HSIL - Pre cancerous cells | ExpatWoman.com

HSIL - Pre cancerous cells

Latest post on 18 October 2016 - 09:27

hi ladies

I just received my pap smear results and they show HSIL, I have an appointment with my gynae later in the week to discuss the colposcopy and possible treatments but am terrified of what this could mean as 2% of hsil cases have cancer already present.
I am just looking for ladies who have been through this with stories to share.

Thanks in advance!

Latest post on 20 October 2016 - 17:39
I've had CIN 2 and CIN 3. First time was in 2009, which was CIN3, I had the abnormal cells removed by cryotherapy at American hospital, which is freezing them off. However nowadays they don't recommend this option as its not very successful and there is a chance of not removing all the cells Recently i had CIN2 and had a colposcopy. After which they decided on doing the cone biopsy. I guess because of my previous CIN3 infection this was also at American Hospital by my healthbay gynae this involved going under general anesthetic and having the abnormal cells surgically removed (its just a thin layer they remove). It was a very quick procedure, i was under maybe 15mins i took about 2 days off work and had the weekend on top of that and was fine by the Sunday. However you are advised no swimming, tampons etc. for about 3 weeks or a month after i think it was. Cant quite remember. so far my follow up smears have been clear but recently i did have the HPV vaccine as a precaution. if you read up on CIN, it can take years and years to develop, which is why regular smears are the best thing to avoid it progressing and you can treat it early good luck!! i'm sure all will be fine :-) :):):):)
Latest post on 19 October 2016 - 09:51
Ah sarahlou123, You've made me laugh today and I desperately needed the giggles! I'm really anxious as I have a gynae appointment tomorrow to discuss the next step. The waiting and not knowing what is going on is the part that really does me in but I'm trying to keep busy, easier said than done! :confused:
Latest post on 18 October 2016 - 12:24
hi Saralou123, Thank you so much for your response, its the first time I've been able to smile since receiving the results. It took me completely unaware as my previous smears were normal! I've stayed away from googling but have done a bit of research from medical journals just to have an idea of what I'm dealing with. Thank you again for sharing your story :hug: The internet can be great for information however it can also have the reverse effect as there is so many horror stories out there. Mine was my first abnormal one too however the Gynae was amazing and discussed all the procedures and treatments before hand. I do remember all of theatre laughing on the day though as it was a cold UK winters day and when they asked me to remove the bottom half of my clothing I had pink Winnie the Poo socks on which made them all laugh. They also attached a pad to my thigh which was a conductor to the electricity they used to remove the abnormal cells and a side effect is that your leg moves on its own accord ( Disco leg I call it) I had a huge attack of the giggles as did the Theatre nurse which eased the situation. :lol:
Latest post on 18 October 2016 - 11:38
hi Saralou123, Thank you so much for your response, its the first time I've been able to smile since receiving the results. It took me completely unaware as my previous smears were normal! I've stayed away from googling but have done a bit of research from medical journals just to have an idea of what I'm dealing with. Thank you again for sharing your story :hug:
Latest post on 18 October 2016 - 11:26
hi ladies I just received my pap smear results and they show HSIL, I have an appointment with my gynae later in the week to discuss the colposcopy and possible treatments but am terrified of what this could mean as 2% of hsil cases have cancer already present. I am just looking for ladies who have been through this with stories to share. Thanks in advance! Firstly don't panic. A large % of woman have abnormal smears. HSIL is the equivalent of CIN 2/3 and CIN does not necessarily mean cancer it means any abnormal changes could progress into cervical cancer IF left untreated. I was CIN 3 over 20 years ago and had to have a colposcopy then a biopsy and some minor treatment using electricity to remove the cells all of which were painless. I then had a follow up and had to have my pap every year for 3 years and now back to every 5 years. Stay off websites that aren't trusted medical ones. Back then I had only my gynae to rely on with regards to information however with all the rubbish on the internet it is easy to read unsupported and incorrect information and get scared

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY