Pet flying on Emirates.. I need advice! | ExpatWoman.com

Pet flying on Emirates.. I need advice!

Latest post on 26 September 2016 - 11:36

I am relocating back to Canada in a month and I am wondering if anyone has experienced relocating their dog through Emirates? When I brought him through KLM, I put his bed and some toys in his crate, I have heard from some people that Emirates requires a completely empty crate during the flight.. is this true?

Latest post on 26 September 2016 - 17:34
To be clear, the SkyCargo brochure did not state that these items are allowed when flying from Dubai. Maybe the line I quoted was a suggestion to make the pet more comfortable with the carrier before transit. It may have been different for us as we flew him IN via Emirates, and it was over 4 years ago. I would confirm directly with the veterinarian at Cargo Village. I can't speak to the paperwork required for cargo, as I went with in-cabin. I did process the exit visa on my own. This is a three step process including an online application for an exit permit (via moccae.gov.ae), the printing/verification/payment of the form at the veterinary office at Cargo Village, and a physical inspection of your pet by the Vet on call at the same office. If you have questions regarding the online form, I was given instructions from Dr. Jimmy (the Vet on call during my initial visit). The office is open 24 hours, and I found each Vet to be helpful and knowledgeable. As I went through this process 6 months ago, things may have changed. Personally, I visited the office at Cargo Village before bringing my pet just to have my questions answered in person. Best of Luck!
Latest post on 26 September 2016 - 13:22
Thank you so much! Not sure why my friends were not permitted to put toys and familliar objects in their crate, but this has put me much more at ease :)! I will be doing all the paperwork myself, so any advice from anyone who has flown with their pet is greatly appreciated :)
Latest post on 26 September 2016 - 12:29
Hi, The Emirates SkyCargo brochure states the following: "To make the journey more comfortable, we recommend you prepare the kennel with familiar bedding and toys and introduce it to your pet several days before travel. This way, your pet will become more accustomed to it." http://www.skycargo.com/english/Images/Animal-Care-leaflet-6_tcm548-2181554.2_tcm548-2181554.15_petcare_tcm548-2181554.pdf When our cat came to Dubai via SkyCargo, we were able to include his bed, a small toy, and a t-shirt that smelled like us inside his crate. We choose to use KLM when we relocated him to US from Dubai, as he was able to fly in-cabin with me at half the cost of cargo (including my return ticket). I know this may not relate to you given the size of your dog...

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY