Maldives End of Nov with kids | ExpatWoman.com

Maldives End of Nov with kids

Latest post on 13 October 2016 - 10:24

Good morning everyone

I am hoping for some help and advice from the ladies that have been to the maldives.

so we have never been, we are thinking about going Nov 30-Dec 3 with 2 kids (aged 4 and 6) also, I will be 5 months pregnant.
We are looking for kids friendly Resort (kids club etc), all inclusive is the way to go or just look for breakfast included?
I would love love love to stay in those over the water bungalows if affordable.. we dont want to break the bank as we have a big trip to NZ mid Dec.

are transfers to islands complimentary or do they come with flights or hotel booking? is it best to book directly with hotel or via booking.com?

Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
FM

Latest post on 17 October 2016 - 10:21
Hi, Myself and my husband stopped in Atmosphere Kanafushi over Christmas and New Year last year for 11 nights, it is an all inclusive resort. The place itself was stunning, but the buffet food was really not up to scratch for us. We ended up eating in the a la carte restaurants for lunch and dinner for about 9 of the days. Which is ok, just not alot of variety when your staying at a place for 11 nights. As you are pregnant and your husband will not be drinking, I would probably suggest the all-inclusive may not be worth it. We stayed in a beach bungalow so can't answer on the water bungalows, other than to say we were advised by friends not to bother booking the water bungalows as the walk to and from them to get into the resort is lengthy and really takes it out of you ha :biggrin: - might be something to think about if pregnant too. You can ring for a buggy but not sure on the waiting time for them... We went in late December and it was red red hot! So I think you will be fine for weather :) Our seaplane transfers were included (prob because we were paying premium for the Christmas period) but normally they aren't included. Take a look on booking.com and the ones you like, contact the hotel directly to get a price and compare. Sometimes the hotel may give you a small discount or throw in some complimentary water activities. We never book on booking.com without speaking directly to the hotel first. Hope this helps! Good luck! :)
Latest post on 16 October 2016 - 12:24
I had the same problem with my son who is 9 years old he could barely concentrate on anything because of the computer games. So I had to bring him to see a psychologist ( at Life Counseling Centre at JLT). We had few skills development sessions involving educational toys and psychologist also recommended to restrict his time at the computer by 1 hour a day. So now the situation is much much better
Latest post on 16 October 2016 - 11:00
My husband and I stayed in one of the water villas during our honeymoon. I would say we loved it at first but would've booked a beach villa instead of the water villa. IMO the price of the water villa isnt worth it. We were outside the villa anyways the whole day. We were out snorkeling, or by the pool or by the beach so we didnt enjoy the villa that much. Unless you have your own pool in the villa I can say that it is better to book the water villa but since we do not want to spend more than our arms and legs we opted just a plain water villa for the sake of experiencing it. I would recommend going on all inclusive. The ala carte restaurants are costly and found it not appealing. I love going to buffets and the fact that I can just go in the restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner without thinking what to order. The spread was huge and there were a lot of varieties anyway. We went in december and though most forum says there is no rain at this time, it was raining when we got there. They said it was all because of climate change. Regarding transfers, it was very costly. we paid 2K dhs each for round trip. Now I'm planning to go back and would honestly just book it through online holiday sites like holidayme or holidayfactory since the transfers are included. When you book through agency or booking.com, you have to pay the transfers separately. I highly recommend going on snorkeling safari. We tried discovery diving but I got scared so I didnt push through. The snorkeling though was the highlight of our trip. Lots of colorful fishes to see, turtles, reef sharks and beautiful corals.
Latest post on 16 October 2016 - 10:23
Morning mjvdp9 Well, I try to have a 'win-win' situation. The stress at work is all accumulating so for both our sake, a break from here iso the answer and now's the opportunity with the few day's holiday coming up. Yes, we decided this is better as it looks as if Mauritius is currently overrated. Looking at booking.com and doing it myself but the flights are more expensive so no choice but to go for a packaged holiday. Waiting for the travel agent to come back. Have a super day! :)
Latest post on 15 October 2016 - 18:57
Oh husbands, aren't they great sometimes haha! Enjoy your trip, I'm sure anywhere you choose will be great ?
Latest post on 15 October 2016 - 11:31
Morning mjvdp9 Hahaha! Yes my husband is trying to brush the idea off. Thank you for taking the time to write. All change for the islands, now I am looking at Zanzibar instead. Not forgetting malaria tablets of course. :)
Latest post on 14 October 2016 - 20:41
We didn't need any certificate or proof of vaccination. Neither of us has been vaccinated for yellow fever. RAK is nice but nothing compared to the Maldives. Seychelles is a gorgeous place to visit but a bit harder to get around with two kids, you will need a car. The Maldives islands are great because there is generally one resort per island so there are no cars, you can just walk around the whole island.
Latest post on 14 October 2016 - 00:40
Speak to Anand from lightfoot. He planned our friend's holiday to the Maldives which they thoroughly enjoyed. He'll customise something to fit your budget. I asked for his contact details as we too are looking at a holiday there soon.
Latest post on 13 October 2016 - 22:05
Ladies Did you have to have a yellow fever certificate with you? I know there are other vaccinations required which I have, but not the yellow fever. It was stated in Lonely Planet. I am also thinking about Mauritius except it is 6.5 hours flight. It is such a rush for just three nights. My husband said what about Ras Al Khaimah?! Thank you so much. :)
Latest post on 13 October 2016 - 21:08
We have just spent 10 beautiful days in the Maldives with our 2.5yr old son. I highly recommend Holiday Inn Kandooma, it was AMAZING!! Please please do not stay in one of the over water villas, I don't care how obedient your children are..they are NOT safe for children. There are no guard rails or fences between your villa and a straight drop off into the ocean. You could look away for one second and your child could fall in. We stayed in a beach villa and it was great for the three of us but you would need the double story beach house that has two bedrooms. These are quite expensive but looked lovely and would be the right size for the four of you. We chose all inclusive but we like to indulge in the cocktails so it was worth it for us. Kids eat free so if your hubby doesn't drink then maybe it's worth just getting breakfast included..however the food is VERY expensive to buy outright so perhaps it would work out for you.
Latest post on 13 October 2016 - 21:08
We have just spent 10 beautiful days in the Maldives with our 2.5yr old son. I highly recommend Holiday Inn Kandooma, it was AMAZING!! Please please do not stay in one of the over water villas, I don't care how obedient your children are..they are NOT safe for children. There are no guard rails or fences between your villa and a straight drop off into the ocean. You could look away for one second and your child could fall in. We stayed in a beach villa and it was great for the three of us but you would need the double story beach house that has two bedrooms. These are quite expensive but looked lovely and would be the right size for the four of you. We chose all inclusive but we like to indulge in the cocktails so it was worth it for us. Kids eat free so if your hubby doesn't drink then maybe it's worth just getting breakfast included..however the food is VERY expensive to buy outright so perhaps it would work out for you.
Latest post on 13 October 2016 - 17:18
re: hotel recommendations - what is important to you? Do you want good diving? Do you want to try and see the whale sharks or mantas? Good snorkeling? A house reef? Are you willing to pay for the seaplane transfers or do you want a boat transfer? Do you want a la carte restaurants or are buffets ok?
Latest post on 13 October 2016 - 12:18
Thanks ladies.. Not fussed about alcohol as i am pregnant and hubby doesnt like to drink alone. I read somewhere that some resorts get you to sign if you insist on staying in a water bungalow.. so iw ill check that. May i please have more hotel recommendation? also is it going to be rainy end of Nov? thanks,
Latest post on 13 October 2016 - 11:25
We went in June - here are a few key points to remember: - Many resorts won't allow children under 12 or 14 to stay in the overwater bungalows. - Seaplane transfers are expensive and usually aren't included in the airfare or the resort. If you pick a resort that needs a seaplane transfer, plan on paying an additional $300-$400 per person (kids included). Once we had the flights and hotels booked through Emirates Holidays, they contacted us to arrange the seaplane (at the additional charge of course). - It's a Muslim country so alcohol is expensive...if you drink a fair bit, all-inclusive may be the best way to go. Many of the resorts won't allow you to split it though - i.e., only one person gets all-inclusive and the others do breakfast only...whatever you pick applies to all guests in the room.
Latest post on 13 October 2016 - 11:24
Hi We stayed at the Hilton before (I think it is Iru Fushi or something like that) and it was pretty good for kids. For the water bungalows - they wouldn't let us book with children under 12, so check that out when you book. We had a beach bungalow which was lovely. Enjoy your trip

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY