religious studies in school | ExpatWoman.com

religious studies in school

Latest post on 31 August 2016 - 20:10

Hello ladies,
looking for some advice....

My kids are going to the Ontario school in Mirdif. They are in Arabic classes for non-Arab speakers however my daughter in grade 3 has been put in the Islamic Studies class (she says there are 2 classes there) Islamic studies for muslim children where the class is taught in arabic and then one for the rest and the class is taught in English. Is that how it works here?? Everyone has to take Islamic studies?

Any insight appreciated.

Latest post on 12 October 2016 - 19:14
I teach at an american international school, so I can speak on what my school does with regards to fulfilling government requirements, but I can't promise that your school is doing the same or even if one school is doing it more correctly than the other. The other posters are correct: There are two sections of Islamic studies (again, unrelated to Arabic classes, which is completely separate): An Islamic studies class taught in Arabic and an Islamic studies class taught in English. My non-Muslim students do not attend the Islamic class. I keep them in the classroom with me, and we do separate activities. So, essentially, during that Islamic period, my students are in three separate places: islamic taught in arabic, islamic taught in english, or with me not being taught islamic studies. It is very likely though that because dad is documented as being Muslim, the government automatically enrolled your child in Islamic studies. I hear it can be difficult to say you want to opt out of Islamic studies if a child is "Muslim" on paper.
Latest post on 10 October 2016 - 12:40
Hello ladies, looking for some advice.... My kids are going to the Ontario school in Mirdif. They are in Arabic classes for non-Arab speakers however my daughter in grade 3 has been put in the Islamic Studies class (she says there are 2 classes there) Islamic studies for muslim children where the class is taught in arabic and then one for the rest and the class is taught in English. Is that how it works here?? Everyone has to take Islamic studies? Any insight appreciated. Hi Chocochic, I just want to know your feedback about Ontario Canadian school. I am planning to put my kids there. Wanna hear some feedback from parents whose kids are already there. Hows the staff/teachers? Are they certified? Whats your recommendation... thanks.
Latest post on 01 September 2016 - 20:53
:confused: I wish it was easier. Fresh minds are given info as facts, that is not what I subscribe too. Belief is, as it says, a belief. Child comes with one info from the school because that is what his teacher said so. I as parent, see it differently. I have no choice but to let it be or further confuse child's mind. :sick:
Latest post on 01 September 2016 - 10:27
The following thread would clear up some things for you. As the OP in that thread also had a muslim husband and wanted an exemption for her child. http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/topic133768-application-for-school-and-question-about-family-religion.aspx
Latest post on 01 September 2016 - 09:27
Hello ladies, looking for some advice.... My kids are going to the Ontario school in Mirdif. They are in Arabic classes for non-Arab speakers however my daughter in grade 3 has been put in the Islamic Studies class (she says there are 2 classes there) Islamic studies for muslim children where the class is taught in arabic and then one for the rest and the class is taught in English. Is that how it works here?? Everyone has to take Islamic studies? Any insight appreciated. Hi Chocochic, You havent mentioned if you are Muslim? If you are a non-Arabic speaking Muslim family, she will attend Islamic Studies, but you can put her in the English section.
Latest post on 01 September 2016 - 08:22
Hi ladies - we've actually got some helpful information about this that you can see here: http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_education_islamic_studies_16915.aspx "...it is only required that students attend Arabic classes, while the Islamic Studies class is optional to non-Muslims." Hope that helps!
Latest post on 01 September 2016 - 08:19
Hello ladies, looking for some advice.... My kids are going to the Ontario school in Mirdif. They are in Arabic classes for non-Arab speakers however my daughter in grade 3 has been put in the Islamic Studies class (she says there are 2 classes there) Islamic studies for muslim children where the class is taught in arabic and then one for the rest and the class is taught in English. Is that how it works here?? Everyone has to take Islamic studies? Any insight appreciated. Are you sure it is Islamic studies for non muslims? It could be social studies and she is confused as according to my knowledge as the other poster mentioned non muslims do not take Islamic studies.
Latest post on 01 September 2016 - 03:38
Nope that's not how it works... non Muslims children of non muslim parents don't have to take islamic education. Only Muslims take islamic education class ..some in English and some in arabic. Arabic language is compulsory for everyone.. there is usually arabic for native speakers and arabic for non-speakers. Arabic and Islamic education are two separate subjects.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY