London schools | ExpatWoman.com

London schools

Latest post on 11 May 2017 - 12:54

We have suddenly been transferred to London. It seems completely impossible to get a school for my son, 15 yrs old!? Any advice? I feel like I'm the only one with children ever to be transferred to London! What do other expats do??

Latest post on 26 May 2017 - 09:38
Hi London72 We moved to the UK in a similar "sudden" manner two years ago. It was June and we had two primary aged children. We ended up at prep schools in the south east, with a very easy commute in to London before The Great Southern Fail. We were at Bede's Prep and they have a secondary as well: Bede's Upper Dicker. This is Eastbourne, lovely little town and the school is perched on a cliff edge in the South Downs. The rugby green is in the actual Down lands. I miss the place SO much. 90 minutes by train to Victoria. An excellent school, shorter commute to London, is Ashdown House in Forest Row but I believe they are a primary. We used a UK based consultant because our youngest has significant special needs. She was brilliant: empathetic and efficient. Thank you very much. We are also in contact with a consultant. He's trying his best, but this is very late and there are no places left? except 2 schools. Our son sat a test for one of the schools yesterday. He thinks it went brilliantly ?? Lets hope he is right!
Latest post on 26 May 2017 - 09:31
Morning London 72 I used to live in Hampton and I know Hampton School is one of the top schools there as my son attended all his senior years there. He did very well in his exams and is now in Finance (Hedge Fund). Next door to Hampton School, is Lady Eleanor Holles School and they do have friendly field games and school debates on a regular basis. Good luck with your choice of schools and place to live. :) Thank you very much. We already checked the Hampton school. They have no places for yr10 for next year?
Latest post on 25 May 2017 - 09:48
Morning London 72 I used to live in Hampton and I know Hampton School is one of the top schools there as my son attended all his senior years there. He did very well in his exams and is now in Finance (Hedge Fund). Next door to Hampton School, is Lady Eleanor Holles School and they do have friendly field games and school debates on a regular basis. Good luck with your choice of schools and place to live. :)
Latest post on 24 May 2017 - 18:47
Hi London72 We moved to the UK in a similar "sudden" manner two years ago. It was June and we had two primary aged children. We ended up at prep schools in the south east, with a very easy commute in to London before The Great Southern Fail. We were at Bede's Prep and they have a secondary as well: Bede's Upper Dicker. This is Eastbourne, lovely little town and the school is perched on a cliff edge in the South Downs. The rugby green is in the actual Down lands. I miss the place SO much. 90 minutes by train to Victoria. An excellent school, shorter commute to London, is Ashdown House in Forest Row but I believe they are a primary. We used a UK based consultant because our youngest has significant special needs. She was brilliant: empathetic and efficient.
Latest post on 17 May 2017 - 17:20
Update: All schools are full! 2-3 won't accept him because he is "out of his year group"! A result of us moving around all the time and changing from IB to American to British schools! He is a clever boy so was never forced to repeat a year....just a result of our crazy circumstances. Very disappointing that they don't understand this....and they won't budge:( He may be able to get into Kingston Grammar School or Claremont Fan Court. Oldtimer....any advice on these schools? Can I perhaps contact you privately? They seem like good schools and we would love to live in Kingston. Claremont has school busses from Kingston....and hubby can commute easily to Victoria.
Latest post on 12 May 2017 - 22:00
There are some pretty good private tutorial colleges in London some of which do accept younger students including: www.duffmiller.com www.davidgamecollege.com ww.mpw.ac.uk www.ashbournecollege.co.uk As former student, I also had friends that attended all of these and have done really well in life. Best of luck
Latest post on 12 May 2017 - 18:27
Hi London72, I lived in Kingston for some years and worked in relocation for international families so fully understand your position. There are lots of excellent schools and if they will pay private fees you will find a place for your son. Kingston is a great place to live and there is a very nice private school in Hampton (Hampton School), Surbiton High is also good, Claremont Fann Court School, Kings College School in Wimbledon (V academic), Epsom School .... lots of choice. The state schools are more difficult as they are heavily oversubscribed. In that area the state schools finish at 16 after GCSEs and the kids move on to colleges for A levels. Richmond College, Epsom College, Kingston College. How exciting for you, we loved that area! Feel free to ask any questions about housing locations or schools :-) Oh you are a star!! We lived in Kingson 25 years ago....before we had kids. We loved it!! Going out for dinner now, so will write later. BTW we looked at Kingson grammar school. They have excellent facilities according to pics on their website. My son LOVES sport and it's a huge deal for us. Thanks again! Will be back later.
Latest post on 12 May 2017 - 18:09
Hi London72, I lived in Kingston for some years and worked in relocation for international families so fully understand your position. There are lots of excellent schools and if they will pay private fees you will find a place for your son. Kingston is a great place to live and there is a very nice private school in Hampton (Hampton School), Surbiton High is also good, Claremont Fann Court School, Kings College School in Wimbledon (V academic), Epsom School .... lots of choice. The state schools are more difficult as they are heavily oversubscribed. In that area the state schools finish at 16 after GCSEs and the kids move on to colleges for A levels. Richmond College, Epsom College, Kingston College. How exciting for you, we loved that area! Feel free to ask any questions about housing locations or schools :-)
Latest post on 12 May 2017 - 17:46
Ladies, thank you so much for taking the time to answer me!! Husband's office is near Victoria street so in the middle of London. But he doesn't mind commuting. I've been looking at Kingston, Richmond, Wimbledon, Fulham..Today we found out that the company he works for will hire an education consultant to find something for us....hopefully. If noting is available now, my son and I will stay here till something comes up. They also pay for a private school....within reason of course. Feel sooo much better than yesterday:) Thanks again!!
Latest post on 11 May 2017 - 14:44
agree with the above. live outside London and commute in. Plenty of good train links in.Start looking at schools in an acceptable radius from where you will be working. Ofstead info is available online so you will be able to find out lots of information.
Latest post on 11 May 2017 - 14:09
Agree completely with leonee. A lot of permanent UK residents actually buy properties to live in for the catchment areas of the state school they want for their child to go to some time before the child will actually register. You may have to live outside London itself for a good state school and commute to your work place. The public boarding schools (Public schools = private schools) are very expensive. Your child might just get into a private ''crammer'' in London if you can find one, which are not as expensive as ''regular'' private schools. They are not schools as such - just teach/coach the child to pass the exams. There are education advice bureaux may help you but I think they advise on the private sector.
Latest post on 11 May 2017 - 13:31
Oh dear, i am very sorry. It's a bit of a nightmare in London for anyone with school-age children moving unless they can afford private education. Legally, you have to wait until you are here and have an address, then apply from that address and you will be allocated a place. Your local authority is obliged to find you a school place, but it doesn't have to be particularly close to you, they don't have to find places for all your children in the same school, and the school(s) you are offered will probably be those that are at least perceived by local parents as not very good (sometimes parental perception can be wrong, though). My advice would be for you to apply for school places As Soon As Possible! and make sure to select a borough with a good school. You will be fine. All the best and good luck! :) Keep us updated.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY