Am Finding It Difficult Getting A Job | ExpatWoman.com

Am Finding It Difficult Getting A Job

Latest post on 09 November 2016 - 10:28

Good Morning,

Apologies to the admin team for posting this. But i thought to take a chance.

So basically finding it difficult getting a HR job despite maximising all avenues i know of.
Have had 7 interviews this year. Got two via Linkedin and two via direct application through their career portals, one through an agency and the rest i can't trace but just got an invitation to interview.
And a whole lot of we will get back to you and promises from contacts.

It's been going on for over a year now. And i don't think my nationality is why am not getting the job.
Yet despite the interest my CV gets, have not been able to get a job offer. And it's very essential i get a job before this year ends.
So am turning to this forum, perhaps you may know anyone that is looking for HR talent. I have good work experience, masters in human resources and plan to start studying for a CIPD qualification after 3 months on the new job.
So ladies is anyone looking to hire a HR talent? Or knows someone who knows someone that is hiring? Please reach out to me here.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Latest post on 04 March 2017 - 09:47
Just keep on grinding! I hope you will be able to land the right job for you!
Latest post on 02 March 2017 - 11:25
Hello Ladies, Thanks for all your encouraging advice when i posted this some months back. Just a quick update maybe this part will help someone. Through networking i got a part time admin job (twice a week). With the understanding that i can leave as soon as i get a full time job. Thank God for that. I was here on my own visa but decided to not renew my company license ( the only benefit i got was the residence visa) in order to let go of the financial burden it became. I had a settlement for my card already and informed the bank i will be leaving the country for a visa change. I went back to my country for a few weeks to relax. I almost did not want to come back but i thought they trusted me to come back, i will do what is honourable and stick to my words. More so my one month salary if i get a full time job can clear what is left to pay on the settlement. Back to my request Now am back to Dubai on a 3 months visa and putting it out again, please if you are hiring for a HR Generalist, Employee Relations,Office Manager, Business Development roles or other roles where my skill set are transferable , please let me send my CV across to you. Thanks again for listening and for your much anticipated help.
Latest post on 27 November 2016 - 20:44
Hi latte, you could contact a company called peoplezee.com..go to their website and read about them..it may help...
Latest post on 21 November 2016 - 23:09
Hi Latte, I just saw your post, my ex company is looking for an HR for them. I might be able to help but I can not give out email address and the company name on this forum. See if you can drop your email address here for a while and then delete it. @freaking92 Thanks a bunch. Sorry for my late response. Am really looking forward to reading from you. Thanks, thanks.
Latest post on 21 November 2016 - 15:42
Hi Latte, I just saw your post, my ex company is looking for an HR for them. I might be able to help but I can not give out email address and the company name on this forum. See if you can drop your email address here for a while and then delete it.
Latest post on 17 November 2016 - 11:08
Sure thing Lattle! Just inform us when you finally got your job. Best of luck! :)
Latest post on 16 November 2016 - 19:28
Thanks @annorman, skyfall and Judea Smith for the encouragement. I was at the HR Summit that just finished today and it was really worth it. I will keep networking like you all have advised.
Latest post on 15 November 2016 - 10:05
Hello there Lattle! My advice for you is to don't lose hope. You still got a lot of time. The right things will come at the right time. So persevere. If you really want to have this job, then keep grinding. I hope you get your job as soon as possible :)
Latest post on 15 November 2016 - 08:42
Unfortunately in this region, it is still very much 'who you know' and its very difficult to get something by relying on the internet / recruitment agents. I think the fact that you've had 7 interviews this year shows that your profile is strong (I know loads of people who would be happy to get any interview to keep them motivated during an incredibly frustrating process). Within my circle of friends, almost everyone who has found a job in Dubai, has done so via knowing someone who has a high position (or someone who knows someone else who might be able to help). I think this is the best way - don't feel bad / proud by asking everyone you know (and ask them to do the same with their friends and colleagues) and I'm pretty sure something will work out for you....you also stand a far better chance of being successful at interview if you are a warm rather than cold candidate. Some big organisations also have incentive schemes to refer friends for vacancies as statistically this provides a bit of quality control around candidates. Good luck and keep trying - the big benefit you have is that all companies, regardless of sector, requires experienced HR people! Happy Hunting! 100% agreed! Networking is key! Meet as many people face to face as possible, put in that effort to organise your days where you see people every day, no matter if they are stay at home wives, or singletons, or are unemployed themselves now, etc...people talk, jobs are 'advertised' very often without actually being advertised.... Hope you'll find one soon!
Latest post on 15 November 2016 - 00:52
Unfortunately in this region, it is still very much 'who you know' and its very difficult to get something by relying on the internet / recruitment agents. I think the fact that you've had 7 interviews this year shows that your profile is strong (I know loads of people who would be happy to get any interview to keep them motivated during an incredibly frustrating process). Within my circle of friends, almost everyone who has found a job in Dubai, has done so via knowing someone who has a high position (or someone who knows someone else who might be able to help). I think this is the best way - don't feel bad / proud by asking everyone you know (and ask them to do the same with their friends and colleagues) and I'm pretty sure something will work out for you....you also stand a far better chance of being successful at interview if you are a warm rather than cold candidate. Some big organisations also have incentive schemes to refer friends for vacancies as statistically this provides a bit of quality control around candidates. Good luck and keep trying - the big benefit you have is that all companies, regardless of sector, requires experienced HR people! Happy Hunting!
Latest post on 13 November 2016 - 16:38
I agree on what has been said previously. After resigning my previous position due to moving cities it took me personally 13 months to find a suitable position. Many rejections, ridiculous offers and I have invested a lot of time in attending interviews. In my opinion LinkedIn premium works as I had several interviews through it in the past and even if it costs approx 150 AED/ monthly you can directly get in touch with recruiters and decision makers in organisations. Other than as it was mentioned above, connections are very important. Make sure your network knows that you are seeking for a new role. I am sure that you will end up finding the right job so just hang in there and keep sending applications. I know it's easy to despair but know that quiet a few of us been there and even though it can take a lot of time, things will fall into place in the end. Thanks Zuhariah for the advice. Am really trying not to despair and be hopeful. That advice means a lot. Am using maximising LinkedIn just that have not been lucky so far. But like you said things will fall in pace some day. I will keep on applying and networking. Hopefully i will meet my hiring manager soon. Thanks again:)
Latest post on 13 November 2016 - 16:26
Hi Latte, I have been looking for work also in the last few months and I wanted to offer you some advice based on what I have learnt and advice from people I have met.... 1. Jobs on Linked In are not always real in that some companies use them as a means to get personal information and then put you on their email list so you start to get unsolicited mail. Also even when jobs are really available the HR Team may not even look at applicants as they have been told to advertise through LI, but if they can't fill the post then they can use a recruitment company which they would much prefer to do so they just go through the motions of advertising it. It's really frustrating and I really sympathise with you, but you can use LI in the following ways to help:- - Network, network, network.... Start connecting with people through LI who are in roles you would like. If you feel bold enough, send a couple an In mail and ask if they would like to meet for a coffee to share their experience of working in HR in Dubai. Look for companies you would like to work for and contact the HR team there - again they may not have an immediate vacancy but there is more chances of them remembering you later... Many companies have vacancies that they don't advertise so it pays to go direct as one of the others has suggested. - Join HR groups on LI so you can see who are the key people and follow them or connect with them - Post some interesting articles yourself so people will start noticing you (make sure your profile is up to date of course ;) LI is a great tool but not necessarily for applying for jobs.... 2. Make sure you attend as many HR events as possible like the breakfast that EW is promoting... http://www.expatwoman.com/hrbreakfast.aspx And there is a huge 3 day HR Summit starting tomorrow at the Convention Centre http://hrsummitexpo.com/ Go to this each of the 3 days if you are available - not only does it have fantastic seminars where you can learn so much, but it is absolutely the best place to meet people and network both in terms of the exhibitors and the people visiting. You never know who you may meet so be open to chatting with anyone. Hope this helps - it's really all about who you know here, and you have to push yourself out of your comfort zone to be forward and connect/talk to people. Good luck with it all and hope you find something soon.... Thanks Elm01 for your thorough advice. Honestly have done everything advised here. I got my first job through LinkedIn so i really believe in that platform. But like you said, i feel these days they just advertise those jobs for audit trail purposes and then go ahead to hire someone sourced through other avenues. I will be attending the HR summit as well this year. Am really about the free seminars they are offering. Have concentrated on writing directly to hiring managers on Linkedin like you noted. I got a few responses today, i just hope the conversation can continue . I will try to make the expatwoman breakfast as well. Thanks for the encouragement and i wish you the best as well.
Latest post on 13 November 2016 - 16:19
I agree on what has been said previously. After resigning my previous position due to moving cities it took me personally 13 months to find a suitable position. Many rejections, ridiculous offers and I have invested a lot of time in attending interviews. In my opinion LinkedIn premium works as I had several interviews through it in the past and even if it costs approx 150 AED/ monthly you can directly get in touch with recruiters and decision makers in organisations. Other than as it was mentioned above, connections are very important. Make sure your network knows that you are seeking for a new role. I am sure that you will end up finding the right job so just hang in there and keep sending applications. I know it's easy to despair but know that quiet a few of us been there and even though it can take a lot of time, things will fall into place in the end.
Latest post on 13 November 2016 - 16:10
Try recruitment agencies, there is one that helped alot of my female friends to find part time jobs here in dubai Thanks for the advice. Am in touch with a few of them. And got two interviews through agencies. Can you name this recruitment agency please?
Latest post on 13 November 2016 - 15:34
Hi Latte, I have been looking for work also in the last few months and I wanted to offer you some advice based on what I have learnt and advice from people I have met.... 1. Jobs on Linked In are not always real in that some companies use them as a means to get personal information and then put you on their email list so you start to get unsolicited mail. Also even when jobs are really available the HR Team may not even look at applicants as they have been told to advertise through LI, but if they can't fill the post then they can use a recruitment company which they would much prefer to do so they just go through the motions of advertising it. It's really frustrating and I really sympathise with you, but you can use LI in the following ways to help:- - Network, network, network.... Start connecting with people through LI who are in roles you would like. If you feel bold enough, send a couple an In mail and ask if they would like to meet for a coffee to share their experience of working in HR in Dubai. Look for companies you would like to work for and contact the HR team there - again they may not have an immediate vacancy but there is more chances of them remembering you later... Many companies have vacancies that they don't advertise so it pays to go direct as one of the others has suggested. - Join HR groups on LI so you can see who are the key people and follow them or connect with them - Post some interesting articles yourself so people will start noticing you (make sure your profile is up to date of course ;) LI is a great tool but not necessarily for applying for jobs.... 2. Make sure you attend as many HR events as possible like the breakfast that EW is promoting... http://www.expatwoman.com/hrbreakfast.aspx And there is a huge 3 day HR Summit starting tomorrow at the Convention Centre http://hrsummitexpo.com/ Go to this each of the 3 days if you are available - not only does it have fantastic seminars where you can learn so much, but it is absolutely the best place to meet people and network both in terms of the exhibitors and the people visiting. You never know who you may meet so be open to chatting with anyone. Hope this helps - it's really all about who you know here, and you have to push yourself out of your comfort zone to be forward and connect/talk to people. Good luck with it all and hope you find something soon....
Latest post on 13 November 2016 - 13:49
Try recruitment agencies, there is one that helped alot of my female friends to find part time jobs here in dubai
Latest post on 09 November 2016 - 12:46
No I mean, looking for through the recruitment sections of company websites If you would like to approach specific companies most of which have their own personal websites ie. Al Shaya http://careers.alshaya.com/ or https://careers.sabis.net/ etc.....You should also look at headhunters or recruitment agencies that are based overseas the recruit for the region, look in your country of origin and send them your CV. A good place to keep an eye on is https://jobs.theguardian.com/jobs/middle-east/
Latest post on 09 November 2016 - 12:16
I think you need to approach companies via their websites, attend exhibitions and business council events make an effort to network so that you meet business owners and decision makers directly. You should try connecting with people in BNI Dubai - http://www.bni.com/Default.aspx?tabid=372 as well the Referral Institute http://www.referralinstitute-me.com/index.php/en-us/ Approaching companies via their website? I think that's Linkedin you are talking about right? I will look into the referrals you made. Thanks
Latest post on 09 November 2016 - 11:44
I think you need to approach companies via their websites, attend exhibitions and business council events make an effort to network so that you meet business owners and decision makers directly. You should try connecting with people in BNI Dubai - http://www.bni.com/Default.aspx?tabid=372 as well the Referral Institute http://www.referralinstitute-me.com/index.php/en-us/
Latest post on 09 November 2016 - 11:17
Good morning, Did you try approaching companies directly? Good Morning to you too, Yes i have tried that approach as well. Through Linkedin and got two interviews. Thanks for the advice
Latest post on 09 November 2016 - 10:34
Good morning, Did you try approaching companies directly?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY