New to Dubai :-) | ExpatWoman.com

New to Dubai :-)

Latest post on 27 November 2016 - 15:46
Hi there, anyone going to the coffee meet-up tomorrow?
Latest post on 16 November 2016 - 12:08
In Dubai everything is possible, that's what makes it so great. ;) Whether the Hotel Apartment will help you with shipping or not will be up to the one you end up living in temporarily, bear in mind most come furnished so you would have to store your stuff somewhere until you find a place of your own (at extra cost) unless you find an unfurnished one. Then it is up to negotiations with the person in charge. Most flats offer 1 year contracts, it is very difficult to find decent ones that offer shorter stay but possible, a few friends managed to sign 6 months or 9 months too but was rare. Dubizzle, propertyfinder can be useful websites to check. Thanks Skyfall, I will be using a relocation company for the move, and don;t have much furniture I want to move, mostly cloths, books, ornaments, TV. Just wondered if a hotel apartment would allow that? Will look at property finder and dubizzle. Thanks again!:-) I just noticed a one bed flat available on the site justproperty in the Views - furnished and serviced for 14,000 AED a month with an agent called PK Properties - to whom I have no connection - minimum time is one month. There will no doubt be some others. I think Edwards and Towers also does short lets. Other sites are propertyfinder and bayut.
Latest post on 16 November 2016 - 07:47
You'll have to speak to the hotel or hotel apartment to find out what they allow.
Latest post on 15 November 2016 - 20:05
In Dubai everything is possible, that's what makes it so great. ;) Whether the Hotel Apartment will help you with shipping or not will be up to the one you end up living in temporarily, bear in mind most come furnished so you would have to store your stuff somewhere until you find a place of your own (at extra cost) unless you find an unfurnished one. Then it is up to negotiations with the person in charge. Most flats offer 1 year contracts, it is very difficult to find decent ones that offer shorter stay but possible, a few friends managed to sign 6 months or 9 months too but was rare. Dubizzle, propertyfinder can be useful websites to check. Thanks Skyfall, I will be using a relocation company for the move, and don;t have much furniture I want to move, mostly cloths, books, ornaments, TV. Just wondered if a hotel apartment would allow that? Will look at property finder and dubizzle. Thanks again!:-)
Latest post on 15 November 2016 - 20:05
In Dubai everything is possible, that's what makes it so great. ;) Whether the Hotel Apartment will help you with shipping or not will be up to the one you end up living in temporarily, bear in mind most come furnished so you would have to store your stuff somewhere until you find a place of your own (at extra cost) unless you find an unfurnished one. Then it is up to negotiations with the person in charge. Most flats offer 1 year contracts, it is very difficult to find decent ones that offer shorter stay but possible, a few friends managed to sign 6 months or 9 months too but was rare. Dubizzle, propertyfinder can be useful websites to check. Thanks Skyfall, I will be using a relocation company for the move, and don;t have much furniture I want to move, mostly cloths, books, ornaments, TV. Just wondered if a hotel apartment would allow that? Will look at property finder and dubizzle. Thanks again!:-)
Latest post on 15 November 2016 - 19:27
Hi Skyfall, I was there but I guess we missed each other! Hopefully next time :-) Managed to find Rusamerican and miss kim. Which end of the table were you at?
Latest post on 15 November 2016 - 17:31
In Dubai everything is possible, that's what makes it so great. ;) Whether the Hotel Apartment will help you with shipping or not will be up to the one you end up living in temporarily, bear in mind most come furnished so you would have to store your stuff somewhere until you find a place of your own (at extra cost) unless you find an unfurnished one. Then it is up to negotiations with the person in charge. Most flats offer 1 year contracts, it is very difficult to find decent ones that offer shorter stay but possible, a few friends managed to sign 6 months or 9 months too but was rare. Dubizzle, propertyfinder can be useful websites to check.
Latest post on 15 November 2016 - 17:11
Shame as it was a great turnout! Try to make it on the 21st! You might be surprised that some medicine that is only prescription elsewhere can be simply purchased over the counter (Elocom lotion for example that contains steroids), but GP is your best bet, make an appointment for a consultation then they can do the prescription. All depends on the insurance you'll end up having here. Whether that is through a company or private will determine how good it will be as well as many people do not like to pay a lot for premiums while a company can offer you (through negotiations) a better tier hopefully. Alico and Allianz are both very good and provide international emergency covers as well. Rent first is my advice, then see if you like it enough to buy it. ;) Betterhomes is quite good. Thanks. I tried BetterHomes, they never seem to get back to me even when I was in Dubai. You're right renting initially would be better. In Dubai can you rent for less than a year or is that only possible via Hote lApartments? I have lots of things to move there as well, so not sure if a Hotel Apartment will allow me tp get my shipment there. My move is self funded.
Latest post on 15 November 2016 - 08:39
Shame as it was a great turnout! Try to make it on the 21st! You might be surprised that some medicine that is only prescription elsewhere can be simply purchased over the counter (Elocom lotion for example that contains steroids), but GP is your best bet, make an appointment for a consultation then they can do the prescription. All depends on the insurance you'll end up having here. Whether that is through a company or private will determine how good it will be as well as many people do not like to pay a lot for premiums while a company can offer you (through negotiations) a better tier hopefully. Alico and Allianz are both very good and provide international emergency covers as well. Rent first is my advice, then see if you like it enough to buy it. ;) Betterhomes is quite good.
Latest post on 15 November 2016 - 01:10
Anyone going on the 14th? I missed today's meeting ???
Latest post on 15 November 2016 - 01:06
Hi Everyone I am new-ish to Dubai, My husband and I moved here in July but we have been flying in and out. Now it feels real, apartment sorted etc. I am from London and currently living in the Marina. I work from home part-time so it's not so easy meeting new people even though i consider myself a friendly person :-), Is anyone else in the same boat? If anyone fancies a coffee or a walk around the Marina please let me know :-) Thanks :-) Hello i'm definitely on the same boat .. i also work from home and would live to have some new friends .. please if there will be any gathering i would love to join ???
Latest post on 14 November 2016 - 19:32
Any help with Medical insurance that do not charge the world for preexisting conditions? I also would like to know how do we get prescription medicine in Dubai? Silly questions - but in UK it's a lot easier :-)
Latest post on 14 November 2016 - 19:22
Hi, I'm looking to move to Dubai soon. Can you recommend any good estate agents who can help with purchasing an apartment or rent as the second option? We used Nutwood www.nutwoodme.com Elaine and Carmen were both very helpful Thanks, will look into them.
Latest post on 14 November 2016 - 18:52
Hi Everyone I am new-ish to Dubai, My husband and I moved here in July but we have been flying in and out. Now it feels real, apartment sorted etc. I am from London and currently living in the Marina. I work from home part-time so it's not so easy meeting new people even though i consider myself a friendly person :-), Is anyone else in the same boat? If anyone fancies a coffee or a walk around the Marina please let me know :-) Thanks :-) I'm also fairly new to Dubai and live in the Marina. The Costa coffee is very popular but there is a nice one at the golf club as well. Also try searching Facebook as there are some groups on there; Marina Gals is one, Dubai Ladies Community is another. The benefit of these is that you can contact members individually!!
Latest post on 14 November 2016 - 18:35
Hi, I'm looking to move to Dubai soon. Can you recommend any good estate agents who can help with purchasing an apartment or rent as the second option? We used Nutwood www.nutwoodme.com Elaine and Carmen were both very helpful
Latest post on 14 November 2016 - 18:08
Hi, I'm looking to move to Dubai soon. Can you recommend any good estate agents who can help with purchasing an apartment or rent as the second option?
Latest post on 14 November 2016 - 09:18
Im going this morning! See you there Marina10!
Latest post on 08 November 2016 - 18:34
Hi Ladies I went to the one the 7th and it was brilliant, got to meet some very nice people. Only downside was there were over 30 people so you can only really talk to the people within reach of you. Were any of you there? I plan to go to the next one on the 14th.
Latest post on 08 November 2016 - 13:40
Hi Rusamerican86 Really hope you will make it, always feels a little daunting when you don't know anyone but let's be brave! :-) I'm sure it will be a fun coffee morning. Where in the Marina are you based? I'm very close to that Costa coffee shop where those meetings are held, Marinascape Trident towers. But my husband told me just now we need to go to Abu Dhabi on Monday! :cry: I guess I will have to try to make to the one on Nov 14. I'm in the same tower and arrived in October - I'm getting cabin fever and need to get out and about! bye: That's awesome! I'm going to try my best to show up on the 14th!
Latest post on 08 November 2016 - 09:42
Anyone going on the 14th?
Latest post on 08 November 2016 - 08:27
Hi Rusamerican86 Really hope you will make it, always feels a little daunting when you don't know anyone but let's be brave! :-) I'm sure it will be a fun coffee morning. Where in the Marina are you based? I'm very close to that Costa coffee shop where those meetings are held, Marinascape Trident towers. But my husband told me just now we need to go to Abu Dhabi on Monday! :cry: I guess I will have to try to make to the one on Nov 14. I'm in the same tower and arrived in October - I'm getting cabin fever and need to get out and about! bye:
Latest post on 08 November 2016 - 08:24
That would be great! I've just seen the rues of the forum and it's suggested that initial meet ups are held at their coffee mornings can you make the Marina Walk one on the 7th November at 10am? Where do you find out about the coffee morning meet ups? I arrived in October and am desperate to meet people - cabin fever is setting in!!!
Latest post on 02 November 2016 - 20:50
Hi Rusamerican86 Really hope you will make it, always feels a little daunting when you don't know anyone but let's be brave! :-) I'm sure it will be a fun coffee morning. Where in the Marina are you based? I'm very close to that Costa coffee shop where those meetings are held, Marinascape Trident towers. But my husband told me just now we need to go to Abu Dhabi on Monday! :cry: I guess I will have to try to make to the one on Nov 14.
Latest post on 01 November 2016 - 16:54
Hi Rusamerican86 Really hope you will make it, always feels a little daunting when you don't know anyone but let's be brave! :-) I'm sure it will be a fun coffee morning. Where in the Marina are you based?
Latest post on 01 November 2016 - 15:04
Hi Everyone I am new-ish to Dubai, My husband and I moved here in July but we have been flying in and out. Now it feels real, apartment sorted etc. I am from London and currently living in the Marina. I work from home part-time so it's not so easy meeting new people even though i consider myself a friendly person :-), Is anyone else in the same boat? If anyone fancies a coffee or a walk around the Marina please let me know :-) Thanks :-) Hi! I'm totally in the same boat, arrived here in August and live in Marina as well. I have been meaning to attend one of those coffee morning meetings but always feel kinda shy. I will definitely come Nov 7. :)
Latest post on 01 November 2016 - 15:04
Hi Everyone I am new-ish to Dubai, My husband and I moved here in July but we have been flying in and out. Now it feels real, apartment sorted etc. I am from London and currently living in the Marina. I work from home part-time so it's not so easy meeting new people even though i consider myself a friendly person :-), Is anyone else in the same boat? If anyone fancies a coffee or a walk around the Marina please let me know :-) Thanks :-) Hi! I'm totally in the same boat, arrived here in August and live in Marina as well. I have been meaning to attend one of those coffee morning meetings but always feel kinda shy. I will definitely come Nov 7. :)
Latest post on 01 November 2016 - 10:09
Hello Would be great to meet you at the next coffee meet up. It's near the Spinneys apparently. 10am - 12noon @ Costa Coffee, Marina Walk on Monday 7th November. Have you just moved back? Beautician, look forward to meeting you! Lena
Latest post on 31 October 2016 - 18:46
Hi, I am also nearly (back) in Dubai and would love to make some new friends so would also be interested in meeting up for a coffee....Where exactly is the coffee meet-up?
Latest post on 31 October 2016 - 09:42
Sure;)that's nice...see you there!nice day
Latest post on 31 October 2016 - 08:35
That would be great! I've just seen the rues of the forum and it's suggested that initial meet ups are held at their coffee mornings can you make the Marina Walk one on the 7th November at 10am?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY