Lower driving age to 16 years | ExpatWoman.com

Lower driving age to 16 years

Latest post on 17 October 2016 - 09:42

We'd love to hear your thoughts on the recent announcement that there are talks to lower the driving age, and allow 16 year olds to gain their licenses... Is it good, bad? A ridiculous idea? Promoting responsibility in our teens?

[url=http://www.arabianbusiness.com/dubai-police-official-supports-granting-d... to article[/url]

Latest post on 19 October 2016 - 11:43
On first instance, I too thought, "16 year olds are kids, how can they drive"? But think of it in another way. There are plenty of drivers in their 20s and 30s who drive immaturely, and arrogantly. How much worse can 16 year olds be than that? And are teenagers nowadays really all that bad ? Or is it something that older generations have been repeating since time immemorial on how they were exemplary kids, but kids nowadays are so much worse ;) I see plenty of people being inconsiderate/rude/condescending/breaking queues, and they are all older than 20, maybe the "inconsiderate" teenagers are just following what they see ?
Latest post on 19 October 2016 - 11:41
I don't think I would be able to sleep at night if my child was driving on these roads at 18 never mind 16! Lowering the age limit here, where the standard of driving is shockingly bad to start with... nah not for me! I would be able to sleep if my child is in a taxi with some of the taxi drivers out there and the way they drive !
Latest post on 19 October 2016 - 11:15
Definitely not a good idea.
Latest post on 19 October 2016 - 11:08
You see, in comparison to the UK where I'm from, the driving age is 17. So what difference does a one year age difference make in terms of responsibility and maturity? HOWEVER Dubai's roads can be dangerous enough as it is, with maturer drivers still unable to grasp road and driving safety. Driving age needs to be 21, eat least... Perhaps they could limit age to size of engine etc. So only 25s can drive a larger sized engine. Or make insurance policies ridiculously high for younger drivers to deter them.
Latest post on 17 October 2016 - 12:07
Well I completely disagree that teenagers are more mature. So many of them lack any kind of maturity, are irresponsible and show zero consideration for anyone else, so how on earth would you expect them to behave behind the wheel of a car? If anything, the driving age should be raised! Engine size for new drivers should be limited and they should only be allowed to drive 4 door vehicles. Completely nuts idea.
Latest post on 17 October 2016 - 10:02
I don't think I would be able to sleep at night if my child was driving on these roads at 18 never mind 16! Lowering the age limit here, where the standard of driving is shockingly bad to start with... nah not for me!
Latest post on 17 October 2016 - 09:55
I find it not wise at all . 18 yrs is quite young even ,esoecially nowadays teens r not as responsible as in the old times.i will vote the age to increase to 21 not to be 16 if i have the chance. Driving especially in the gulf where highways is the norm and high speed is practised , needs quicks v wise decisions in the blink of an eye. May be in some cities in Europe where driving is slower 16th can try to drive . But as in the US and gulf it will cause major problems.teens in the 80s were much more mature unlike now.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY