 new schools opening in September. This should alleviate the problems people have had finding places for their little ones.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY