Travel with newborn | ExpatWoman.com

Travel with newborn

Latest post on 26 June 2016 - 14:34

Hello ladies.

Living in Saudi Arabia and currently pregnant with bub no 1. I am going back to the UK to give birth and plan (fingers crossed) to go back after about 6 weeks. I'm a former flight attendant and thought I would be so clued up on how to fly back with a newborn but I am starting to freak out a tiny wee bit. We are travelling back BA club but I will be on my own. I was planning on buying the baby zen yo yo pram and just storing in the overhead locker as it's small enough but I'm worried about folding and unfolding with baby in my arms. Am I adding extra stress? Also we tried out the baby zen but it is a tiny wee bit short for my hubby who is very tall. So might not even be getting it! So the alternative is a baby sling. Are these more hassle than they are worth? I was looking at Ergo Baby but it seems like a lot of faff getting on and off! Also can you nurse in them? I plan on BFing if possible so will I have to take it on and off again to feed baby on takeoff and landing? I am taking a domestic flight to Heathrow then the long haul flight to SA. Has anyone got any experience of travelling alone with newborn and want to share their tips! Would be greatly appreciated! I'm not stressing about this honestly.....:biggrin:

Latest post on 06 July 2016 - 16:41
Baby sling or carrier is good at that stage for baby. Nursing cover is really handy and double up as a soft blanket if its hot during flight. Don't forget to feed during take off and landing. During long flight I use to give baby back rub or massage as they do get tired sleeping in lap if bassinet is unavailable due to seating or turbulence.
Latest post on 03 July 2016 - 08:50
Firstly, don't stress! Flying with a newborn is the easiest age, so try to relax as the stressful flights will come later! At such a young age, I'd stick with the baby carrier/sling. I got the Babyzen Yoyo when my LO was about 7 months old. From that age onwards, I wouldn't dream of flying without it! I still use it now and LO is 22 months old. It's expensive but worth every single dirham. Until then, the sling was perfectly fine and meant one less thing to carry. Pack your hand luggage and baby stuff in a back pack and put baby in sling and you're 'hands free'. (I used a 'Ring Sling' and yes, you can breastfeed wearing it although once seated on the plane I took the sling off and just fed using a nursing cover. That way you don't have to keep faffing about taking the sling/carrier on and off) Breast feed on take off, landing, and remember if it's turbulent you'll have to take the baby out of the bassinet anyway. If you use a dummy/pacifier, make sure you have a few to hand as well. You'l probably find at only 6 week, the baby will sleep most of the way anyway. Good luck!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY