Is it real? Many expats leaving Dubai? | ExpatWoman.com

Is it real? Many expats leaving Dubai?

Latest post on 29 May 2017 - 12:47

I am wondering from so many sides I hear people leaving, some lost job, just are going for good....
When I look at this forum, not many ladies online in the forum like in the past...
working in intern. company I feel too it is still quite not picking up as expected. What is wrong?

Latest post on 07 June 2017 - 09:25
Well, it all boils down to decision making. You can properly allocate your money if you're doing a budget plan. You can also enjoy as long as you can manage your spending
Latest post on 04 June 2017 - 11:44
there is too much hype about Expo 2020. It will not create big boom. We had in our country, there was not such big investment like they plan here. Only good point was that the region had bit more tourists that's was it. Luckely in my country they planned it more wisely. Even then it was at a huge cost. They used already based exhibition areas. So now we don't have all these dead empty areas.... Here I wonder what they do after Expo is done....what to do with all the buildings, hotels they plan in Expo area? People may come and visit 1 day that's it.... Don't think that it would be a huge increase in tourists and if then it is only for this limited period. Knowing Dubai for 20 years its bit sad to see how it changed. Now I feel it is just too much. More malls more hotels coming....for whom? Restaurants and hotels are complaining about the huge competition. Who will visit all these malls and spend? Nowadays you see many people just 'window shopping'
Latest post on 03 June 2017 - 10:57
This time seems very different to 2008-9, as the oil price slump is affecting so many other sectors. The roads seem busier but with lower income residents who spend much less than before. The sale last month was an indication of how bad things are getting. A friend working for a government uni here has just had their salary cut but by 20%, just before the summer holiday. This article too gives a fair idea of how things are in the restaurant sector: [url='>http://www.thenational.ae/business/retail/glee-hospitality-executive-reveals-how-uae-restaurants-are-coping-with-tough-times[/url'> The party is most definitely over. People are now weighing up whether Dubai is worth it if you re not saving. Is there really any other reason to be here?
Latest post on 01 June 2017 - 11:02
I've lived here for 28 years and for the first time, I'm seriously thinking about leaving. - Rents, school fees and general costs increase every year but salaries don't. - VAT Tax is being introduced but expat residents get no benefits - no passport, no free schooling, no welfare - you're only as good as your residency visa. Other countries that have VAT tax still offer the people paying the tax some if not all of the previously mentioned benefits. - Summers seem to getting hotter! I love this country, I grew up here, but it's just not practical to plan long term for here anymore :(
Latest post on 31 May 2017 - 14:26
Toughest conditions since 2008 recession. UAE banks counting the cost of weakening economy and competitive market. The banking sector in the country has been in a state of upheaval over the past 12 months after 3,000 jobs were slashed in the UAE’s two main cities, Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Nearly 900 jobs were cut across the banking sector in Abu Dhabi over the past year, with the number of employees in the sector dropping to 12,500 in the first quarter of 2017.
Latest post on 31 May 2017 - 13:15
My family is gearing up to leave at the end of the year as well. My husbands company has taken away benefits and denied decent pay increase and promotions. With the cost of living here plus education being so ridiculous high, we just can't afford to live here much longer. I know a handful of families that are in the same situation, it's getting too expensive here and the benefit it not as good as it used to be. I have heard lots of rumors that Expo2020 will cause problems once it is gone. Companies are coming into Dubai now leading up to the Expo and that bring money but once the Expo is over there is no reason for them to stay and there will be a big exodus out of Dubai at that point as well.
Latest post on 31 May 2017 - 09:04
A member of my family is moving back this summer with her kids for good :( But I know, like luluwings said, it's peak leaving season... Come Aug/Sept there'll be an influx no doubt
Latest post on 30 May 2017 - 22:30
I am wondering from so many sides I hear people leaving, some lost job, just are going for good.... When I look at this forum, not many ladies online in the forum like in the past... working in intern. company I feel too it is still quite not picking up as expected. What is wrong? Yep , sure is, its peak leaving season
Latest post on 30 May 2017 - 19:36
I know some families that have left for good and keep hearing from friends and acquaintances how someone or the other is leaving.
Latest post on 30 May 2017 - 19:17
Yes, its very real.. just few days back someone on this very forum posted how many nurseries have recently shut off.
Latest post on 30 May 2017 - 10:25
We have been in the Middle East off and on for 5 years. We are leaving again. This is the fourth time my husband has lost his job and his salary has decreased each time. His redundancy is because of the falling oil prices. It is heartbreaking. We are very sad to leave but whole departments in his company have been made redundant. They promised him at least two years and we got 7 months. It costs so much to go home and they give us no help as he was on a single contract. Not worth the paper it was written on! Farewell Dubai. :(
Latest post on 30 May 2017 - 10:01
I've seen many people leave lately. I myself think school fees are increasing like crazy and my husband doesn't get any school support from work so savings are not much. It maybe true also if you look around you'll see an increasing number of to-let houses. I love Dubai personally and I will stay as much as I could but it is getting more and more expensive.
Latest post on 30 May 2017 - 08:41
Dubai is getting expensive and salaries are not getting adjusted for this. Still many people coming in but I do know majority of expats are thinking of leaving.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY