Whats a fair salary for a live-in nanny? (Sorry.... I know its been asked) | ExpatWoman.com

Whats a fair salary for a live-in nanny? (Sorry.... I know its been asked)

Latest post on 18 September 2016 - 14:23
We pay 2000aed per month for a nepali maid, have 3 bedroom small place, one pet and a toddler who has started nursery from 0800-1330hrs. She gets a months paid holiday every year and eats from our kitchen. Ever so often she skips her yearly trip and goes after 2 years as her family members are mostly in UAE. its her 10th year with us...bless her!
Latest post on 16 September 2016 - 08:40
That sounds fair, especially if your house is not big. I recently hired a nanny after a 2 month extensive search and it was quite difficult. I had nannies coming from 4 bedroom villas where they took care of 2 kids, asking for 3000dhs! I have a 1 bedroom apartment and 1 child who goes to school, so no way I could justify their demands because obviously there wasn't as much work as their previous job. Nationality-wise, from my experience, nannies from Philippines expect 2000dhs+ because they are in so much demand here and it's virtually impossible to bring a new one over from Philippines (I have tried!) . The ones who had been here a few years asked for 2500dhs. Usually the ones on visit visas were happy with 2000. Also they expect 1 day off a week, paid annual leave for 30 days, and you covering cost of food, transport (if they live out) and toiletries etc. If you hire someone from Sri Lanka or Indonesia they will be happy with 1800dhs. p.s. you might get posts now saying OMG how can you give 1800 thats too low, but I know not everyone has huge budgets and still need help, so if you find a nanny whose happy with that, its no one elses concern! Hi Can I ask how you have managed to go about sponsoring a maid (if you have) in a 1 bed apt? We have been looking into it and seems impossible. We have no other options with work timings and later nursery starts. Thanks!
Latest post on 30 August 2016 - 16:02
@sourskittleashnut I really appreciate the reply and encouragement. We have a very small 3 bedroom villa and we are very clean people with no clutter. No pets, No big demands. Just a lovely little baby and a very self-sufficient soon to be in middle school age child. If we could pay more then we would and hope that once I am working, we can! In fact, due to my husband's work we can offer 2 months paid holiday each summer. I would actually prefer a helper from Sri Lanka as our experiences with help from there has been wonderful. Again. thank you so much for the reply!
Latest post on 30 August 2016 - 15:54
That sounds fair, especially if your house is not big. I recently hired a nanny after a 2 month extensive search and it was quite difficult. I had nannies coming from 4 bedroom villas where they took care of 2 kids, asking for 3000dhs! I have a 1 bedroom apartment and 1 child who goes to school, so no way I could justify their demands because obviously there wasn't as much work as their previous job. Nationality-wise, from my experience, nannies from Philippines expect 2000dhs+ because they are in so much demand here and it's virtually impossible to bring a new one over from Philippines (I have tried!) . The ones who had been here a few years asked for 2500dhs. Usually the ones on visit visas were happy with 2000. Also they expect 1 day off a week, paid annual leave for 30 days, and you covering cost of food, transport (if they live out) and toiletries etc. If you hire someone from Sri Lanka or Indonesia they will be happy with 1800dhs. p.s. you might get posts now saying OMG how can you give 1800 thats too low, but I know not everyone has huge budgets and still need help, so if you find a nanny whose happy with that, its no one elses concern!
Latest post on 30 August 2016 - 14:44
Ladies, What is a fair monthly salary for a live-in helper? I need to return to work soon so we need to consider the monthly cost upfront as it will take time for me to interview and find a job. I'm only asking about the salary and not the visa costs, etc. We essentially want full-time care for our one year old and basic household chores (ironing, beds, floors, etc) Is 1,800/mth with an increase to 2,000aed after 4 months and an annual review fair? Thanks! xx

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY