I'm really struggling... | ExpatWoman.com

I'm really struggling...

Latest post on 16 October 2016 - 15:28
Hi Lemzy90 I really know how you feel - I feel exactly the same - I left a good job in UK to join my husband in Doha hoping to secure work but no chance - now we are moving to Dubai in December and I hear it is going to be very difficult to get employment. I feel despondent. However I agree with other posts get out and network - once I started to do this in Doha I started feeling better - there are o many women in the same situation - i also hear about jobs through networking but unfortunately too late a we are due to move in 6 weeks. Good luck with job hunting and try find some volunteer work you want to do and also take up something you have never had the opportunity to do
Latest post on 16 October 2016 - 15:13
First of all join groups so that you are meeting people and start to network, many jobs are gained through word of mouth and referrals rather than through websites and agencies. Speak to a councilor or do some gentle exercise to boost your mood and self belief. It is difficult looking for work here, but keep going.
Latest post on 16 October 2016 - 14:49
When I came to Dubai 12 years ago, wives weren't generally working, as anything that could be employed with someone from a third world country on a minimum salary would be, you would never be served by a white face for example. If you are building your self worth in having a job here, it can be depressing. Apply for jobs as a nanny whatever if you are desperate and need the money.
Latest post on 16 October 2016 - 14:48
I am so sad you are feeling like this,but it's normal for you to feel unsettled and down given your circumstances. You perhaps should see your doc first and discuss your feelings with her/him! Perhaps some counselling would be good too. Trouble is,it costs out here. Join a group so you get to meet people. All of us have felt like this to a certain extent at some stage when moving here. Took me a year. Make use of this time to get out and about to see things. Perhaps there are other people who want to join you. Know you are not the only one feeling like this. Don't stay here if you can't afford it. We are moving out now after 13 yrs. It's got very expensive now. Take each day... Take care.
Latest post on 16 October 2016 - 14:16
Hi all, I wasn't sure whether to open up about this, as I'm very much a guarded person and find it extremely difficult to just be as honest when it comes to my inner feelings. But I really cant handle it any longer and need to let it out.... How do I begin... I've been in Dubai/Sharjah for around 16 months to be exact, and in the last year or so I decided to start looking for a job to keep occupied with and to grow as a person. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything as of yet, and have really branched out in my choices from looking for things that are what I want, to now optioning for anything at all. I've had a few interviews here and there, and for one job I had three, to which I hadn't heard back from (turns out it can do 'wonders' for your self esteem). And since the last 6 months of trawling through and through in the job searching journey it had led to me in having some really negative and frankly depressing feelings, I've suffered with depression in the last 10 years or so, on and off, and it has been manageable but lately its been its worst; I'm really (emphasis on the really) struggling. Who would have thought you can be depressed living in one of the most beautiful and privileged places on earth?? Well you can be when you feel you cant do anything about it, I just feel worthless despite my best efforts, and I look back at how hard I worked to achieve a degree despite having all the odds against me and in gaining substantial work experience in a job which I hated but I trawled through it so I could have some experience. Ultimately, it feels everything I had gained was pointless, as it hasn't served me one bit since..... People have suggested to me to get into volunteering because then you are keeping busy, but as of the last few weeks things are going downhill financially..,.My husband is currently the breadmaker as hes the one with the job, but currently his job is looking unstable, and he already has several financial commitments so there's a lot of pressure on his shoulders, and recently he has gotten a lot more down because of this. I currently feel helpless as I have no job yet so desperate to support, and if I had some money coming in, it would ease things financially for us and give the boost we need. I really don't know what else I have to do to earn a job, I apply online on a daily basis, I have visited schools/orgs to which they say 'we will contact you if anything comes up', I have contacted agencies, companies, applied repeatedly to the same organisations, I've exhausted all options to which I've lost all hope in finding a job... I no longer want to go out and meet people, or have the drive to explore the uae as I used to. Is this my life from now on...? Who knows...

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY