Problem with tenant paying | ExpatWoman.com

Problem with tenant paying

Latest post on 20 November 2016 - 09:24

Hello.

Just looking for some advice.

I'm having an issue with my tenant sadly, as he keeps asking for an extension on paying his next rent instalment. I've already been kind and given one extension, but now it's impacting me as I have a mortgage payment due and my own rent due - being a freelancer and self employed I am constantly chasing payments and am owed thousands by various companies.

I'm at a loss as to what to do at this stage.

Latest post on 22 November 2016 - 09:56
Hello there fairy dust. You should take it into action because at the end, you're the one who's going to suffer. If you don't want to end up being completely broke, then you must take action. I hope everything went well for you :)
Latest post on 21 November 2016 - 12:08
Didn't he give you post-dated cheques? I would send him message that you will deposit cheque by end of week...if he bounces cheque he will to jail unless he pays up... Not entirely true: if someone's cheque bounces then the bank simply tells the person trying to cash the cheque in that there are insufficient funds in that account and will fine the account holder AED100 or whatever their fine is. Then the person who was given the cheque can try cashing it in again and again and again, the bank will keep fining the account holder as many times as a cheque is presented that cannot be honoured. A person will ONLY go to jail (according to Dubai law) and get charged with misdemeanour felony charges if the person who received the cheque takes it to to criminal court and says the cheque has become a debt and has not been honoured. The bank per se does nothing to anybody, only assigns fines to the account holder.
Latest post on 21 November 2016 - 09:53
Didn't he give you post-dated cheques? I would send him message that you will deposit cheque by end of week...if he bounces cheque he will to jail unless he pays up...
Latest post on 21 November 2016 - 09:28
Does it says anything about tenant not paying his rent in the contract? There might be a clause if rent not paid within 30 days, the owner can take possession. Ask Rera for free advice. Good luck!
Latest post on 21 November 2016 - 07:39
Thank you all for the advice and kind words. Very useful :)
Latest post on 20 November 2016 - 17:03
No sage advice - just want to say that I'm truly sorry you're going through such trying financial times. I hope everything soon turns in your favour. <<< hugs >>> NL
Latest post on 20 November 2016 - 16:55
Find out about law on debt recovery and seizure of assets - have his car seized ?!
Latest post on 20 November 2016 - 16:43
I had a similar slam a few years ago, money wise, due to a changed bank account and salary delays. We had 0 dirham to last 3 weeks. We got through, my DD was potty trained overnight out of necessity but we learnt a lot and learnt how much 1 dirham was worth. I switched from a 4000K weekly budget to a 100AED weekly budget because i learnt to value money. This is not helpful but just a thought: have you gotten stuck in a just safe spot and needed a shake up? It happens. You think you could not survive but then are forced to. Your dh may change the amount he wants as a wage and get the job because he knows he can survive. And things are back at that time again. Non payment is the norm and many companies will close. So by learning exacrlt what you need, by being forced to learn, you will start a new path. In the meantime, offer the people who owe you money a payment plan to pay you off or say if they pay by National Day they can avail a 25 percent discount. Lose to gain.
Latest post on 20 November 2016 - 15:52
Do you or the agent have a record of where he works ?- if so - go there and demand cash from him in front of as many co workers as possible. Depending on the nationality - shout loudly at him etc. If he says he hasn't got cash tell him you will go with him to bank/ATM or tell him to get a bank loan. Complain to his boss etc.
Latest post on 20 November 2016 - 15:48
Unfortunately November has not been kind to us, there's this, then a wonderful bank here 'lost' my husbands salary - which still hasn't turned up, 3 weeks later (he's been unemployed for the best part of a year and this was only his second payment and we've been living off our savings, which are now pretty much exhausted). I have the mortgage on the apartment to pay, I'm being harassed for service fees and I have our rent to pay. I'm just at a loss as to what to do next. I literally feel like the world is against me at the moment, as NOTHING is going right. I have so many companies that owe me money and I've resorted to threats to get them to pay up.
Latest post on 20 November 2016 - 15:21
Non payment is the way things seem to be. I gave up on 3 payments last year and wrote the conpanies off as they will soon meet their demise here. How much do you need, at least? The lesson here is mever be nice. But for now you need to keep your head above water. I would offer the twnant a low price settlement for x months as he packs to vacate. Azk what he CAN pay this month and take it. Also ask what je can afford for nwxt month and tell him to pay ot. But tell him this is a 60 day eviction notice. You will lose but at least your property can be back on the market and in 2 mths get that annual paymemt and learn... and save your back. Tell the tenant that to accept this deal he must ofdicially send by post a letter of contract termination and you will respond with an official letter stating that you accept his request to terminate and that he has 2 months to vacate. Call RERA and seek their free advice ovee the phone as well.
Latest post on 20 November 2016 - 15:09
Turn up with a male at a time you know he is at home, you can check this with security/building manager at the building. Take your agent along too. If he refuses to open the door, put a slip through of his notice (legally you have to give 30 extra days) to pay the amount to an exact date. That will be your first step in terms of legal proceedings. Costs nothing. Then you can evict him if he doesn't adhere. For more up to date advice call or mail the ocean view dubai.
Latest post on 20 November 2016 - 14:44
My agent has been trying to call him all morning - now he's not responding. I literally don't have any money to be able to file a complaint. I've always been a kind and tolerant LL, but to be honest, I'm really now starting to understand why owners demand just one payment. This is ridiculous.
Latest post on 20 November 2016 - 14:11
I would first tell him in plain English: "No, I need that money paid by this and this date, if that doesn't happen, I will be filing a report. " See his reaction, if he still doesn't do anything then file the report. Also helps if a male goes with you and asks.
Latest post on 20 November 2016 - 13:33
Hello. Just looking for some advice. I'm having an issue with my tenant sadly, as he keeps asking for an extension on paying his next rent instalment. I've already been kind and given one extension, but now it's impacting me as I have a mortgage payment due and my own rent due - being a freelancer and self employed I am constantly chasing payments and am owed thousands by various companies. I'm at a loss as to what to do at this stage. Hello I would pop down to the RC and file a case against him. I know you are trying to be a nice LL but he should pay the full rent on time and it isn't your problem if he cannot do this

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY