Moving worries! | ExpatWoman.com

Moving worries!

Latest post on 21 November 2016 - 15:59
Hi Sharlene, sorry, just seen this, sent a message on FB xx
Latest post on 17 November 2016 - 13:29
Hi Sharlene, It is a scary time, flying into the unknown. Everyone has been there. We have been here 18 months. We are originally from Scotland too. At the moment it's quiet here as its summer, most women go back home to their own countries, esp if they have kids. So the forum is very quiet. We don't have kids, so I stay the whole summer, and actually enjoy the peace and quiet. If you want, I will give you my email, and you can ask me absolutely anything you want, no matter how silly you think it is. Sandra. Hi Sandra, it's Sharlene here. I have been trying to get in touch with you via messenger and FB but I can't see you? I hope all is well, please get in touch when you have time as I don't want to loose contact. X
Latest post on 11 September 2016 - 10:55
Hello and thank you for the messages, they are really helpful. It's been quite a busy few weeks here trying to get organised but All is in hand now and my husband loves on Tuesday 13th Sept to start his new job and I plan to come over on 29th Sept until 9th October for a holiday and to check things out. I would really love to meet up with people even just for a coffee? I'm not 100% sure where his accommodation will be as it seems to be changing all the time but I'm happy to travel to meet up. X
Latest post on 27 July 2016 - 21:12
Hi Sharlene -- i've just added to your two other posts. I think the best way to come is optimistic with a positive attitude. Things will be different. Things will be weird. You won't be able to understand people at first with their behaviors, or their accents. BUT you'll have such amazing experiences. You'll meet people from all over the world. If you like warm sunny weather -- you're in luck. You will try new foods and be physically in a great location to base world-wide travel. You'll be spoiled by conveniences here that you would never have in Scotland. But there are also inconveniences. You may have to go to multiple grocery stores to find that specific ingredient you need from home. Or you may be surprised to find that the store you want to go to is closed from 12-4:00pm. You do need to be flexible and willing to roll with it -- but I think that all in all, it's a much better experience to come, embrace and relish in the differences, the diversity, the opportunity, and the range of experience. I'm leaving after 10 years -- and I'm so glad that I did come. I have had frustrations, but I have truly enjoyed my time here and I am very glad I came instead of just stayed in the US. I'm going back so my kids can grow up near their grandparents and cousins in the US -- but Doha was amazing when we were just a couple enjoying life. I think you and your husband will enjoy it together as long as you come with an open mind.
Latest post on 26 July 2016 - 09:33
Hi Sharlene, It is a scary time, flying into the unknown. Everyone has been there. We have been here 18 months. We are originally from Scotland too. At the moment it's quiet here as its summer, most women go back home to their own countries, esp if they have kids. So the forum is very quiet. We don't have kids, so I stay the whole summer, and actually enjoy the peace and quiet. If you want, I will give you my email, and you can ask me absolutely anything you want, no matter how silly you think it is. Sandra.
Latest post on 26 July 2016 - 03:00
Hello. I posted a few weeks ago that my husband was considering a job offer in Qatar and he has now taken the job! He will relocate around 1st September and I plan to go back and forth until our daughter starts uni in the UK Sept 2017. However, now that we are discussing our big move with friends, colleagues etc I am starting to get a little anxious and would really appreciate some honest advice or words of wisdom from expat who are actually there living a life! Although my husband has been to the Middle East on many occasions for work, I have never been and I have taken the view that nothing ventured nothing gained and if I/we don't settle we can always come home. Am I right to be like this? Will I be free to 'live' or is it going to be a complete shock? Do you feel safe? Many thanks for any advice! X