mother who can't control baby at restaurant | ExpatWoman.com

mother who can't control baby at restaurant

Latest post on 20 October 2016 - 11:52

I was enjoying a meal last night with my husband at a quiet (and expensive) restaurant.. What was meant to be a rare quiet and romantic evening in a posh restaurant away from the kids, ended up being very unenjoyable experience for us, as a family came in with a screaming toddler. Before anyone freaks out on me, I have no problem with babies or kids - I have kids of my own.... I do however, have a problem with parents who do not even attempt to confront the issue of their screaming kids. Call me selfish but if I am at a nice restaurant, enjoying the calming ambiance and good food with good company, the last thing I want to hear is a loud, whiney kid behind me, whose parents could honestly care less about their kid's behaviour.....Sorry.. rant is over now!

Latest post on 24 October 2016 - 09:07
There are quite a few restaurants out there that has a no children policy or no children after 9 pm, a few I can think of are; Nobu, Yuan, Bau, China Grill, Buddha Bar, Asia Asia and Karma Cafe.
Latest post on 24 October 2016 - 07:20
I think there is a time and a place and children should be restricted from entering such places... We have bars that don't allow people underage to enter (for obvious reasons), why can't the same be applied for fancy restaurants? Even at weddings, a lot of weddings the bride and groom will ask that the event is not child-friendly... I just wanted a quiet night out away from my kids for a change but i ended up getting stuck with some one else's kids instead... Totally agree with you. I do know one particular venue that changed their policy to 'No children after 10pm', as all the adults were complaining, that they were trying to have a 'grown up' night out, with a few drinks and listen to some live music and didn't appreciate all the kids running about. There's a time and a place for children and some venues and atmospheres are completely inappropriate.
Latest post on 23 October 2016 - 15:01
We have been here 7 years and it hasn't gotten better, it has gotten worse. We cannot believe how children are allowed to act in public, not to mention they yell at and hit their Nannies and show disrespect to perfect strangers. I have seen kids have complete melt downs in public places and the parents are just standing around like no big deal.. But it is simply not OK. I have no problem giving them the stink eye if it continues or ask the server to move us far away. For heaven sake, just take your child outside until they calm down or take them home because they are done with it all! I am a mother of a once hyper boy, who is now a grown, mannerly, well behaved 22 yr old man, But we have been there, It makes you want to crawl under the table. So I can relate to meltdowns. I can't relate to when its handled poorly. There were countless times we just had to leave a restaurant, store, movie, etc because he wasn't behaved. That just comes with having kids. Children learn what they live and act as they are allowed to act. Discipline and common courtesy is sorely lacking here, not just with kids, but with the adults as well. Thank you's, you're welcome, sorry or excuse me are basic courtesies that are obsolete almost, at least here. That is also why we (all of the world) are raising a bunch of entitled brats. If something doesn't change, the mentality is going to be "every person for themselves!" Nobody will have any common courtesy for others. But all those lessons starts at home in how your raise your children, especially by example.
Latest post on 23 October 2016 - 14:36
How about asking if the restaurant has "kid free" set up! learnt hard lesson and when I want my alone time with out my kid or others....go to restaurants which dont' allow kids.... I have a hyper toddler who can **** off many...so he goes to noisy places only..just saying!
Latest post on 23 October 2016 - 09:56
The title annoyed me slightly, that mothers can't control their children and then in the post it mentions that the parents were dining out with the child, like the dad isn't responsible to control the child. But fully agree with you, it's not acceptable to have your child screaming in a restaurant, they shouldn't have been out that late with the child or taken it out once started to make a loud fuss.
Latest post on 23 October 2016 - 09:47
I think there is a time and a place and children should be restricted from entering such places... We have bars that don't allow people underage to enter (for obvious reasons), why can't the same be applied for fancy restaurants? Even at weddings, a lot of weddings the bride and groom will ask that the event is not child-friendly... I just wanted a quiet night out away from my kids for a change but i ended up getting stuck with some one else's kids instead...
Latest post on 21 October 2016 - 08:35
The thing I find annoying is that unlike back home, the staff here will never interfere. I think they are afraid to lose their jobs if they tell the wrong person to calm their children down. I was once walking in an expensive furniture store and a kid about ten years old would not stop screaming. (one of the things that can't stop surprising me- it's not just babies and toddlers anymore that tantrum here). It was after work so I was pretty tired and I just quietly sighed to myself (not to the kid or his parent) "when will you stop already" to receive a long tirade from his father in Arabic along with the English "What's your problem?". The kid shut down (so it does work talking to the children) and everyone in the shop looked petrified. I am pretty sure the father would have me fired if I was working there.
Latest post on 20 October 2016 - 21:02
I have seen this happen a lot here. Kids running around screaming, throwing food etc and the parents are there taking selfies! My husband and I have been out for dinner with our 2.5yr old quite a lot and if he cracks it we just get the food to go and leave or one of us takes him for a walk until he settles.
Latest post on 20 October 2016 - 19:44
Honestly, I would give the kid a 'hard' stare and if the kid does not get the message to shut up, then you need to ask the parents kindly to keep the noise level down a bit. After all, it is a public place for everyone to eat in peace and if it still does not work, then ask the waiter to move you to another table far away from them!
Latest post on 20 October 2016 - 15:27
Absolutely agree with you 110%. Some people are so selfish and oblivious to the mahem their kids create in restaurants. The least anyone should do with a screaming child is take it outside until the screaming stops.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY