When do you know that it's time to leave this country? | ExpatWoman.com

When do you know that it's time to leave this country?

Latest post on 02 January 2017 - 18:59

For us many signs are pointing in that direction. One year ago I thought we will stay for a few more years. I should make a plus/minus list. We hardly save anything and we don't live a luxurious life.
I'm curious to hear your opinions...

Latest post on 08 January 2017 - 12:20
Few things I would look out for: standard of living - worse than back home; home-work life balance- if we spend all time at work and none with family then we would relook at relocating where we have more family support, savings or investment in property- something to liquidate once we are leaving, along with quality of education for my kids. Few of the things I would like to review and go back
Latest post on 03 January 2017 - 11:16
I think that making a 'pros and cons' list can really help to clarify whether or not it is worth it to stay. The thing with such a list, is that you have to keep working on it for a few weeks, as more things come to mind, you can add them. As well, even though it's hard to predict the future, does returning to your home country, or another country really have more opportunity to earn extra or more money? It is hard to make ends meet here in Dubai, but have you really assessed how you spend money here? I know you aren't extravagant, but is it possible to trim more from your spending and 'pay yourself first'? If you aren't familiar with that, then when the money comes in, the first money that should go out is a percentage that you put away for savings, then, you manage the expenses with what is leftover, instead of the other way around. It takes a few months to get used to working this way, but at least you know you have paid yourself first! Good luck, it is not an easy decision and we are also working on our own pro/con list!
Latest post on 03 January 2017 - 10:53
I wouldn't stay if we didn't save or had a significant better lifestyle then back home and I'm not talking about going to Friday brunches or buying designer clothes, but quality of school, safety and a good family life balance (which is difficult to achieve anywhere I suppose...).
Latest post on 03 January 2017 - 08:26
Why did you become an expat? Something had to jave glistened enough to make you say goodbye to your home. What was tgat? If you have already hotten it or can no longer get it then that would be a sign that you are staying to stay. Personally, i am happy here because i thjnk this is the mosy beautiful country. But you have to weigj it all.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY