Housing/school allowances - can they be rescinded and what base is acceptable? | ExpatWoman.com

Housing/school allowances - can they be rescinded and what base is acceptable?

Latest post on 29 June 2016 - 15:02

I have been offered a job with a housing allowance of 155k, family medical, pension payment, 1 family flight home, and school fees of up to 30k per child etc, on top of basic salary and bonus.

I am however cautious of relying on these benefits within our monthly budget and therefore the basic salary I negotiate in case they are removed at some point in future.... but of course if I do not factor in at all then I will price myself out of the role.

What is your experience of benefits being rescinded, or are there any laws to protect them?

Many thanks!

Latest post on 20 March 2018 - 01:16
Hi. Does the cost of education change depending on where you live? Suburbs vs City? Thank you
The cost of education s completely dependent on the individual school and they differ quite a lot.
Latest post on 18 March 2018 - 03:12
30K per child for education is good but won't cover most schools. Ours is about AED 45,000 per year.
Hi. Does the cost of education change depending on where you live? Suburbs vs City? Thank you
Latest post on 04 July 2016 - 11:45
Our were removed, but got paid in the salary whatever benefits we had, so didn't effect us that much and it meant we could rent somewhere cheaper if we wished. There are not really any laws to protect that the benefits remains, it was pretty much do you agree or do you want to leave? Makes no sense to me when companies do this. That just means they have to pay you more in EOSB when you leave, right? No, EOSB is paid on basic salary, not allowances. So the EOSB wouldn't change unless the company puts the allowance into the basic salary category, which I can't imagine any local company would do. My salary is broken down into: Basic Salary Housing Allowance Other Allowances
Latest post on 04 July 2016 - 11:41
Our were removed, but got paid in the salary whatever benefits we had, so didn't effect us that much and it meant we could rent somewhere cheaper if we wished. There are not really any laws to protect that the benefits remains, it was pretty much do you agree or do you want to leave? Makes no sense to me when companies do this. That just means they have to pay you more in EOSB when you leave, right?
Latest post on 03 July 2016 - 13:43
30K per child for education is good but won't cover most schools. Ours is about AED 45,000 per year. Be aware that although school fees and housing allowances are paid they generally do not go up as the years go on .... our benefits package has remained the same for 7 years - school and rent has gone up massively.
Latest post on 30 June 2016 - 20:50
Just be aware that lots of companies are withdrawing school fees, lowering housing and reducing medical cover at the moment. Signs of the times sadly.
Latest post on 30 June 2016 - 18:03
30K per child for education is good but won't cover most schools. Ours is about AED 45,000 per year.
Latest post on 29 June 2016 - 16:19
Our were removed, but got paid in the salary whatever benefits we had, so didn't effect us that much and it meant we could rent somewhere cheaper if we wished. There are not really any laws to protect that the benefits remains, it was pretty much do you agree or do you want to leave?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY