Moving to Dubai this summer | ExpatWoman.com

Moving to Dubai this summer

Latest post on 26 March 2017 - 19:32

Hello everyone!

First a big thank you to this forum, I have gotten a lot of information that I would have been asking when I arrive.

Now that I have researched via this forum, other forums, asking friends and also visiting Dubai this last February; I have a few questions of my own that I could not seem to figure out.

My situation is that we will be relocating from Holland and have lived in Latin America, North America and Europe (this is my children's 7th move). Now that our youngest child is 10 and has been exposed to a much more independent life here in Holland, there is not as much of a need for having next door neighbor "buddies". Most of his friends are living 20-30 minutes away and play dates are arranged accordingly.

We normally live in some sort of suburb or compound for either security reasons or distance to school. We (the whole family) are starting to entertain the idea of trying something new if all costs were roughly the same. The school we have chosen is Gems Wellington Academy Silicon Oasis because of strong personal recommendations from several people living in Holland now but also the IB program that is offered. Both children are currently in this curriculum.

Now here is my question: With the costs of Arabian Ranches, Cedre Villas and other suburbs being between 150,000-220,000, would it be worthwhile to consider living in the Marina area? My husbands commute would then be via metro and short of living in Cedre Villas my kids would be looking at a bus ride (all be it a much longer one). Is living in the Marina so "downtown" that there is no easy access to grocery stores, green spaces or any other places that you sometimes need (hardware, shoe repair, local hair salon, dentists and clinics)? Will the Marina cut me off from other Mom's who have children of similar ages (10 and 15)? The Marina would certainly offer city views with easy access to most restaurants and entertainment sights but we are just not sure.

Is there anyone who is or has lived in the Marina with "older" kids?

Thank you for reading through this very long post and any comments or suggestions are always greatly appreciated.

Latest post on 10 April 2017 - 23:20
Good point and something to consider as I have wondered about the driving in Dubai. When I was there, I didn't see or experience anything scary but that being said, I have read newspaper reports on reckless driving.
Latest post on 07 April 2017 - 10:16
You would only be 30 min from the public beach or hotel brach from the Ranches and a 30 min drive from hotels like Madinat Jumeirah and Jumeirah Beach Hotel, 20 from Mall of the Emirates that literally got everything. You have a few date nights restaurants in the community as well, alcohol license. Silicon Oasis to Mirdif CC is 20 min maximum and going out in the area around Dubai Mall, 30 min. Not to be rude, but put places into Google map and check the distance. Download Waze app, its excellent to monitor where there are often traffic jams in Dubai. The accident rates and death rik is extremely high in Dubai, so it's not just about time consuming it's your families safety as well.
Latest post on 06 April 2017 - 22:20
Thank you for the replies! I had figured the commute would be one of the biggest issues. We have tried the 1 1/2 hour commute (Panama (1 1/2 hours!) and Brazil (1 hour)) each way before and it can be irritating. I'm happy that I have been to Dubai in February (very surprised to see it rain) because I got the chance to look at the areas a bit. We saw some apartments and villas in Silicon Oasis, the villas are the exact same layout as the ones we lived in Panama - it must be the same architect! If we decide to live out in the Ranches or Silicon Oasis, how easy is it to get to restaurants and evening activities in the city. Are there "Date Night" restaurants or activities near any of those compounds (A.R., S.O., Villa Comm. and such)? On the flip side, is it easy to get to a family beach from the areas near the Silicon Oasis/Arabian Ranches area on the weekend? Lastly, is there anything I should be bringing in my container that is vital to either save money (because things are expensive in Dubai) or Dubai simply doesn't have. I know it's difficult to comment on the last question but maybe something generic that everyone usually complains that they miss. In Holland, it's Dried Mexican Chilies for example. Thank you again ladies! You are a big help!
Latest post on 05 April 2017 - 12:53
The Marina to Silicon Oasis will be a draining bus journey for your child, straight road is 35 km... The schools mostly starts before 8 am, most likely your child would have to leave before 7 am. It would take minimum 1 h with a school bus, including the pick ups and drop offs of other children. The Villa is a nice community close to Silicon Oasis and so is Arabian Ranches and would work well too.
Latest post on 05 April 2017 - 12:13
Personally I think living in the Marina and having your kids commute every day to Silicon oasis would be a pain...even on a good day it would be at least 40 minutes but during school terms the traffic getting into Silicon Oasis is very busy. I live in Falcon City which is close to Silicon oasis and The Villa Community and although I don't have children I get caught in the school traffic every morning so I know that this is an issue. Also even if they get the bus from the Marina they will end up having to get up really early and be on the bus for approx 90 minutes..maybe longer as the bus will no doubt have to pick up more Children en-route. Far better for you to live close to the school and your husband can get a car and drive to work...he will not want to be using the metro in the summer...even the shortest of walks will be unpleasant in 40 to 50 degree weather. I know that plenty of families live in Silicon oasis, The Villa, Falcon City & Arabian Ranches and send their kids to Gems. The Marina is great, but you can visit at weekends and I would think it is far better to live somewhere where you have more space and it is not so busy....every night there are queues to get into the Marina! Anyway just a personal opinion of course but just wanted to highlight the journey time really...the less time stuck on roads the better !
Latest post on 05 April 2017 - 09:37
I would visit Dubai first to be honest to see where you would like to live. We live downtown with a small child but we have friends in the ranches and absolutely love the ranches too, beautiful houses, very quiet, good Belgian restaurant Maison Mathis. I am not that familiar with Marina but I think location wise it may be better than the Ranches. The families I know in the ranches have to commute a bit to bring their children to school but it is no problem and not too far. I think honestly the Marina is very busy but the close neigbourhoods may be nice. Also check out Al Sufouh, friends of me live there and it has a very nice flair, lots of greenery, very Spanish.
Latest post on 01 April 2017 - 22:56
Thank you everyone for the additional input. For good or bad, the company has "topped up" the salary and we are responsible for figuring out the rest. It means we have the freedom to do what we want if we want to go cheaper and pocket the difference for savings and travel. The cheaper we live, the more we can explore the UAE and surroundings as well as treating ourselves to dinner out.) We have a budget that can pay for 2 cars (one more expensive like a used SUV and then basically a "box on wheels" ) as well as the most expensive bus service if we live further away from the school. ( we have calculated worst case scenario ). That would still be in keeping with the 200,000-220,00 max housing. The school is the only fixed item and everything else can be changed. We thought we would use the opportunity to flip it on its head and live more "urban" now that my kids are older and don't need a compound environment. This is particularly true when some areas have the same housing cost as the Marina. (That would also mean that we don't have to think about a second car and parking) My husbands work is on the Metro line and stops nearly in front of the office. That being said, we don't want to isolate ourselves if there are no families in the area we might be looking at. We really don't have a "preference" to where we live because in all of our moves there will be compromises (yard vs no yard, far from shopping, far from restaurants, far from school) In all of the searches, it seems like we are spoiled for choice (many areas within the budget) which can be more difficult to figure out. Thank you all for these great suggestions and I have been using them as guide for the search. I really appreciate all of the help! :biggrin:
Latest post on 01 April 2017 - 10:33
The Marina is very built up compared to the Ranches/DSO however it is very happening :-) and busy so there would be lots for the kids to do. There are lots of restaurants, the beach, Marina Mall ( Cinema is there) close proximity to the metro ( saves Dad being a taxi from the ranches) Most apartments have their own pool, play area etc it is just finding the right building. Have a look at the Views and the Greens ( Emaar developer same as Ranches) too as this has lots of amenities and green open spaces kids of all ages are always out playing. If you look at the buildings below they are a 10 min walk from internet city metro station Turia Dutco Uno Sidir Nakheel I second this opinion, Dubai Marina is great for your children as everything is nearby and they can feel more independent as they can take the tram or Metro too, Marina Mall is here, JBR so close with the beach there. It is a busy area but if you don't have a car or want to have two cars it is a great place to live, plenty of supermarkets, chance to meet people, etc... The Greens are equally nice, quieter but the Metro is not right there so to say, you'll have to walk more to it or take a taxi when it gets hot... Look on Google map, observe the tram and Metro signs, supermarkets, distance to school, how to get there, etc...then on dubizzle or propertyfinder for prices. We have friends with similar age children to yours who live in Dubai Marina and they love it.
Latest post on 28 March 2017 - 11:38
Just a thought - have you spoken to the school about the cost of the bus journey from the Marina or The Greens? Sometimes the cost of the bus and the time spent on the journey for the children means that parents find it better to pay the extra on accommodation and live closer to the school. The other thing is you may find that you could "car pool" from some of the suburbs as it is highly likely other children will be coming from there.
Latest post on 27 March 2017 - 17:15
Good luck with the move! ;) I don't have kids but live in Dubai for 3 years now, 1st year I stayed in JLT which is across the road from Marina, which makes it a bit cheaper. The good thing about it is availability of different kind of things like easy access to metro, lots of taxis, groceries, pharmacies, restaurants, walking distance to the beach and stuff like that but its a bit over crowded, lots of traffic, no parks, etc. In my opinion its more 'couples' kind of area. But staying in a villa community without a car will give your husband lots of stress especially during hot summer months, as it takes time to get a taxi and stuff. You can also check out Shoreline community in palm Jumeirah, it has lots of amenities within walking distance, direct beach access, its within your budget and at the same time its a bit more relaxed comparing to Marina. Feel like its a bit general info, since I don't know much about kids entertainment and schools but hope it helps in your search!
Latest post on 27 March 2017 - 11:12
Thank you for the information, it opens up other possibilities that I haven't thought of. :cool::)
Latest post on 27 March 2017 - 08:46
The Marina is very built up compared to the Ranches/DSO however it is very happening :-) and busy so there would be lots for the kids to do. There are lots of restaurants, the beach, Marina Mall ( Cinema is there) close proximity to the metro ( saves Dad being a taxi from the ranches) Most apartments have their own pool, play area etc it is just finding the right building. Have a look at the Views and the Greens ( Emaar developer same as Ranches) too as this has lots of amenities and green open spaces kids of all ages are always out playing. If you look at the buildings below they are a 10 min walk from internet city metro station Turia Dutco Uno Sidir Nakheel

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY