Medical Insurance | ExpatWoman.com

Medical Insurance

Latest post on 30 June 2016 - 22:23

Hello :) I'm new to Dubai and wondered if anyone knows much about the mandatory medical cover rule for working expats?
I have a temp 12 month contract, should I be covered by my employer by law? My contract is no frills.
Thanks in advance!

Latest post on 27 August 2020 - 16:41
I would like to suggest the Oman Insurance Company. Last year, I bought medical insurance for my family from there. They provide medical insurance at affordable prices. They are leading Medical insurance in Dubai. For more log on to https://www.omaninsurance.ae/Individuals/Health
Latest post on 07 July 2016 - 17:07
Thanks for your reply! They have given me a residency visa, so I wasn't sure if I should be covered by the new rules. :( In that case, does anyone know the best places to get cheap but decent cover? I've just enquired with Bupa and they quoted me $5,500 (USD!) which obviously I can't afford. Thanks x Consider travel insurance? About $3,000 a year. Bootsnall has insurance up to one year available. They also have the mandatory minimum which is like $200 a year. (about 750dhs). Doesn't cover much but it meets the requirement while you shop around.
Latest post on 05 July 2016 - 09:17
You could try Noor Takaful. They are advertising basic medical insurance at around 500 AED I believe. This is aimed at low income, wives on husband's visas etc. It may or may not be suitable for your needs. I don't think residence visas will be issued now without proof of medical insurance.
Latest post on 05 July 2016 - 08:34
If a company holds another emirate licence yet the employee works in Dubai do they still have to provide medical insurance?
Latest post on 05 July 2016 - 08:23
Avoid AXA - they're terrible. Nexcare are much better for a basic plan. I got a pretty good deal of about 4,000 for my coverage. AXA wanted double.
Latest post on 04 July 2016 - 20:32
Hi ladies Thanks, maybe I should try and speak to someone different in HR. I thought that was the case too but didn't want to make a fuss if it doesn't count for temp contracts. If it's still a no then I'll check out Axa :)
Latest post on 04 July 2016 - 12:01
If they are a Dubai based company and are sponsoring you, then by law they HAVE to provide you with at least basic health coverage. These laws a new, there was a deadline and any companies not giving their employees insurance face fines.
Latest post on 04 July 2016 - 10:05
If they've given you residency visa then perhaps they will give insurance too. Best to e-mail them and ask! AXA is quite reasonable compared to others.
Latest post on 04 July 2016 - 09:06
Thanks for your reply! They have given me a residency visa, so I wasn't sure if I should be covered by the new rules. :( In that case, does anyone know the best places to get cheap but decent cover? I've just enquired with Bupa and they quoted me $5,500 (USD!) which obviously I can't afford. Thanks x
Latest post on 03 July 2016 - 10:09
I worked as a temp fo 1.5 years at a semi-goverment and got no benefits - no leave days, no medical insurance, no residency visa. It is literally just a salary for the hours you work. I didn't even get reduced Ramadan working hours! The law here for temp positions is sadly quite strict. Even though employers are required to give medical insurance, I believe it's only for full-time employees, which temp doesnt count as (even if you work full hours in the day).

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY