Finding work has become a NIGHTMARE! | ExpatWoman.com

Finding work has become a NIGHTMARE!

Latest post on 04 December 2016 - 14:49

Dear ladies,

I hope you are all well.

Having lived in the UAE for 7 years; I have never had an issue finding work. I do not even recall having a proper CV in these years as I found work through 'word of mouth'/references. However, this year has been such a disappointment. Been unemployed since March and yes, I have contacted agencies, dropped my CV to sources directly, attended workshops/summits etc and it has always been a 'not-shortlisted' situation for me.

I have completed 2 visa runs and at my wits end. I am mixed; South African Indian (raised in SA) and hold an Indian passport. Phone interviews go fantastic however, when recruiters later find out that I hold an 'Indian' passport, my CV is a drop right away.

My last experience was heading the HR/Admin function for a financial firm here in Dubai that ended in March due to the headquarters in the UK filing for bankruptcy. I have been on the look out for suitable HR roles ever since.

Can someone please advise if you are aware of any opportunities please? I would be extremely grateful for any leads.
[i]Note - I have looked into a similar thread and checked the links provided, however no response.[/i]

Thank you very much.
Diana

Latest post on 19 December 2016 - 12:32
I am so sorry DarkChild, Take heart in that it is not personal. All industries are experiencing tremendous slow down and as oil will never return to 100 or above public and private institutions everywhere in the region are being forced to reassess their strategy. It is really hitting all people, all levels, all passport holders. Keep at it though, I hope you will find something!
Latest post on 19 December 2016 - 10:27
Perhaps time to go home? Instead of spending all your savings and ending up with nothing in a country where you will never have a passport or any rights? Sorry to sound harsh but I see it so often in Dubai. People staying for months on end hoping to score another job and then ending up poorer than they were before they came to Dubai. Large Companies are actually preparing to give out another batch of redundancies before the next Eid and Summer holidays starts in 2017 so the chances of actually getting a job now is close to zero. Think of it as a new beginning back home with a good CV to support you. Dear Diana, I think she has a point here. I'm not discouraging you but I hope you understand this. There is a time to go and a time to stop. But we're still here to support you. I hope you will be able to land the job that you're looking for.
Latest post on 18 December 2016 - 19:43
Perhaps time to go home? Instead of spending all your savings and ending up with nothing in a country where you will never have a passport or any rights? Sorry to sound harsh but I see it so often in Dubai. People staying for months on end hoping to score another job and then ending up poorer than they were before they came to Dubai. Large Companies are actually preparing to give out another batch of redundancies before the next Eid and Summer holidays starts in 2017 so the chances of actually getting a job now is close to zero. Think of it as a new beginning back home with a good CV to support you.
Latest post on 18 December 2016 - 13:25
Dear ladies, I hope you are all well. Having lived in the UAE for 7 years; I have never had an issue finding work. I do not even recall having a proper CV in these years as I found work through 'word of mouth'/references. However, this year has been such a disappointment. Been unemployed since March and yes, I have contacted agencies, dropped my CV to sources directly, attended workshops/summits etc and it has always been a 'not-shortlisted' situation for me. I have completed 2 visa runs and at my wits end. I am mixed; South African Indian (raised in SA) and hold an Indian passport. Phone interviews go fantastic however, when recruiters later find out that I hold an 'Indian' passport, my CV is a drop right away. My last experience was heading the HR/Admin function for a financial firm here in Dubai that ended in March due to the headquarters in the UK filing for bankruptcy. I have been on the look out for suitable HR roles ever since. Can someone please advise if you are aware of any opportunities please? I would be extremely grateful for any leads. [i'>Note - I have looked into a similar thread and checked the links provided, however no response.[/i'> Thank you very much. Diana No real advice here, i recently has to look for a new job and it took me 3 months of hard searching.. i hold a British passport so i think it is tough for everyone.. I am now working as a receptionist and receive at least 6 CVS a day in person, not to mention the ones that go direct to HR etc. Dubai is not the place it once was unfortunately. Im sure you will find something eventually.. Best of luck
Latest post on 18 December 2016 - 11:31
Hi there....u could get help from a company called Peoplezee.com...go to their website n chi....it may help...good luck:) Thank you so much. Will do that :) Merry Christmas x
Latest post on 13 December 2016 - 17:32
Hi im shiey i was working in uae for almost 2years onwards now i left my job for better opportunities to look forward i am experienced receptionist cum secretary for almost 5 years since in my county im a filipina i never realized finding job at this moment was very tough though i try so hard due to massive applicants at the moment. If any one of you could help me out it would be great. Thanks
Latest post on 12 December 2016 - 20:20
Hi there....u could get help from a company called Peoplezee.com...go to their website n chi....it may help...good luck:)
Latest post on 06 December 2016 - 12:33
Hi Diana, I know it's hard to land a job right now but you just need to keep on pushing. Remember, diamonds were made out of pressure. So heads up, it will come. Goodluck :) Thank you :heart:
Latest post on 06 December 2016 - 10:48
Hi Diana, I know it's hard to land a job right now but you just need to keep on pushing. Remember, diamonds were made out of pressure. So heads up, it will come. Goodluck :)
Latest post on 05 December 2016 - 23:05
Thank you Diana, I've got a note of it - will hope to be in a position to get in touch with you soon! Meantime, enjoy your downtime during festive season! Thank you again so much; sincerely appreciate you doing this for me. Merry Christmas :)
Latest post on 05 December 2016 - 22:02
Thank you Diana, I've got a note of it - will hope to be in a position to get in touch with you soon! Meantime, enjoy your downtime during festive season!
Latest post on 05 December 2016 - 09:58
Hi Diana, If I could get a note of your contact details - there may be something at DH's Bank. Like myself, he is very much against this culture of recruitment by passport and works very closely with HR. Don't want to say too much but recently there has been a cull of colleagues in the recruitment team (including the Head) who were found to be acting inappropriately with a particular recruitment agency. So they are doing a full root and branch review of this function. Thank you! I can be reached on my email diananivas.at.hotmail.com You are a real blessing :)
Latest post on 05 December 2016 - 00:08
Hi Diana, If I could get a note of your contact details - there may be something at DH's Bank. Like myself, he is very much against this culture of recruitment by passport and works very closely with HR. Don't want to say too much but recently there has been a cull of colleagues in the recruitment team (including the Head) who were found to be acting inappropriately with a particular recruitment agency. So they are doing a full root and branch review of this function.
Latest post on 04 December 2016 - 23:15
Hi Diana, Yes, times are tough right now and the analysts / economists are indicating that this will persist whilst the oil price remains depressed. It is still very much 'who you know' and its very difficult to get something by relying on the internet / recruitment agents. Good luck and keep trying - the big benefit you have is that all companies, regardless of sector, requires experienced HR people! Totally agree although the actual problem is not me 'getting calls'; it is about the passport I hold! Thank you for the luck and confidence and kindness. Kindly drop me a note if you hear of any vacancies please!! :)
Latest post on 04 December 2016 - 23:12
Hi there I am also a HR professional looking for work here in Dubai. While I have only been here for three months looking (I am on my husbands visa and we moved here due to a transfer for his role), and have been so surprised by how terrible the market and outlook seems. I wish you all the best in finding the right role really soon. Good luck and stay positive. Aww...thank you so much. Wish you loads of luck too.
Latest post on 04 December 2016 - 20:06
Hi Diana, Yes, times are tough right now and the analysts / economists are indicating that this will persist whilst the oil price remains depressed. It is still very much 'who you know' and its very difficult to get something by relying on the internet / recruitment agents. Good luck and keep trying - the big benefit you have is that all companies, regardless of sector, requires experienced HR people!
Latest post on 04 December 2016 - 18:40
Hi there I am also a HR professional looking for work here in Dubai. While I have only been here for three months looking (I am on my husbands visa and we moved here due to a transfer for his role), and have been so surprised by how terrible the market and outlook seems. I wish you all the best in finding the right role really soon. Good luck and stay positive.
Latest post on 04 December 2016 - 15:05
This year has been challenging on the job front and HR roles have been very scarce There are so many HR professionals at all levels looking for work and as a result of this clients have a huge pool to fish from, many employees are keeping their heads down at work trying to ride out the storm, clients are putting roles on hold or not replacing staff, many have also been made redundant 2016 has been a very odd year across the world and I for one will be glad to see the back of it! I can only advise that clients will be writing their budgets in January ready for February. Good Luck! Thank you Sarah. Its a mess this year. But just hearing from others like yourself makes it a bit better for me emotionally. I need that luck, thanks again.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY