VISA run | ExpatWoman.com

VISA run

Latest post on 19 August 2016 - 18:38

Dear all,

I had to recently cancel my visa due to my husbands work change. It will take him 30 days to get his new visa which he will then sponsor me with.

I am a European citizen and my visa got cancelled a week ago which means that I have another 3 weeks till I have to exit and re-enter the UAE.

Are visa runs still possible and if so after how many days should I take a trip? I have heard rumors that laws have changed and it's only possible on my last day of the 30 days grace period?

We live in RAK so I would most probably go to Mussandam if possible.

I would appreciate any advise on the above.

Many thanks!

Latest post on 22 August 2016 - 10:45
Hello and thank you very much for all the helpful advise. I have found this very useful website that gives exact GPS coordinates and information on UAE borders. Will use it when I drive for sure. http://thedesertdiva.com/2015/02/02/uae-oman-border-crossings-the-lowdown/
Latest post on 20 August 2016 - 23:14
Also you must wait till the 30th day , if you exit before 30 days is up and return thinking you will get a new 30 day visa this does not happen , if you re enter before 30days is up you will still be on original visa !
Latest post on 20 August 2016 - 17:32
Hi again, that is good to know. I would have to call immigration to make sure. Do you usually call their call centre? I have basically just cancelled my residency visa a few weeks back. I would now leave, come back on a visit visa and get my new residency visa. I guess it's better safe than being sorry. Let's see what they say.
Latest post on 20 August 2016 - 10:56
Rules for Canadian passport holders are different. As I said, they changed the rules for Schengen passport holders and so for German passport holders if you're on a visit visa, you can now only be in the country for 90 days in any 180 day period - you get a 90 day visit visa. They might well not allow you to do a visa run and say you have to leave the country for 90 days. Best to check with immigration on that front because I don't know what the new rules are for German passport holders and changing visas. As I said immigration are being very twitchy at the moment. Ask immigration. When we got my husbands sponsorship done - He's a German PP holder - it was well inside the grace period and even they then were pretty determined to send him out the country, to then come back in on his work permit. We paid to avoid this.
Latest post on 20 August 2016 - 03:26
I am a Canadian passport holder. I am here for 4 months(looking for a doctor job). Done visa run 3 times. I am speaking from my experience. Hatta or musandan no difference. Can do it from 30th till 39th day. Don't do it on 40th. Had to give 300 dirhams fine on each passport. We got exit stamp at Dubai border give border charges enter into oman pay their 50 dirhams fee per passport. Ask them to put entry and exit stamp together. Enter into Dubai got another 30 days visit visa.
Latest post on 19 August 2016 - 19:56
Hi Fairydust, thank you so much for the useful information. I am a German passport holder. Are you certain that I can go to Hatta and when would you advise me to go? Do you think week three would be acceptable? Many thanks!
Latest post on 19 August 2016 - 19:43
Well what passport do you hold? As the rules are now different for holders of Schengen passport holders as opposed to British passport holders. Also DON'T leave it until the grace period, as some immigration officials will still charge you overstay in that period. It's hit and miss with the rules at the moment and really depends who you get on the day. Oh and as far as I'm aware, you can't do visa runs from Mussandam. It has to be via the Hatta border.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY