Moving to Dubai | ExpatWoman.com

Moving to Dubai

Latest post on 11 January 2017 - 13:23

Good morning. My partner was offered a job in Dubai two years ago, but because of illness it didn't happen. It may now happen again. I have a few concerns and I am hoping that I may get some answers on here.
I am in my early 60's and worry I will feel isolated. We will be looking to rent in the Marine area. Are there many opportunities to meet other ladies of a similar age ? I won't be working and I'm not sure about driving in Dubai. Is it easy/safe to use the metro/taxis ? Which are the hottest months ?
Any recommendations for good apartments would be appreciated .
Thank you in advance

Latest post on 11 January 2017 - 16:29
Thank you Sky fall for your reply. Medical insurance not a problem as this will be covered by partner's company. We will be looking for a 2 bedroom furnished apartment, I have started looking at what is available online. I am planning to return to the UK about 4 times a year to see daughters and grandchildren.
Latest post on 11 January 2017 - 15:28
Tricky question: will you feel isolated? To start with you won't have your family with you, only your husband who will be working. So what you do during the days will be up to you. There are plenty of ladies here who fall into your age group though it is not the norm. People tend to be younger and ones who are your age are usually with their extended families, visiting or local. Having said this, you can certainly feel valued here as you can do volunteering, offer your free time doing something worthwhile. You can help with expatwoman related matters too, like coffee mornings that are held each week, etc...Sign up to a meetup group as well. I don't think age is a barrier here that much when it comes to friendships as many people have friends in all age groups. Everybody is aware of the fact that Dubai can feel lonely so people stick together and support one another. The question you might want to ask is what type of medical insurance you can get at that age that will guarantee your care. Driving is not absolutely required if you live in an area that is easily accessible by tram and metro, both are super safe and amazing, cheap too, you can buy a NOL card and top it up or get weekly/monthly passes. Buses are equally good to use. RTA taxis are very cheap as well. Marina is perfect for this! You can walk, jog, cycle, easily meet others for coffee, enjoy a movie, lunch, swim in the sea as JBR is very closeby, supermarkets are in the near vicinity: Waitrose, Spinneys, almaya, Carrefour City/Express, etc... You can take various cooking classes in Dubai, explore different parts of it, learn to ski, learn Arabic for all you know if you don't speak it yet, take up painting, join yoga or other classes, go to the theatre, etc... Dubai requires a touch more effort in terms of keeping busy if you don't work, so tuck in, don't be afraid to post here and the lovely ladies of Dubai will help you out, put you in touch with people, etc. Apartments depend on your budget and how many bedrooms you are aiming for. Let's say a two bedroom with a balcony can costs you from AED70,000-AED180,000, all depends what you are after: furnished or unfurnished, flats or serviced apartments, pets allowed or not, chiller/AC included or not, how many parking spots you'll have, storage unit, oh and the view, vicinity to a mosque, supermarket, Metro or tram station, etc...Post here what you are after.... bye:

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY