Aussie ladies - advice please, moving to Melbourne | ExpatWoman.com

Aussie ladies - advice please, moving to Melbourne

Latest post on 01 October 2016 - 14:18

We are moving to Melbourne and we have no idea where to live. Our jobs are in the Tullamarine area. Family of 4 and our kids are primary school aged. Looking for a nice, family orientated, as crime free as possible, suburb. We don't necessarily need to live close to Tullamarine, don't even mind if its a 30 min commute. Have been advised to stay east or north east of the city? We don't want apartment living. Prefer a nice big, new home, so the new developments do appeal greatly to us. Or even a nice new town house. We just want a great area with a great school.
No idea about schools, whether to go public or private. Would prefer private, but don't want to spend more than about 8-9k per year per child. I know there are great public schools, but you need to live in the catchment, which schools are these?
Basically any help and advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Latest post on 11 October 2016 - 12:13
Hi LAcandy, I use to live in the northern suburbs of Melb. I can reccomend Essendon, Aberfeldie,Moonee Ponds great public transport, lovely parks loads of good schools in these areas also lovely eateries too ? These areas are older areas with a lot of renovated properties. Best bet is to have a look at both eastern and northern suburbs to be honest. I can tell you traffic is terrible that's why I loved living in this area. Good luck
Latest post on 09 October 2016 - 09:29
Thank you very much for your reply, very much appreciated.
Latest post on 03 October 2016 - 03:14
May be also post this question at some australian forums like whirlpool to get more replies. We moved to Melbourne very recently and since job is in CBD we are living in a suburb serviced by the trains as driving for work to CBD is a major hassle due to traffic. We were also recommended by many to look for houses in East. We looked as far as glen waverly, black burn , mount waverly basically all suburbs reasonably accessible by trains but were not able to get a spacious stand alone house in our price range. Rents are pricey in East, we were only getting tiny units in our budget and since there is lots of demand no one was renting out to newbies like us. Can't recommend a suburb near Tullamarine but east would be quite a commute for you. May be come and have a look around to see what feels right. One colleague lives in Essendon and is happy but she has no kids so can't recommend school. We have friends in point cook and glen waverly. Loads of good state schools in East. You can check ratings and details on myschool website to narrow down where you want to be in a suburb. There are websites to list catchment area of each school we used all these to narrow down rentals after we finalized the suburb. From what I hear on news everyday there are no crime free areas in Melbourne any more but definitely some suburbs are more family oriented than others. Happy to answer any questions. Hope it helps.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY