Any advise or suggestions? | ExpatWoman.com

Any advise or suggestions?

Latest post on 25 May 2017 - 17:55

Hello ladies,
First of all, Ramadan Mubarak to all of you.

I have recently moved to Dubai and currently unemployed. I have been trying to apply for jobs for months but..nothing came my way until now.
I have no friends or family here and thus I stay most of the time and days at home just cleaning, washing the dishes and cooking, which is somehow driving me crazy and making me depressed.
I don't know what else I can do during the day until my husband comes back from work. I am even still confused what career should I choose or what for example could I study to fill in this gap.
How can I make friends here? What can I do in Dubai?
Please help...

Latest post on 28 May 2017 - 12:20
I have seen book clubs, ladies nights, and coffee meetups (mostly for Dubai). I think if you search for some of those you can find some groups to join for whatever area you select. It can be a little work to find the activities and places but they do exist. I am a stay at home mom and am busy each day with kid stuff and housework so I understand your feelings a bit. <3
Latest post on 28 May 2017 - 09:01
Completely understand that Dubai can be a lonely place but there are lots of social groups to join and find/make friends. We have to gather all our strength and head out of the door and find them. I'd always worked until we moved here so also found it hard so when I first moved here I went to several of the Expat Women coffee mornings in different parts of Dubai - it was good for meeting people and just getting out. I'm sure there are Facebook pages for where you live and often people in your area will arrange meet ups/coffee mornings. Not sure where you live but Arabian ranches Ladies is a great way to meet women - there's a lot of members and they do a whole range of actives so usually something for everyone. It's well worth joining. I also think Motor City ladies have a coffee meet up too at one of the cafe's there. Someone else has suggested fitness groups - another thought is Mall Walking - I'm not sure if they still run but there used to be a club in Mall of the Emirates and Dubai. they'd meet up in the morning walk around the Mall before it opened and then finish with a coffee. Social and exercise all done in the cool air! Depending on what your interests are there is something for everyone here it's just a matter of finding what presses your buttons - golf lessons and then there is a whole world of ladies golf, card games like bridge, arts and crafts acidities - the list goes on. Good luck - I know lots of ladies say it's lonely here but I've always managed to have a really good and busy social life here and done lots of really interesting things. I also find that women are generally really up for making friends and doing things as we are all in the same boat. Someone gave me a good piece of advice - which is to have a wide range of friends and interests as the only certainty here is that people will leave, and often very quickly. Good luck in making friends - we are all out there and wanting the same thing.
Latest post on 28 May 2017 - 08:07
Dear Ayate, I understand what you are feeling. For many this is part of the expat experience. I was able to connect with women at the expat coffees. There also is meet-up Dubai, which is a platform to join groups with whom you share an interest. I made meaningful connections based on language and cultural interests/commonalities. Being a cat lover, I also helped the feline society and met nice people in the process. A good way to figure out what you might want to study academically is to have a google: nomajordrama Maybe the list of college majors will point you in the direction of a degree program, a certificate program, or just a few classes for fun. There also is a choir in Dubai and art classes at Ductac/MOE. Building friendships and connections in Dubai is an ongoing endeavor, because many expats are on 2 year contracts. Economic factors can change quickly too, which means that sometimes families practically leave overnight. I was here in 2008 and it was quite an experience. Warm regards to you!
Latest post on 26 May 2017 - 19:26
I don't know if you have kids or not but if you do, enroll them in sports and you can meet other moms there during the classes. Also I suggest websites like Craftsy I purchased a crochet course and learned to crochet and I even started my own crochet blog, Facebook page and Instagram. They offer many other courses like photography, sewing etc. I mean you can take a hobby. Also go to the gym, go to dubai public library, local ladies meetups announced on Facebook groups all the time. I was in your shoes for 2 years here. My advise to you is involve yourself in whatever activities you find, know your neighbors and meet up with wives of your husband's work colleges. You will not know what you want to do until you try many different things. Thats when you will know what works with you and what you don't like. I remember back home I got certified and started giving parenting classes which is something I still do every now and then but I didn't realize how much I am not into being an instructor until I tried it myself and also doing those classes and meeting people put me on track in a different direction towards finding my purpose in life. Try different things, be active and open to all opportunities that come across you.
Latest post on 25 May 2017 - 22:17
Hi...welcome to Dubai....I completely understand ur situation as I'm sailing in the same boat....though I'm here since 16 years, iv recently started feeling the same....as my daughter has gone to the university in the U.K. n my son has grown up..It's really very frustrating ...I really hope that u find a job of ur interest soon....u could contact a co.called peoplezee...try sending ur cv to [email protected] mention what position ur looking for ...Good luck
Latest post on 25 May 2017 - 18:46
I'm afraid I don't have any good suggestions just wanted to say I know how you feel. I spend all day cleaning too. Not yet started seriously looking for a job and have begun to wonder how I will meet people. I really appreciate your support in taking time to reply to my post :) so kind of you.. I hope we can find a way out soon..
Latest post on 25 May 2017 - 18:41
I'm afraid I don't have any good suggestions just wanted to say I know how you feel. I spend all day cleaning too. Not yet started seriously looking for a job and have begun to wonder how I will meet people.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY