Would you take your teen's boyfriend/girlfriend on holiday? | ExpatWoman.com

Would you take your teen's boyfriend/girlfriend on holiday?

Latest post on 26 June 2016 - 09:59

Hi ladies

We're back on DubaiEye 103.8 this afternoon to discuss all things travel and events! Today we plan on talking about at what age is it appropriate to take your teen's boyfriend/girlfriend on holiday with you?

Have you done it before? Do you think it's okay to do without the boyfriend/girlfriend's parents? If you think it should definitely be a no-no, why so?

Tell us your thoughts and we'll read them out on air from 2pm this afternoon!

Latest post on 27 June 2016 - 13:39
For as many cultures, parenting styles, and levels of responsibility of teens, there will be as many differing opinions on this topic. Also coming from a liberal country, and a liberal family, my opinion is... You are asking for trouble. How well do you think you know and trust your own child? I can say that as responsible and trusted I am by my parents, there are nefarious things I did with boyfriends that I have never, and would never tell my parents about. Never! Then, ask yourself, how well do you really know your daughter/sons boyfriend/girlfriend? Doing this is like putting gas and fire a little bit too close to each other. The pressures/desires of young relationships are intense, and should not be encouraged at this age. They are not responsible adults when it comes to these matters. By encouraging this, you are basically saying that the going to bed, sleep and wake time is OK for them to explore. In my liberal opinion, this is like allowing a 6 year old to drive a car, alone, on the highway, in a snowstorm. They are not ready.
Latest post on 27 June 2016 - 02:36
No and never trust kids any more.
Latest post on 26 June 2016 - 21:33
To return to the original question................yes I did, And no they didn't.
Latest post on 26 June 2016 - 19:19
Hi ladies We're back on DubaiEye 103.8 this afternoon to discuss all things travel and events! Today we plan on talking about at what age is it appropriate to take your teen's boyfriend/girlfriend on holiday with you? Have you done it before? Do you think it's okay to do without the boyfriend/girlfriend's parents? If you think it should definitely be a no-no, why so? Tell us your thoughts and we'll read them out on air from 2pm this afternoon! I am amazed that this type of discussion would occur on a public radio station during Ramadan. I can see on an expat forum or expat website but live on-air in the UAE? If anything, these types of discussions can only add to the disapproval that locals would have for expats about what it means to be respectful of their culture. I can't even imagine why this would be considered by either side. Now we are discussing if it is acceptable for CHILDREN (teens) who are in a romantic relationship aka DATING to go on holiday together? This is assuming that BOTH of these teens are residing in the UAE? So we tell our kids its ok to act one way in Dubai and another way outside of Dubai? What kind of message does that send to them? Pandora's box. Let me put it to you this way... My parents were amazingly liberal and we are from one of the most liberal countries on earth. They allowed my boyfriend to move in to our home when I was 15 years old. Yes, he had his own room and guess what? THAT DIDN'T MATTER! (Does anyone really think it would matter?) I learned a great deal from the mistakes my parents made and there is NO WAY ON EARTH that I would bring a child's teen boyfriend/girlfriend on holiday with me. Let me be clear. Each person should raise their children as they see fit and my opinion applies to my family, but I do hope that when my daughter becomes a teen that she would never ever dream to ask me!
Latest post on 26 June 2016 - 18:46
You should ask a different question- would you let your teenage child to go on holiday with her boyfriend's family? Read the original question, it is gender friendly. It's the response that would worry me. And this forum is becoming increasingly non expat which is a shame.
Latest post on 26 June 2016 - 18:34
You should ask a different question- would you let your teenage child to go on holiday with her boyfriend's family?
Latest post on 26 June 2016 - 18:28
So you all assumed that taking a teen's boy/girl friend would automatically end in something too haram to discuss? That's really really worrying.
Latest post on 26 June 2016 - 18:06
Of all the most constructive things to discuss on air.you choose this? And we wonder what is wrong with the world, when as adults we find it difficult to show the right way.
Latest post on 26 June 2016 - 11:35
I can see what you mean @haim, but I for one would not be okay with my teenager's boyfriend or girlfriend tagging along on a family trip. I like to think that I was a teenager not too long ago :D and I know exactly what goes on even if teens are in separate rooms... even more so, teenage love is nothing more than a fling that will be nothing more than a memory (most likely an unpleasant one), so I would much rather have a quiet and peaceful family trip without the bad memories or the raging hormones... those are just my thoughts :)! Would love to see what others have to say though...
Latest post on 26 June 2016 - 11:28
I was 15 when my mother let my then boyfriend come along to a short trip away to Newquay in the UK... We were in separate rooms, he paid for himself and my mum was comfortable with it It was also handy that he was there because we got some great family photos just the four of us, that he took and wasn't in... Grateful now, ha!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY