Working part time & UK tax | ExpatWoman.com

Working part time & UK tax

Latest post on 29 April 2017 - 10:37

Hi guys so nice to be on here this is my first post ? We are hopefully moving out to Saudi I am a midwife & we have 2 young children. I know we have missed leaving prior to this tax year, but if we left in the next few months or even before next April I would only want to work part time. But would we still have to pay UK tax, from what I have read I would have to be employed full time so just wanted some advice. Thank you so much

Latest post on 01 May 2017 - 15:26
The documents should be sent to the Saudi embassy not the UAE embassy for attestation as its Saudi your looking to move to :) Also you need to make sure the solicitor is recognised by the FCO otherwise the documents will not be processed. All the best, the red tape starts before arrival :biggrin:
Latest post on 01 May 2017 - 12:42
https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad/overview Ring HRMC they will give you all the info you need. I moved in a July and managed to claim the previous years tax back whilst here Regarding the NOC this is only something you will need if you are on your Husbands visa and it is basically a letter from him saying he is happy for you to work. Attest every document you have ( Education certificates, marriage certificates, birth certificates for the kids) before you leave. These need to be done by a solicitor in the UK, foreign and commonwealth office in Milton Keynes and the UAE embassy in London
Latest post on 01 May 2017 - 11:33
Hi guys so nice to be on here this is my first post ? We are hopefully moving out to Saudi I am a midwife & we have 2 young children. I know we have missed leaving prior to this tax year, but if we left in the next few months or even before next April I would only want to work part time. But would we still have to pay UK tax, from what I have read I would have to be employed full time so just wanted some advice. Thank you so much Everyone's circumstances are different so the best advice is to seek some advice from an expert ..... pop and see a tax advisor before you leave and he/she will tell you exactly what is right for your situation and the timing (in the tax year) of your move. Good luck !
Latest post on 01 May 2017 - 11:03
Just one other thing to add - although you don't have to, I was advised to register myself as non-UK resident by my tax accountant when I first came out here (there's a simple form on the HMRC website). There doesn't appear to be any negatives to doing this, but it does mean that if you go back to the UK, and for the time you are doing any tax returns from out here, the HMRC have accurate information for you, and you're not having to prove where you've been in the intervening years, which apparently you can be asked to do! Most people fill in the P85 form when leaving UK.
Latest post on 01 May 2017 - 10:35
Just one other thing to add - although you don't have to, I was advised to register myself as non-UK resident by my tax accountant when I first came out here (there's a simple form on the HMRC website). There doesn't appear to be any negatives to doing this, but it does mean that if you go back to the UK, and for the time you are doing any tax returns from out here, the HMRC have accurate information for you, and you're not having to prove where you've been in the intervening years, which apparently you can be asked to do!
Latest post on 30 April 2017 - 22:44
The HMRC website has good calculators so you can work out what your status is. They also have lots of 'scenarios' - highly suggest sitting down with a cup of coffee and reading through. If you have property in the UK you rent out, you do need to declare yourself as a non-resident (landlord) to HMRC, then when you do a tax return you can do one with a split year allocation. That way you know you're all above board with it, won't pay unnecessary tax, and won't have any issues if and when you return to the UK. I did it this way and it's been relatively simple, and it means I have had no tax liability in all the years I've been here, despite having UK rental income. Might be worth getting a UK accountant to do your family's first tax return if you are having a split year - I paid about GBP 200 the first year if I get it done for me as it was a split year - and they got me a refund (and GBP 30 to buy the required 3rd party software to do my own when I have a 'simple' tax year). The longer you live abroad, the more days you are allowed to return to the UK without penalty (as Bingo12 said the 90 rule is the best known but does not apply to everyone!), and you now have to keep tabs on which midnights you are in the UK, AND other countries, as well as public holidays and sick days. Also, there's now the issue of 'family ties'... It's less complicated than it sounds, but the rules have tightened up over the years. HTH! Thank you so much for this pinks ???
Latest post on 30 April 2017 - 15:32
You would really need to consult your employer in the UK or a Tax advisor to help find the answers specific to your circumstances. Hope it helps Hi luluwings can you please clarifi why I would need to talk to my employer in the UK sorry I'm just a bit confused ??? xzx To clarify your tax status
Latest post on 30 April 2017 - 13:31
The HMRC website has good calculators so you can work out what your status is. They also have lots of 'scenarios' - highly suggest sitting down with a cup of coffee and reading through. If you have property in the UK you rent out, you do need to declare yourself as a non-resident (landlord) to HMRC, then when you do a tax return you can do one with a split year allocation. That way you know you're all above board with it, won't pay unnecessary tax, and won't have any issues if and when you return to the UK. I did it this way and it's been relatively simple, and it means I have had no tax liability in all the years I've been here, despite having UK rental income. Might be worth getting a UK accountant to do your family's first tax return if you are having a split year - I paid about GBP 200 the first year if I get it done for me as it was a split year - and they got me a refund (and GBP 30 to buy the required 3rd party software to do my own when I have a 'simple' tax year). The longer you live abroad, the more days you are allowed to return to the UK without penalty (as Bingo12 said the 90 rule is the best known but does not apply to everyone!), and you now have to keep tabs on which midnights you are in the UK, AND other countries, as well as public holidays and sick days. Also, there's now the issue of 'family ties'... It's less complicated than it sounds, but the rules have tightened up over the years. HTH!
Latest post on 30 April 2017 - 09:45
You would really need to consult your employer in the UK or a Tax advisor to help find the answers specific to your circumstances. Hope it helps Hi luluwings can you please clarifi why I would need to talk to my employer in the UK sorry I'm just a bit confused ??? xzx
Latest post on 29 April 2017 - 15:04
You would really need to consult your employer in the UK or a Tax advisor to help find the answers specific to your circumstances. Hope it helps
Latest post on 29 April 2017 - 14:31
You can look on the web sites of the larger accountancy firms such as PWC and KPMG for the regulations applying to tax as a non resident and also on HMRC web site. Generally it depends on the number of days you spend in UK that determines your tax status and not whether you work part time. The one most known is the 90 day rule but other rules can apply.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY