Relocating to Dubai - Jobs, Friends & Contraception? | ExpatWoman.com

Relocating to Dubai - Jobs, Friends & Contraception?

Latest post on 06 April 2017 - 13:57
Hi All, So I am moving with my other half (edit: Husband for clarity!) in July to Dubai. He has a job and I will need to find one. So looking for some help with the big change essentially! Has anyone else been in a simular situation at all? I am a bit apprehensive as I wont have a job lined up and I have a pretty successfull career in the UK so walking away is a little scary. I have also been told that UAE doesnt want or need HR - which is my profession. How have others found the move? I have read a lot of posts about how people make friends, and that friendships seem a little "fake"? Whats the true story with this? How do the groups work? I dont want to move and be lonely.... And then there are the practicalities - I cannot find a straight answer on whether I am allowed to buy contraception - whats the deal here? As I said, any stories of relocating, settling in and setting up life would be amazing! Thank you! Congrats on your move. Having lived here for 17 years I can only say I made few of my best friends here after university/school days! Fake friends will always be there...Dubai makes one privy to those more often than not though as its transient here. HR department is a must for most of the big corporations. Ours is thriving for sure... All sorts of contraception is available and docs also prescribe. All the best with your move.
Latest post on 05 April 2017 - 16:24
Hi All, So I am moving with my other half (edit: Husband for clarity!) in July to Dubai. He has a job and I will need to find one. So looking for some help with the big change essentially! Has anyone else been in a simular situation at all? I am a bit apprehensive as I wont have a job lined up and I have a pretty successfull career in the UK so walking away is a little scary. I have also been told that UAE doesnt want or need HR - which is my profession. How have others found the move? I have read a lot of posts about how people make friends, and that friendships seem a little "fake"? Whats the true story with this? How do the groups work? I dont want to move and be lonely.... And then there are the practicalities - I cannot find a straight answer on whether I am allowed to buy contraception - whats the deal here? As I said, any stories of relocating, settling in and setting up life would be amazing! Thank you! Hi, good luck with your move. Hope it all goes smoothly. Not sure if this is what people meant, however it is not uncommon for small international companies (most in finance and out of DIFC) where HR is centralised in HQ (mostly London, as is with my company). but I agree with the previous post the most companies with have an HR dept. I cannot comment on how easy it is to find an HR related job however, as it is not my field. Having said that , the market nowadays is not doing very well so finding a job in any field may be more difficult than it was 2 years ago. If you're going to live anywhere near downtown/DIFC area PM me, always looking to make friends here :)
Latest post on 27 March 2017 - 08:39
I have no idea who you have been speaking with. All of the clients I have and have ever worked with have a HR department ( I have lived and worked in the UAE for over 10 years) Most if not all companies now have some form of HR department. What I will say is that HR roles are down and as you don't have any UAE experience it may take a while for you to secure a role. You have to be very proactive and network, network, network as the roles will not come to you. I would not advertise that you are moving with you partner as cohabiting is illegal here. Yes hundreds do it but its best to keep that quiet and not shout it from the rooftops. Fake friendships occur all over the world, I have a small group of fantastic friends and have been lucky to not have had to deal with the strange ones. Use your initiative and you should be able to weed out the "fake ones" Contraceptives can be bought in the pharmacy over the counter and the injection can be done DR's. Not all pills are stocked here though

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY