Where to live?! | ExpatWoman.com

Where to live?!

Latest post on 22 July 2016 - 19:32

Evening all,

My husband and I (and 2 cats) will be moving out to Dubai in December.
I am spending quite a lot of time researching where to live and thought I had pretty much had it down to The Palm, I even went to see an apartment on the Golden Mile when we were there last week, which I really liked, but the more I read the more I am aware that construction noise and traffic is a big problem.
Other areas we would consider are Marina - although traffic is supposedly a nightmare?
My husband's office will be the south end of SZR so Greens, Springs, Views, Lakes are options, maybe JVT as well?
It's a big, daunting move for us (me, mainly) so I am desperate for the area to feel "right". I will hopefully get work as a teacher by next August but obviously don't know where.
At first we were all set on 2 bed apartment, but would love some opinions on the villa option further afield.
Our budget is AED 180k, but could do a little more for the right area.

Many thanks for your advice, Melissa

Latest post on 04 November 2016 - 07:37
Hi :) I've been in Dubai for 2 years now. Ever since I move here I've lived in Mirdif. Mirdif is nice if you have kids or if your kids school is in Mirdif area. Everything is just around you, parks, mall and super markets. It is very good for families, quiet neighborhood mainly villas. Transportation here isn't as easy as described in other people's reviews on Marina...
Latest post on 31 October 2016 - 09:18
Hi there We moved from London in August to the Marina, it's perfect for us, the mall, beach, cinema, array of restaurants within walking distance and the marina itself is a great place for walks and biking. Public transport is fantastic, i haven't plucked up the courage to drive here yet so my husband insisted that we live somewhere where facilities are within walking distance. One important thing to consider is in the Marina is the Air Con coolant is included in most of the rents, this will ultimately save a fortune as we have friends in a Villa who are paying ridiculous prices. Our bills are so reasonable and we have a large 2 bedroom apartment. We live in Marina Quays, here is a huge pool large enough to do laps, squash courts, gym. childrens play area and a communal garden, in fact we opted for the garden over the marina view as it's so nice to overlook something green. Where in England are you coming from? Traffic can be trying but it's only at certain times of the day and has never been that bad in my opinion, well i come from London! It's certainly better here! If you have any further questions i'd be happy to help.
Latest post on 30 October 2016 - 16:02
ps - if you aren't bringing your things then sign up to Buy it, sell it, swop it on Facebook - I think its the best way to buy second hand.
Latest post on 30 October 2016 - 16:00
I'm a Marina girl! Traffic is bad but you kind of adjust to it! For us, the proximity to the water, beach, cinema, supermarket within walking distance let alone the restaurants along JBR/the Beach means it is a location that cannot be beaten. We have lived here 4 years and survived the Tram disruptions! Though I do appreciate the traffic is bad. That said, my friend lives in the Tiara (sister dvlpm is Oceana) on the Palm and it is truly wonderful! Lovely size flats with fantastic facilities. Negotiate and you could get 180K. I believe that Marina Residences is also nice - know a couple of people who live there. Palm is a real lifestyle choice - beach, and pools make you feel like you are on holiday! I am always seriously tempted to move! If you want a villa, then I would look at the Lakes or Meadows. At the Lakes you have the Reform Club and Lakes Club which have great facilities and a nice friendly feel. The villas are getting older but shop around and you can find some nice options. Lakes/Meadows vs Palm/Marina is not really comparable. First of all no lovely views and less amenities on your door step plus you will need a car. You will probably want a car on The Palm too. Finally, I would explore JLT and The Greens as always here good things about these areas. Good luck with your move x
Latest post on 28 October 2016 - 00:23
I would strongly recommend to consider JBR, it's amazing seafront community with the beach and outdoor activities and many many shops and services at your doorstep! the apartments are bigger than in Marina and you can have seaview, I particularly enjoy sunset walks with an ice cream...the best shops, brands and restaurants are there, it's definitely the place to be in Dubai! The residents have free parking and easy access to the beach and the Walk/The Beach. Supermarkets, laundry, tailoring, nurseries, pharmacies, fast food and restaurants - everything just at your footsteps. Easy access to SZR - a matter of 15 min. Moreover, you don't need to have a car there, everything is available at the walking distance. I adore this area and strongly recommend to give it a look. For the budget you have you can easily find a 3 bedroom with maids and terrace, if you need any further help for the apartments do let me know, I've seen many of them and I live there!
Latest post on 27 October 2016 - 19:58
The other thing about the Palm that a lot of people do not realize is it suffers dreadfully from humidity for quite a lot of the time - being surrounded by quite still water.
Latest post on 25 October 2016 - 15:47
The Marina and JLT are also nice areas, especially when you are new to Dubai as you will literally have everything on your doorstep and easy access to the Metro. JVT is still quite good value for money and good acces to the main roads, including Szr via Garn Al Sabhka street. I would stay away from the Palm at the moment, traffic and construction is pretty unbearable.
Latest post on 25 October 2016 - 14:59
Evening all, My husband and I (and 2 cats) will be moving out to Dubai in December. I am spending quite a lot of time researching where to live and thought I had pretty much had it down to The Palm, I even went to see an apartment on the Golden Mile when we were there last week, which I really liked, but the more I read the more I am aware that construction noise and traffic is a big problem. Other areas we would consider are Marina - although traffic is supposedly a nightmare? My husband's office will be the south end of SZR so Greens, Springs, Views, Lakes are options, maybe JVT as well? It's a big, daunting move for us (me, mainly) so I am desperate for the area to feel "right". I will hopefully get work as a teacher by next August but obviously don't know where. At first we were all set on 2 bed apartment, but would love some opinions on the villa option further afield. Our budget is AED 180k, but could do a little more for the right area. Many thanks for your advice, Melissa Hi Cookiedubai, I arrived in Dubai at the beginning of October from Sydney. We had a look at many areas but kept coming back to the Dubai Marina. It has everything you could need. If you are into fitness, there is an 8km loop around the marina or shorter if you take one of the bridges over. The highway is minutes away and the metro is a very short walk (depending on which side you live). We have moved into one of the Trident buildings on Al Tarras Street directly opposite the metro. We have a view to the marina and it is stunning. There are two bedroom apartments for your budget. It all depends what is important to you - for us it was being able to go for a walk/job in the evening after work with a nice view. And being around water was a must too. It's so clean and safe here too. There are security guards everywhere and all the staff in the shops are eager to lend a hand - they will even carry your heavy groceries to your apartment door if you ask. The metro runs in two directions and there is a train every 5 minutes or so and even a carriage for women and children only. It's about AED5 to ride. I hop on and go to one of three malls which are within 20 minutes of us. I have never lived in an apartment before and of course it has it's ups and downs but we have a pool and gym here and the concierge are amazing. I was struggling with some purchases the other day and they came running out with the trolley and took everything off me and straight up to my apartment. Yes you do hear the occasional bang from above but when I look out of my window and see that amazing view - it's all worth it. And also where we stay, my husband can access the highway within minutes. It works for us. Take a look online at https://www.propertyfinder.ae/en/rent/dubai/properties-for-rent-dubai-marina-marinascape-oceanic.html?mkwid=sEgpr1XnV_dc&pcrid=79206713645&pkw=_cat%3Apropertyfinder.ae&pmt=b&gclid=CP2a6anm9c8CFUk6GwodBLsPqg Good luck.
Latest post on 23 July 2016 - 20:50
You might also want to have a look at flatreviews.com. They have reviews on most buildings and villas in Dubai which is particularly helpful since a higher rent doesn't usually equate to a better quality building or villa. Good luck with your move!!! :) Thank you! I'd noticed that website and the quality does seem to vary somewhat! To be honest am so scared about the move and how different to "home" it will be but am trying to think about the positives!
Latest post on 23 July 2016 - 19:50
You might also want to have a look at flatreviews.com. They have reviews on most buildings and villas in Dubai which is particularly helpful since a higher rent doesn't usually equate to a better quality building or villa. Good luck with your move!!! :)
Latest post on 23 July 2016 - 15:49
Hi, With a budget of AED 180 - 200K, you can rent a 3 bed townhouse in The Lakes or a 3 bed apartment in The Views (Golf Tower, Fairways, Panorama are the pick of the lot in my opinion). I've stayed in both communities and wouldn't have moved if my rents hadn't been hiked in both instances!! I don't know much about the other areas so can't help you there. Since December is a few months away, why don't you come over to Dubai for a few days and drive around the communities (and possibly do a few viewings) to get a general feel of the area. Thanks for the reply rkm1980 We've just returned actually so hopefully I saw it at its hottest, it was certainly oven like! I'm a teacher so our plan is to come out during my October half term and rent a car and explore the different areas and get some viewings in. I'm just mindful of everything that needs to be done, and the logistics of getting the cats over! Good to know that our budget should be able to get something in these areas! Best wishes, Mel
Latest post on 23 July 2016 - 13:21
Hi, With a budget of AED 180 - 200K, you can rent a 3 bed townhouse in The Lakes or a 3 bed apartment in The Views (Golf Tower, Fairways, Panorama are the pick of the lot in my opinion). I've stayed in both communities and wouldn't have moved if my rents hadn't been hiked in both instances!! I don't know much about the other areas so can't help you there. Since December is a few months away, why don't you come over to Dubai for a few days and drive around the communities (and possibly do a few viewings) to get a general feel of the area.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY