Issue with Landlord | ExpatWoman.com

Issue with Landlord

Latest post on 29 June 2016 - 17:45

Dear all, I'm sure that this is sadly not a new story but we would appreciate your assurance on this one. We moved into our villa in the Springs in January and now the patio door on the ground floors lock doesn't work. We have asked the landlord to fix it and got a quote. He is refusing and his solution was to use a piece of wood to wedge it shut and was telling my husband he doesn't care and its spending any money on the house. It's a shame as we have landscaped the garden and its sparkles like new (the previous tenants lived like slobs and its taken ages to make it inhabitable) anyways we have looked into RERA and it seems a long arduous process and we are slightly afraid he will make our lives **** and we don't have the time to move currently. Any suggestions would be welcomed....thank you all

Latest post on 10 July 2016 - 22:24
Was the lock working when you moved in? Personally I would just fix the lock myself but that seems like a pretty high cost to fix a lock. I assume you were fine with a higher estimate of 1,000dhs as you figured the LL would cover it. If you don't get it fixed now (for as little as possible)...you better believe the LL will ding your deposit to fix when you move out
Latest post on 10 July 2016 - 10:14
Thank you all. the amount in our agreement is 500aed and the lock in 1000aed. It's not really the money it's more the principle of the matter as he's just not a nice person. We will for sure put the house back to how it was before we move in :) thanks again
Latest post on 01 July 2016 - 14:50
Agree with the consensus here - why lose sleep over the lock repair which you should be able to do for a couple of hundred dirhams......not worth going through RERA and causing aggro with the landlord.....leave it for a serious problem!
Latest post on 30 June 2016 - 18:01
We have a lock on all our doors and windows but they are generally quite easy to open. We have the wedge of wood in all our downstairs doors and windows. Makes us feel safer.
Latest post on 29 June 2016 - 20:03
No don't go to rera for the case of a lock! What does it say in your contract about who is responsible for which maintenance? Generally tenants are responsible for minor repairs below 1,000 dhs for villas, depending on what you have signed.
Latest post on 29 June 2016 - 19:08
I agree - I don't think it's worth the hassle and stress. Just get it done and forget about him. Don't do him any favours when it's time to leave though; I'm not saying leave the place in a mess or anything but don't go out of your way to help him with a new tenant.
Latest post on 29 June 2016 - 18:22
If it is only to repair the lock and the landlord refuses then honestly I would just do this yourself. For managed properties it is standard that the tenant is responsible to pay for anything up to AED500 and it sounds as though this is just a change of locks. The stress and negativity of pursuing through RERA or the courts would just not be worth it. Even if you win you then have to get the money.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY