Moving from Canada. | ExpatWoman.com

Moving from Canada.

Latest post on 01 May 2017 - 21:01

Hello Ladies,

We're a family of 4 planning a move from Toronto to Dubai. Based on how things are progressing, we're expecting to be in Dubai first week of July which of course raises the concern around schooling.

My daughter turns 4 in August, not knowing the schooling age or process there, should we be concerned as it comes to schooling? My son is 8 months so a bit early to be worried about schooling, yet.

We're thinking of looking for a place in Dubai Silicone Oasis and was thinking of the Wellington school system there?

Any feedback on this would be much appreciated, I am not sure if I should be panicking and start looking for schools. Will schools entertain me today considering we're not even in the country yet?

Also, any feedback on Silicone Oasis villas? I am able to see plenty available in the 170K price range but wondering if that is realistic on the ground as well?

Thank you for looking into and appreciated your feedback.

Latest post on 20 June 2017 - 17:12
Thank you ladies, appreciate the response and feedback! My daughter is on the waiting list for Gems Wellington which of course was our first choice. She has been offered a place in Gems First Point but we have been told she will need to start FS1 (Turns 4 in August) as she missed 4 months of Day care in Canada at the start of the year. I was on maternity leave in Canada at the time and decided to keep her home to spend more time with her and the little one. Is this normal? I have never heard any such reasoning here as Day care is really...just day care. We have a week to respond and confirm to pay the registration fees. Does anyone have any feedback on Gems First point? It was not rated at the top but we believe it might be because it is new, any feedback on this would be much appreciated. Our move is going to be cutting it very close to school dates which is why I am thinking we get in touch with a realtor or an agency now to line things up when we get there in August. I understand inventory changes every week even day but thinking we do whatever advance homework we can. Can anyone suggest a good realtor or agency? How does the process work? I am really not sure what else we need to plan for or consider. The only other thing on my mind is if we buy furniture there or should we bring it with us? We're currently in an apartment downtown Toronto and thinking if we should buy before we come as it will be much more expensive in Dubai? Since relocation is covered, I am thinking this will be a better idea? Thank you again for your feedback and look forward to learning more.
Latest post on 15 June 2017 - 09:29
My daughter is 4 years old attending GEMS Wellington Academy Silicon Oasis in FS2 (starting Year 1 in Septemeber) and we are really happy with the school. She's only been there 1 year but we have no complaints - the learning pace is good, communication from the school is always up to date and the facilities are one of the best (though at their age they dont really use all of them!). Their Primary section has an "outstanding" rating from KHDA. Silicon Oasis community is a lovely place to live, especially the Cedra villas are very well designed and spacious, something rare for villas in that price range in Dubai! The apartments don't have the best quality finishing. It's quiet, no traffic, plenty of small shops and groceries around, and very safe from what I've heard. I've been trying to convince hubby to move there for some time now! GEMS Wellington DSO has a waiting list, so you should contact them ASAP, and also look at Repton and Kings Nad Al Sheba which are close by to Silicon Oasis (max 10 minute drive) and have excellent ratings, particularly Repton (though you will find mixed review on Expatwoman, my friends with kids there are very happy with it). Let me know if you have any specific questions about the school, good luck with the move! :)
Latest post on 11 June 2017 - 15:44
Regarding the schooling - if you really are thinking of renting in Silicon Oasis, I would send an email to both GEMS Wellington and GEMS First Point (about a 15-20 minute drive away) so you can find out if you can secure a place. It may be good to just put your feelers out there in a few directions. Also, nobody so far has mentioned that the KHDA is the local authority that provides ratings for all schools here - so have a look the KHDA website and then you will have a better idea of where you can look. GEMS First Point is rated "Good" but that's mostly because it's a new school as far as I can see. GEMS Wellington is rated "Outstanding" which is obviously ideal especially because it is next to where you would like to rent Repton is also "Outstanding" I believe. Have a look and don't be shy to book tours to all of these schools. You can tour them in the first week you are here and provide them with the documents they need as soon as you decide. You will have plenty of time to decide once you get here. Remember that schools are run as businesses here - which I am sure you know - but ensure that you treat it as a business decision based on their rating, fees, proximity to where you live and ultimately their availability for FS1 spaces.
Latest post on 10 June 2017 - 22:37
I recommend you rent a house near your daughter's school or near your husband's work and you should be contacting the school of interest by now depending on the educational system you are seeking but for a British school your daughter will be going to FS1 and I think by now she may be put on a waiting list. She can also got to a nursery for another year and going FS2 in 2018. But that if you choose a British school. Also I recommend mirdif. You can get a beautiful 3 BD villa with a shared pool for 120k!
Latest post on 08 June 2017 - 14:06
Cedre Villas are very nice if you are wanting to be in Silicon Oasis! Very lovely community. And if you are looking at Canadian education, Maple Bear is a preschool in business bay (about a 20 minute drive) and it is very nice!
Latest post on 08 June 2017 - 14:03
Cedre Villas are very nice if you are wanting to be in Silicon Oasis! Very lovely community. And if you are looking at Canadian education, Maple Bear is a preschool in business bay (about a 20 minute drive) and it is very nice!
Latest post on 08 June 2017 - 14:03
Latest post on 05 May 2017 - 16:31
Mirdif is s lovely place to stay and u can find a wonderful home to rent well within the 170k budget. There is also a Canadian school in the community - OICS (Ontario international Canadian School)
Latest post on 02 May 2017 - 14:34
Hi Shakee, We're from Alberta and been in Dubai 8.5 years now. As your daughter was born in August she can go to any school here (British schools are with birthdays to 31st August) but other schools are birthdays until the end of the year. As mine were born in November I was lucky to find a school with the north american grading system so they didn't have to repeat a year. You absolutely should be talking to schools now about securing a place for September. I've toured Wellington School and my friends has kids that go there and it's a good school. Rent for Silicon Oasis sounds about right for 3 bedroom and it's a nice community. Good luck! Christina

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY