Newbie with school questions | ExpatWoman.com

Newbie with school questions

Latest post on 24 October 2016 - 13:48

Hi all
I'm hoping someone can help with a number of questions I have regarding schools in Abu Dhabi.
My husband is moving in December 2016 from UK to AD, with myself and my daughter (5yo) following in March 2017. We're looking to apply for schools for Term 3 of 2016/2017 academic year.
We have applications for a number of schools, but they are asking for Visa numbers, emirates ID numbers, etc - are these something we can get prior to relocating? We may only have a week or so between coming to AD and starting school, so I'm not sure if this is long enough to get all the necessary paperwork.

Thanks

Latest post on 21 November 2016 - 23:33
Hi Miss Kim, I just wanted to mention that if you have a driver's license (depending on country issued) you can drive in the UAE until you receive your visa. Once you have your visa then you will have to change to a UAE license right away. Hi Elaine597, Don't worry about the Emirates ID's etc. The school will wait until you have them. I had to wait about 3 months for our visas to be done when I first moved to Abu Dhabi. Just make sure to provide them with a letter or some form of proof that it is being processed. Just note that they will not release any report cards or records until you have given them a copy of your visas. Respectfully, Anony :)
Latest post on 25 October 2016 - 15:59
Hi all I'm hoping someone can help with a number of questions I have regarding schools in Abu Dhabi. My husband is moving in December 2016 from UK to AD, with myself and my daughter (5yo) following in March 2017. We're looking to apply for schools for Term 3 of 2016/2017 academic year. We have applications for a number of schools, but they are asking for Visa numbers, emirates ID numbers, etc - are these something we can get prior to relocating? We may only have a week or so between coming to AD and starting school, so I'm not sure if this is long enough to get all the necessary paperwork. Thanks Hi Elaine597, I arrived in Dubai just over three weeks ago having not really done any homework on schools as I was aware of all the documents required to apply for a place a most schools. We only had the option of one school as the others were far too expensive or full but to be honest loved the one that was available. They were very understanding about our situation and once my daughter had sat a simple entrance test, we were offered a place. They knew we didn't have all the relevant paperwork as it takes so long to get it all. This is what we required to get her into school - * My husband needed his visa * We need a lease/deed on a property you were renting along with a letter from the power company and water company. (Both these have some abbreviation which has slipped my mind) * Along with a letter from his company informing them our Visa's are being processed. Once you have your Visa's you then can apply for an Emirates ID. Then you can apply for a drivers licence And finally an alcohol licence. It's a long procedure. The school were happy to accept my husband's visa along with a letter informing the school that they were processing our visa's. We also had to provide a letter from her previous school stating when she started and finished at the school and what year she was in. Once they had these and we had paid the school fees, she was allowed to start school which for us was less than two weeks from when we had arrived. We are still not in possession of our visa's and are not sure when we will receive them so I am not allowed to drive! Which is a pain as it also took another week before my daughter could ride the bus to school which meant I was catching a taxi for morning drop offs and afternoon pick ups! If you would like to know any more information as I am going through the process right now, please send me a PM. Good luck. Hi Miss Kim Thanks for your help - it really is a steep learning curve! No doubt I'll be on the forum a lot over the coming weeks and months looking for more advice! Thanks again
Latest post on 25 October 2016 - 14:33
Hi all I'm hoping someone can help with a number of questions I have regarding schools in Abu Dhabi. My husband is moving in December 2016 from UK to AD, with myself and my daughter (5yo) following in March 2017. We're looking to apply for schools for Term 3 of 2016/2017 academic year. We have applications for a number of schools, but they are asking for Visa numbers, emirates ID numbers, etc - are these something we can get prior to relocating? We may only have a week or so between coming to AD and starting school, so I'm not sure if this is long enough to get all the necessary paperwork. Thanks Hi Elaine597, I arrived in Dubai just over three weeks ago having not really done any homework on schools as I was aware of all the documents required to apply for a place a most schools. We only had the option of one school as the others were far too expensive or full but to be honest loved the one that was available. They were very understanding about our situation and once my daughter had sat a simple entrance test, we were offered a place. They knew we didn't have all the relevant paperwork as it takes so long to get it all. This is what we required to get her into school - * My husband needed his visa * We need a lease/deed on a property you were renting along with a letter from the power company and water company. (Both these have some abbreviation which has slipped my mind) * Along with a letter from his company informing them our Visa's are being processed. Once you have your Visa's you then can apply for an Emirates ID. Then you can apply for a drivers licence And finally an alcohol licence. It's a long procedure. The school were happy to accept my husband's visa along with a letter informing the school that they were processing our visa's. We also had to provide a letter from her previous school stating when she started and finished at the school and what year she was in. Once they had these and we had paid the school fees, she was allowed to start school which for us was less than two weeks from when we had arrived. We are still not in possession of our visa's and are not sure when we will receive them so I am not allowed to drive! Which is a pain as it also took another week before my daughter could ride the bus to school which meant I was catching a taxi for morning drop offs and afternoon pick ups! If you would like to know any more information as I am going through the process right now, please send me a PM. Good luck.
Latest post on 24 October 2016 - 14:14
Thank you. We've been informed there is a space available at one of the schools we have applied to for Term 3. I'll get back in touch with them and let them know we don't have the ID numbers yet.
Latest post on 24 October 2016 - 14:01
hi! Have you first checked with the schools if they will have a seat for your daughter and will accept applications for Term 3? A lot of the popular schools will be full. If you havent called them, then it's best you do that first, and also let them know on the phone that since you will have just arrived to UAE you will not have your Emirates ID etc ready, and they can guide you. I don't think it should be a problem that you dont have ID numbers yet, because my daughter is in a GEMS school and for the government KHDA school contract they require Emirates ID for both parents and the child. They had a note saying if you are new to UAE and don't have your ID then please let the registrar know. So it is something that schools here are aware of. Good luck!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY