GRATUITY DEDUCTION DUE TO NON-PAYMENT BY CLIENTS, IS IT FARE? | ExpatWoman.com

GRATUITY DEDUCTION DUE TO NON-PAYMENT BY CLIENTS, IS IT FARE?

Latest post on 17 May 2017 - 14:11

Hi,

I am a resident of UAE and my husband is working in a reputed company in Muscat and we are married for 7 months. He is working as Senior sales executive for 6 years in that firm. He had this client who was creating issue by not paying for the product supplied by my husband months back. After several calls and meetings, the client was ignoring and finally threatning not paying for the product and all. My husband reported to his credit control department and his company filed a case against the client. Now, since I am working in UAE and I am unable to get a visa clearance in Oman, he has resigned from his company to join me. Hence, he was entitled to get his gratuity before leaving. But, the credit control department says that the invoice value for that product has to be deducted from his gratuity since they have no hope that the client will pay. The gratuity amount is lesser than the invoice value. Now, after his dedicated service for 6 years to that company he is getting in return NOTHING. So my query is that whether there is a rule in Oman labour law, that the sales person have to bag the burden for non-payments by clients? We are really in a tough situation as he haven't got any other job on hand and now there is no money also. Kindly help!

Regards.

Latest post on 18 May 2017 - 15:43
Hi, Even I think this is not fare and should be complained but my husband's Oman visa is getting expired by May 30th and before that he will have to leave the country. If he complains there will be no time time to run behind. But surely he might give a complaint if they are deducting the amount from his gratuity. But, my doubt is will the complaint be valid?
Latest post on 17 May 2017 - 16:51
Hi, I am a resident of UAE and my husband is working in a reputed company in Muscat and we are married for 7 months. He is working as Senior sales executive for 6 years in that firm. He had this client who was creating issue by not paying for the product supplied by my husband months back. After several calls and meetings, the client was ignoring and finally threatning not paying for the product and all. My husband reported to his credit control department and his company filed a case against the client. Now, since I am working in UAE and I am unable to get a visa clearance in Oman, he has resigned from his company to join me. Hence, he was entitled to get his gratuity before leaving. But, the credit control department says that the invoice value for that product has to be deducted from his gratuity since they have no hope that the client will pay. The gratuity amount is lesser than the invoice value. Now, after his dedicated service for 6 years to that company he is getting in return NOTHING. So my query is that whether there is a rule in Oman labour law, that the sales person have to bag the burden for non-payments by clients? We are really in a tough situation as he haven't got any other job on hand and now there is no money also. Kindly help! Regards. Have you spoken to the Omani Ministry of Labor? Gratuity is legal requirement for time served and nothing to do with a company's cash flow or credit control problems. It is also illegal not to pay it! I cannot see how this is legal and that they are allowed to deduct the cost of the product out of his salary. I doubt there is any law to support this and feel they are trying it on. Tell him to go to the Omani MOL