Is a holiday really a holiday if everyone can't make it? | ExpatWoman.com

Is a holiday really a holiday if everyone can't make it?

Latest post on 21 July 2016 - 18:28

We're back on DubaiEye 103.8's The Ticket on Sunday afternoon from 2pm talking all things travel and events related!

We'll be discussing whether a holiday is really a 'holiday' if everyone can't make it...

[url=http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/education/end-of-the-family-holiday-... by this news article[/url], we want to know your thoughts, especially as many families are often divided over summer in Dubai as Dad has to stay and work, or Mum and kids escape the heat.

Is this the right thing to do? Or do families need to be together as a family, whether the weather is awful or not?

Is it good for kids to spend weeks, or even months, away from their dads in the summer? Mums don't have to leave, so why do they choose to?

We'd love to know your thoughts... We'll read out responses on air during the show!

Thanks everyone

Latest post on 26 July 2016 - 02:02
We always go home for summer because we want to spend time with the grandparents as it's our only opportunity, not because of the heat - personally I'd prefer it to the typical miserable wet weather we get in the UK !! lol.. Maybe others are lucky enough to have parents that can travel but for ours it's not an option. We still have our own home in the UK so we're not forced to spend 2 months living out of a suitcase imposing on the kindness of friends or family. Not sure that we consider it a holiday though - it's simply "going home for summer" and my husband usually only spends a week of it with us because he has to work. I don't believe it does the kids any harm to be away from their father - he often travels for work anyway and there are thousands of families who routinely spend time apart due to the parent's job...Forces families are without a parent for months at a time...Part of expat life is missing your family so of course we want to take every opportunity to spend time with them, that's why we do it...
Latest post on 24 July 2016 - 08:45
Also lets remember its not always the dads who have to stay behind. I know of many working women who stay behind whilst the kids travel on their own to grandparents or dads and kids travel. Honestly EW I didn't expect you to be so sexist! Very good point -- if you'd like to join in the chat you can call DubaiEye 103.8 at 2pm this afternoon to discuss it with us further! :)
Latest post on 22 July 2016 - 16:20
Also lets remember its not always the dads who have to stay behind. I know of many working women who stay behind whilst the kids travel on their own to grandparents or dads and kids travel. Honestly EW I didn't expect you to be so sexist!
Latest post on 22 July 2016 - 14:21
Ultimately a family holiday is exactly that... A holiday as a family. These mums who escape the heat with the kids without their husbands I wouldn't say are exactly having a holiday. Especially when many go to their home countries - my SIL does it every year and if i'm honest, it's more of a pain for family members who have their home invaded for two months but as it's "family", won't say anything It's not good for kids to spend such long periods of time away from their dads, but if its the only way the family can "survive" summer, who am I to judge I appreciate it's far too hot during summer. But it's not just children who "can't cope"- us adults who have to stay put and work have to deal with it. And we find plenty to do to keep ourselves entertained. There's plenty for children to do, too - it's just a case of being a little more imaginative indoors... Many folks I know feel guilty because their children aren't getting the "summers" we had as children in the UK. But why not make your summer here filled with memories instead of clinging onto nostalgia?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY