Why are some so negative about the economy here etc in the moment? | ExpatWoman.com

Why are some so negative about the economy here etc in the moment?

Latest post on 21 January 2017 - 04:59
I have had my fair share of ups and downs since I have moved to the UAE, but I personally wouldn't change it for anything. I also have spoken to people who have left and the majority of those regretted it. It takes hard work but I feel that the GCC offers tremendous opportunities that other countries currently don't. Of course this is just a personal view and only you will know when it's time to leave but if you are uncertain I would advise you to not give up as good things happen when you are patient.
Latest post on 20 January 2017 - 09:09
ok, let me sweeten my post, it is dedicated to all the people that spread bad vibes, rumors and pessimism and are effectively Dubai haters. Trust me there are a lot. I understand that people in a difficult situation may have limited choices in terms of opportunities but they may still love the place, to all these people I say stay strong and best of luck. The haters can leave.
Latest post on 20 January 2017 - 08:48
nothing to worry about, for one that goes two arrive. Of course people made redundant or leaving will start ranting about the place. It's ok, they should just go, nobody forced them to come here in the first place. Wow what an unhelpful, rude and ridiculous thing to say! No, people made redundant can't 'just go'. Many have loans, or mortgages and other commitments that have to be dealt with and actually end up trapped in a vicious cycle they can't get out of. The 'if you don't like it leave' attitude is a very poor one. I sincerely hope YOU don't find yourself in this position one day, and then have someone say the same to you. Obviously hasn't been in that situation yet themselves or are single on a monthly rental contract. I don't like it and are 4 month in to my 12 month rental contract, the kids are in the middle of the school year, no job back home, can I just pack up and leave because I don't like it? Or even worse there are people coming from countries where there is a war going on.
Latest post on 20 January 2017 - 08:36
nothing to worry about, for one that goes two arrive. Of course people made redundant or leaving will start ranting about the place. It's ok, they should just go, nobody forced them to come here in the first place. Wow what an unhelpful, rude and ridiculous thing to say! No, people made redundant can't 'just go'. Many have loans, or mortgages and other commitments that have to be dealt with and actually end up trapped in a vicious cycle they can't get out of. The 'if you don't like it leave' attitude is a very poor one. I sincerely hope YOU don't find yourself in this position one day, and then have someone say the same to you.
Latest post on 20 January 2017 - 08:26
Every household is different in Dubai. Some have more job security than others. Sometimes our closest friend has a very negative view on Dubai and that sometimes transfer to ourselves (I stopped meeting friends that was constantly moaning about being her, it does drag you down and lets face it no ones life is rosy all the time). I also heard that small business owners here can find it extremely tough. Be careful listening to people that aren't happy here they might want to justify for themselves why it didn't work out for them and are convincing themselves that Dubai is going to crash next year, so they are better off going back home. I have been here for quite some time and seen people coming, leaving and quite a few times coming back or trying to come back again, makes me think twice about going back home and for now we are good/ better off here in Dubai. If you are earning AED now and has a mortgage in £, you could be doing quite well here at the moment. There are always pros and cons depending on your personal circumstances.
Latest post on 19 January 2017 - 23:25
nothing to worry about, for one that goes two arrive. Of course people made redundant or leaving will start ranting about the place. It's ok, they should just go, nobody forced them to come here in the first place. Your comment is neither helpul or constructive
Latest post on 19 January 2017 - 19:25
nothing to worry about, for one that goes two arrive. Of course people made redundant or leaving will start ranting about the place. It's ok, they should just go, nobody forced them to come here in the first place.
Latest post on 19 January 2017 - 12:14
Quick note: two families moved away a few years ago, both are wanting to come back. Those who are here wanting to move away. Each to their own I guess though those families were here when things were all peachy and rosy.
Latest post on 19 January 2017 - 12:02
We were thinking to leave actually Dubai anyway because of the constant trouble with landlords, rising rent, moving because of that etc. Our company fired lot people over last months too. We are thinking about a better change. Even when we now have to pay taxes again. We are getting tired of living in one of those towers in Marina, with no real peace, noisy neighbours, pushing bosses, long overtime hours, high prices everywhere....missing real friendship and nature. some of those I know even say that there will be another crash coming this year and that Dubai is 'done', there will be no improving business soon. Possibly it would then be a good idea to really go back home. We can buy a house and re-start again. Our family and friends would happy too if we would be back...
Latest post on 19 January 2017 - 10:29
A lot of people were let go last year, with big companies firing staff in the 100's. Job searching has become very difficult if you look on LinkedIn for let's say an office job, on the 7th day of the job being posted more than 5,000 people applied, 12% with MBA's, for a simple admin position! I would also like to point out that the position barely paid much. So it has become much tougher to get a good paying job, and if you don't get paid well, why stay? Dubai is incredibly expensive to live, consider high rents, food prices are insane and rise at crazy intervals. Not to mention education prices if you have kids, medical insurance and costs for dental or items not covered. Now it is not to say you can't do Dubai on a budget but it is not that great then in all honesty. All of this has to be considered when deciding where to live. If you don't get paid enough, no point staying here as you can get the same salary in your own country where you have the rest of your family who can provide you with emotional and possibly financial support as well, your familiar surroundings, great outdoors, culture, etc. Then one's own country becomes more attractive than Dubai. So going back to a potential economic downturn, very hard to predict. It has definitely become way more competitive on the job market and salaries are lower while living costs are on the rise.
Latest post on 19 January 2017 - 09:19
I get bit worried now, some of our friends here, some have own business are becoming very negative. Saying that a lot people left over the last year and lot still leaving Dubai and that economy will go down and it will be similar to 2007/08. Last night one said we should better leave soon...,.what is this? Is everybody so pessimistic? Sure there are problems, low oil and gas prices, a.o.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY