Potential move to Qatar from Dubai | ExpatWoman.com

Potential move to Qatar from Dubai

Latest post on 21 July 2016 - 10:25
Thank you all for your reply's, very helpful, yes the car is only a year old so thought it maybe best to transport over, do you remember how much it cost roughly to do this, and did you drive it over? thank you
Latest post on 21 July 2016 - 07:18
I move from Abu Dhabi to Doha 2 years ago. As my car was new I actually exported my car with me. I decision I did not regret. If your car is new your better of shipping it I would advice.
Latest post on 20 July 2016 - 23:24
I've lived in Doha 10 years. Have never lived in Dubai, but visit regularly and have a number of friends there -- some who grew up in Dubai, some who transplanted from Doha. So I'm not comparing living experiences, but have some insight.. Yes you want your husband to get a multiple exit visa, or he has to apply every time he wants to travel! If you are sponsored by your husband, you don't need an exit permit. I think admin roles aren't too hard to come by, if you're sponsored by your husband. A lot of people have been laid off lately -- often taking their spouse with them. There are way fewer jobs here in general than a couple of years ago, but I THINK non-sponsored admin jobs are ok. Unfortunately, it takes a while to network and find a job.... To keep in mind-- Doha is similar to Dubai, but it's not quite the same. Does Dubai have the No Objection phenomenon? In Doha, if your husband wants to leave his company, they can ban him from working anywhere else for two years. Doha is definitely much smaller -- which is nice because it's a closer community, but it also means there aren't quite as many offerings. There is no metro yet (it's coming soon!). You don't get the concerts that come to the UAE or have Farrari World nearby or the water parks... (we do have a water park). Part of the reason that I go to Dubai often is that the best pop / rock musicians go to the UAE, but rarely come to Qatar. Also, I have been to a bunch of training courses/ conferences in Dubai that just don't happen here -- or are much less frequent. But I think that Doha has a lot in the arts and culture scene. The museums are excellent and expanding. The Philharmonic Orchestra is great. The parks are nice, and growing all the time. I think that Qatar is putting a concerted effort into growing nicely, not just quickly. In Dubai you can drive to Abu Dhabi, Oman, Al Ain, RAK, Al Ain, etc -- in Doha, in order to drive for a vacation, you have to go through Saudi Arabia, which is a bit of an ordeal, so it's not as easy to get away without planning/ flying. But it is easy to go to the beach or go camping any time. I think cost of living is slightly higher in Doha- but I have never lived in Dubai, just visit a few times a year. Hope that's helpful. If you can find people who have actually lived in both, that's probably best. The Qatar forum is much slower than the Dubai one. If you haven't already posted there, it might be worthwhile. There are lots of people in Dubai who used to live here.
Latest post on 20 July 2016 - 11:34
Great thank you for your response, anyone else have any advise?
Latest post on 19 July 2016 - 19:55
Hi there, I can help with a couple of your questions. Yes, you will need to attest your marriage certificate for Qatar. A multi-exit visa is best, as your husband would need to get permission from his employer every time he wanted to leave the country. Also I would say to get an e-gate pass, which makes getting through the airport a lot quicker. Until you get your RP, you would be here on a tourist visa, which can be extended for 1 month, then you would do a visa run every 2nd month. Very much the same as in Dubai. We live on The Pearl, which I suppose is the equivalent of the Palm, it's built on reclaimed land. There are tower blocks and townhouses, shops and restaurants. We used to stay in West Bay, but wanted somewhere we could walk without traffic. So The Pearl fits perfectly. I don't know of anyone who has moved from Dubai to Qatar, it's mostly the other way round, but if you search the forum, there are some people who have. All the best if you decide to move. ?
Latest post on 19 July 2016 - 10:50
Hi I hope you maybe able to give some advice, we are a couple who are in their early 50's who have lived and worked in Dubai for the past 10 years, we have adult children who will be staying in Dubai, my husband has the opportunity to take up a new role in Qatar, we have a few questions .... are there any of you that have done the same move and are enjoying Qatar did any of you take your Dubai car over to Qatar and re register there? Do we need to have our marriage certificate attested and notarized for Qatar, (already done for UAE) we currently live in an apartment on the Palm in Dubai, is their comparable in Qatar, we would probably be looking for a furnished place this time round, or serviced apartment, any recommendations greatly received. We have been told to ask for a multi exit visa what is the difference, do we need his employers permission to exit the country every time we wish to travel, even for a weekend to see the kids in Dubai, I will be sponsored by my husband. I will be giving up my job here in Dubai if we come across, I am guessing it is not easy to find admin roles? is there anything we need to consider when making our decision? TIA :)