Advice from mums of teenagers | ExpatWoman.com

Advice from mums of teenagers

Latest post on 17 June 2017 - 08:50

Hi friends,.....I'm really facing tough times with my 13 year old boy,concerning usage of electronics...as it's vacation now,he wants to play on his gadgets(iPad n fone)till late in the night. He simply refuses to follow the rules regarding this...his argument is that its holidays so he can do it...all reasonings fall on deaf ears...n if we refuse,he throws a big tantrum....really don't know how to manage the situation....any ideas regarding this would b more than welcome. Thanks ...

Latest post on 18 June 2017 - 15:22
Hi friends, thanks a ton for all your wonderful suggestions...yes,I too agree with@ cheeky monkey that kids have to follow certain rules..we too had rules at home conserning dinner n play time etc...n my son has always been a very warm n understanding boy..his latest behaviour is a new development..I guess,part of teenage...n thanks Dubai_lover's suggestion that he has to read n exersice etc before playing on his gadgets..much appreciate ur ideas...thanks ...
Latest post on 18 June 2017 - 11:13
sit together and put a certain number of hours per day (max 3 hours) and put some tasks he has to finish first in order to use his gadgets like reading, cleaning his bedroom, exercising etc... When you put the rules, say it and then mean it i.e follow through.... don't give in to his tantrums because he will feel he is in charge.
Latest post on 18 June 2017 - 09:06
@ Cheeky Monkey..Completely agree!! But what I would want to get from the poster: 1. How was your relationship prior to him becoming a teenager? I know that the teenage ages are difficult..but believe me human beings have not changed. If you had a good--kind of talking/understanding relationship prior, it does not always go the other end very quickly at this age.. 2. Did you set rules prior to this age? was there a structure in the house ? It will be difficult to pick up from here if certain things were not happening in the first place..perhaps it may be a good time to form a different kind of relatonship...research some you tube videos about addiction--different types or buy videos from Amazon..play and watch this together and then have talks together. Since you asked for advice...i'm just thinking of what may work...Good Luck and always pray for your children!
Latest post on 17 June 2017 - 23:43
Personally I'm a hardliner so my child wouldn't dream of arguing... but on the odd time there has been defiance the tablet is simply taken away and as for tantrums? Um no. They can go tantrum in their bedroom like a toddler if they wish and they will then be treated like a toddler. And if they continue to argue and tantrum and defy me then it's 24 hours without any gadget, want to continue arguing? 48 hours! Want to continue with that tantrum? Now it's all week...! Bedtime is bedtime and it's for sleeping, holidays or not. A later bedtime is allowed in the holidays but the same rules apply whenever that time is. Kids need sleep. When it comes down to it I am the parent, they are the child. My house, my rules since the day they were born. Respect me and my decisions and I will respect you and we will get along just fine. Disrespect me and there will be consequences. But I'm sure there will be lots of other mums on here that can give you other less authoritarian solutions... ;):lol: Agree with everything you said ;)
Latest post on 17 June 2017 - 11:51
Personally I'm a hardliner so my child wouldn't dream of arguing... but on the odd time there has been defiance the tablet is simply taken away and as for tantrums? Um no. They can go tantrum in their bedroom like a toddler if they wish and they will then be treated like a toddler. And if they continue to argue and tantrum and defy me then it's 24 hours without any gadget, want to continue arguing? 48 hours! Want to continue with that tantrum? Now it's all week...! Bedtime is bedtime and it's for sleeping, holidays or not. A later bedtime is allowed in the holidays but the same rules apply whenever that time is. Kids need sleep. When it comes down to it I am the parent, they are the child. My house, my rules since the day they were born. Respect me and my decisions and I will respect you and we will get along just fine. Disrespect me and there will be consequences. But I'm sure there will be lots of other mums on here that can give you other less authoritarian solutions... ;):lol:

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY