Shipping UK to Dubai | ExpatWoman.com

Shipping UK to Dubai

Latest post on 23 May 2017 - 09:53

Hello. My first post on here and apologies if this has been covered earlier. (I did do a search and couldn't find anything recent).

Moving from UK to Dubai in July. We are in the UAE right now sorting the family's visas and school places for the children. And finding a place to rent.

I am returning in a couple of weeks to pack up and ship our things out. Any recommendations for a good removals company? We have used Crown and Allied Pickfords for our previous overseas moves and had an excellent experience with both.

Would love to hear from someone who has done this recently. And also a ballpark figure for a door-to-door service for a 20ft and a 40ft container. My research shows it takes up to 6 weeks to ship out. Is that close enough?

Latest post on 24 May 2017 - 18:36
pinks, my neighbour also had a similar experience of very poor customer service with AP and decided not to go with them. I am sorry to hear they were such a pain. Thanks for the heads up, that is one to avoid.
Latest post on 24 May 2017 - 18:31
Thank you very much for the input. Our last move, two years ago, was with Crown. Their UK side wasn't very impressive as it had been outsourced to an independent two-man team who were less than polite and efficient. An added bother is that we are in a very remote little in village on the South Welsh border and Crown and AP don't have any local offices. A neighbour who has just recently emigrated to NZ used Brittania Bennetts and also had positive feedback from John Masons and Doree Bonner. All of these have offices in GL and South Wales areas. Anyway going back home and shipping seems a long way off right now! Have tasters and assessments booked for the kiddos at a school we met and really liked today. Hoping to find a nice-ish villa as well before we head back in two week. Exciting times and lots to sort!
Latest post on 23 May 2017 - 20:18
Hi Sandfly, We have used Crown twice now and couldn't speak highly enough of them (the last one was UK to Dubai) - everything went seamlessly and really allowed us to focus on settling into our new destination. We were assigned a relationship contact so we always had someone at hand with questions around timings, status and additional services we were looking for. No stone went unturned! In terms of ballpark figure - unfortunately, I didn't have visibility of this as this was covered by DH's company. Exciting times for you and your family! Happy Moving!
Latest post on 23 May 2017 - 14:40
I've used Allied Pickfords in the past to ship from the UK to Dubai, and like you, had an excellent experience. However this time (last summer) shipping a container from UK to Dubai, the experience couldn't have been worse. My container was originally packed for storage, so they said I needed to pay for it to be re-packed for shipping (fair enough). However, on arrival here it was all in the original storage packing - what I had paid for I don't know. Quite a few items had been thrown into boxes with no wrapping. The UK side was completely unresponsive after they had got their money, and to make thing worse, instead of using their own people here (who I had thought were very good in the past), they outsourced the operation to a small third party company, whose unpackers all needed constant supervision - cupboard doors and lampshades were put on upside down, small items had to be rescued from being thrown out with wrapping paper... I wouldn't use them again, if only as noone from AP would take my calls or respond to my emails asking them to call me to discuss. Previous move from here was with Sante Fe in 2016 - absolutely faultless, both here and in the UK! Quotes from all companies I approached were incredibly similar.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY