Can a Landlord Increase Your Rent in Dubai? | ExpatWoman.com

Can a Landlord Increase Your Rent in Dubai?

Latest post on 07 February 2017 - 11:50

Hello everyone,
I've read some stuff over the internet that Dubai laws restrict landlord to increase the rent if you've signed the contract.
Does anyone experience this? What if landlord increases your rent after a year? Is it legal? What are the options as a tenant we have? As per my understanding, a rent cannot be increased for the period of 2 years.
Looking forward for the help!

Latest post on 23 February 2017 - 09:51
We went to RERA because our LL didn't give us 90 days' notice and were told that we were in a 'grey area' and that our LL is different in some way. We were advised that we 'might' win a case against the LL but there was an equally good chance that we wouldn't... So even the 90 day rule seems to be flexible!
Latest post on 20 February 2017 - 11:23
Ave_Marina and Sarahlou123 has given you proper advise :) The same rule applies if you're referring to a tenancy contract for a commercial office/villa, however, the RERA calculator is slightly different for commercial offices/villas, as it's referring to the areal of the office/villa. Hence, if it's a commercial building and your landlord provides a RERA calculation, make sure he used the correct size in the calculation :)
Latest post on 09 February 2017 - 15:47
Yes, it must be compulsory to register your contract.
Latest post on 09 February 2017 - 15:04
From what I understand the landlord can do whatever they want if your contract isn't registered through Ejari. So make sure u register your contract for your protection.
Latest post on 07 February 2017 - 15:25
Much appreciated. A good advice though. Thanks.
Latest post on 07 February 2017 - 15:21
That's great I will surely check it. I also just go through an article: , according to this, a landlord must provide a 90 days notice while increasing the rent amount. Yes the LL has to give you 90 days notice and the law is very clear on this. If they haven't then tough I had a similar predicament with an ex LL who didn't know the law however I just kept telling her I had got legal advice from the rent committee and this is the law. I didn't get into drawn out arguments and just kept to the facts and the law. They cannot do anything to you and certainly cannot kick you out. If they didn't check the calculator before then that is their error. Stand firm :-)
Latest post on 07 February 2017 - 13:04
Trust me, you don't need any other sources. The rental calculator is the be all and end all for determining rent increases at any stage of the tenancy.
Latest post on 07 February 2017 - 12:58
Thank you for your reply, I will surely check this link. Meanwhile, I am searching for more sources. Thanks.
Latest post on 07 February 2017 - 12:29
The landlord can increase the rent after the first year, but only in line with the Rental Increase Calculator. http://www.dubailand.gov.ae/English/Pages/Rental-Increase-calculator.aspx The two-year rule you're referring to is very outdated. It was abolished several years ago. Hope this helps

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY