Maternity at Al Garhoud or Medcare | ExpatWoman.com

Maternity at Al Garhoud or Medcare

Latest post on 23 February 2017 - 09:26

Dear Mums

I am due my 5th child in October.

I have had 1 of my 4 children here in Dubai and had horrible experiences with most private hospitals i was allocated in my then insurance package. I went to many and ended up delivering at Dubai Hospital last minute. This was actually very similar to the NHS hospitals back home in the UK so i felt comfortable there. However my insurance did not cover as its a government hospital so i had to pay.

Here i am again and this time with DAMAN insurance.......

I have a list of hospitals and again looked at reviews. I also have two Government hospitals, Latifa and Rashid...... I like these hospitals however i think you have to see whatever Obstetrician/ Gynecologist is available.

I have narrowed down to Al Garhoud or Medcare but i would appreciate your reviews and advice.

I am currently seeing Dr Malak from Medcare Uptown Mirdif clinic as its close to my home. I quite like her and she can deliver at the Medcare Hospital.

My questions are:

Medcare or Al Garhoud?
Any others you recommend?
Any reviews on Medcare Obstetrician and Gynecologists? or Al Garhoud?
Do they take a birth plan seriously?
Have you any other good advice for me?

Thanks in advance

Latest post on 01 April 2017 - 21:36
Hi! I'm not sure if your insurance covers this hospital but I just delivered in Mediclinic City Hospital with Dr. Britt Claussen. Honestly I can't fault it, the nurses and midwives were amazing!!! I'm a general nurse from England and I too was really worried. My husband really didn't want me to deliver here. But I'm so happy I did. I would recommend that hospital. Have you been to Al Garhoud yet? I've been many many times with my job and I have to say I'm not that keen but that's just my personal opinion. I'm sure all hospitals do tours though so you can see for yourself. I know City hospital do one every Friday. Regards, Nicky.
Latest post on 27 February 2017 - 09:17
Hi MamaZita, I delivered in Medcare in November 2016 with an external consultant doctor who has her own clinic - similar to yours. In terms of insurance, all my pregnancy visits were fully covered. However, for my delivery, the insurance only covered AED 10,000 for Medcare including 3 days stay for a c-section so I had to pay a AED 5,000 for my doctor's consultation separately. This was reimbursed later by my insurance but is evaluated on a case by case basis. The hospital itself was great and I really appreciated the nursing staff in both the labor ward and the maternity ward and the baby's nursery. I had an emergency c-section at 38 weeks and unfortunately, did not have a birth plan. I would recommend that you discuss your birth plan with your doctor and also carry it with you when you go for hospital admissions. Please be super detailed, for example - if you want to exclusively breastfeed your child, you have to insist that you do not want them to give the baby formula while you are in the recovery room. Their rooms are a bit strange - they don't have hospital furniture but some kind of ornate furnishings - but other than that, spacious. They have a food menu thats bland as is most hospital food but ample portions, enough for you and one attendant. They provide everything for you and the baby after admission such as disposable panties, maternity pads, hospital gown, bassinet, formula milk. You do have to carry clothes for your baby and blankets. I was happy with Medcare as they accommodated me in an emergency when the hospital where I was registered (American) couldn't but for next time, I would explore Saudi German and Zahra too as many of my friends have delivered their recently and were quite happy. I would suggest to you to join the maternity tours of the hospitals that are covered by your insurance before you make a choice. That's really helpful and so appreciated Big Thank you
Latest post on 26 February 2017 - 20:07
Hi MamaZita, I delivered in Medcare in November 2016 with an external consultant doctor who has her own clinic - similar to yours. In terms of insurance, all my pregnancy visits were fully covered. However, for my delivery, the insurance only covered AED 10,000 for Medcare including 3 days stay for a c-section so I had to pay a AED 5,000 for my doctor's consultation separately. This was reimbursed later by my insurance but is evaluated on a case by case basis. The hospital itself was great and I really appreciated the nursing staff in both the labor ward and the maternity ward and the baby's nursery. I had an emergency c-section at 38 weeks and unfortunately, did not have a birth plan. I would recommend that you discuss your birth plan with your doctor and also carry it with you when you go for hospital admissions. Please be super detailed, for example - if you want to exclusively breastfeed your child, you have to insist that you do not want them to give the baby formula while you are in the recovery room. Their rooms are a bit strange - they don't have hospital furniture but some kind of ornate furnishings - but other than that, spacious. They have a food menu thats bland as is most hospital food but ample portions, enough for you and one attendant. They provide everything for you and the baby after admission such as disposable panties, maternity pads, hospital gown, bassinet, formula milk. You do have to carry clothes for your baby and blankets. I was happy with Medcare as they accommodated me in an emergency when the hospital where I was registered (American) couldn't but for next time, I would explore Saudi German and Zahra too as many of my friends have delivered their recently and were quite happy. I would suggest to you to join the maternity tours of the hospitals that are covered by your insurance before you make a choice.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY