Tank Top vs. Capped Sleeves | ExpatWoman.com

Tank Top vs. Capped Sleeves

Latest post on 12 July 2016 - 18:26

I am moving to Dubai in a few weeks time. What's your take on wearing tank tops or exposing your shoulders in public? I went to the UAE a few years back for vacation, and I remember thinking that I hadn't needed to dress as conservatively as id been told. I wore boxy capped sleeve t-shirts and linen pants mostly. I remember seeing people dressed much more Western with exposed shoulders, etc. Right now, as I'm packing and preparing for my move, I'm trying to buy more short sleeved/capped sleeved shirts (or jackets that I can wear over tank tops that I already own) before I go. Do you think this is as necessary as it's made out to be? Can you really not expose your shoulders in public? Are there certain areas (such as hotel bars with Westerners) where this is ok?

Latest post on 18 July 2016 - 17:42
Just dress normal. Strappy tops are fine. Shorts are fine. Just dress modestly when its ramadan time but further on anything goes.
Latest post on 13 July 2016 - 08:49
I think you have to use common sense based on where you are going and the time of year (ie: Ramadan) on what you should wear. At brunches or hotels it's not unusual to see greyhound dresses (an inch away from the hare) or lots or cleavage along with more conservative and also local dress, which can be stunning. It really comes down to whether or not you are comfortable with what you're wearing, if your outfit is revealing you will get looks or sideways glances with nods of disapproval. You will see some sights at the mall! And the shops do sell revealing clothes, they follow the current fashions, at the moment off the shoulder Bardot tops are really in and they are everywhere in the shops. I have worn them to the malls and don't feel uncomfortable. Don't stress over it, wear whatever makes you feel fabulous and happy.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY