VAT in Dubai | ExpatWoman.com

VAT in Dubai

Latest post on 17 July 2017 - 15:46

Hi, can someone tell me on what all firms/things VAT will be imposed? http://www.mymoneysouq.com/financial-blog/vat-dubai-latest-updates/ I've read this article but I want more information.

Latest post on 29 July 2017 - 16:32
There's a list of 'essential items' that won't have VAT imposed upon them. Tobacco products are all going up 100%, tax also imposed on alcohol and fizzy/energy drinks - this is because the powers that be want people to cut down on these things.
Latest post on 29 July 2017 - 16:22
Canada has a high rate of income tax to pay for these "free" things. Not everyone can get a Canadian passport after 4 years. They have strict criteria as to who can become citizens
Latest post on 29 July 2017 - 11:24
Canada - you pay VAT but the tax money goes towards free schools, healthcare and you can get the passport after 4 years.
Latest post on 27 July 2017 - 17:37
forgot to mention, it will be a company decision to give people salary increases. depending on your lifestyle inflation is approx. going to be 2.5-3% (this is estimated and CANNOT be confirmed as everyone's lifestyle is different)........ they have said that they will not look at income tax for individuals in UAE (although there is a new tax for dependants in KSA). they are looking into corporate tax for possible introduction in the next 10 years or so this should not impact individuals. my question was sarcastic - companies costs are going to increase, I highly doubt they will be giving employees any raises. Usually countries with VAT also offer free schooling to the taxpayers. Will that be the case here? Will taxpayers here also get citizenship like other VAT countries offer? Interesting...... im not sure that VAT gets you free schooling ? Certainly not in any country I'm aware of ..... high rates of income tax will sometimes get you that .... but not always. As for citizenship .... can you name me a country that gives you citizenship for paying VAT ? :)
Latest post on 27 July 2017 - 16:02
forgot to mention, it will be a company decision to give people salary increases. depending on your lifestyle inflation is approx. going to be 2.5-3% (this is estimated and CANNOT be confirmed as everyone's lifestyle is different)........ they have said that they will not look at income tax for individuals in UAE (although there is a new tax for dependants in KSA). they are looking into corporate tax for possible introduction in the next 10 years or so this should not impact individuals. my question was sarcastic - companies costs are going to increase, I highly doubt they will be giving employees any raises. Usually countries with VAT also offer free schooling to the taxpayers. Will that be the case here? Will taxpayers here also get citizenship like other VAT countries offer?
Latest post on 26 July 2017 - 13:33
forgot to mention, it will be a company decision to give people salary increases. depending on your lifestyle inflation is approx. going to be 2.5-3% (this is estimated and CANNOT be confirmed as everyone's lifestyle is different)........ they have said that they will not look at income tax for individuals in UAE (although there is a new tax for dependants in KSA). they are looking into corporate tax for possible introduction in the next 10 years or so this should not impact individuals.
Latest post on 26 July 2017 - 13:30
hello all - I am a VAT advisor based here in Dubai and am introducing vat - so for you all a little insight; 1. vat rates that have been announced - 5% / 0%/ exempt 2. no tourist refund scheme in Dubai as yet 3. residential rent - no VAT (exempt) 4. health care - 0% however this will be on a defined lists of treatments and not on everything (remainder being 5%), we are expecting 5% on scuh things like cosmetic therapies 5, food - in Dubai will be 5% 6. dewa - 5% (but only on the gas/ electricity and water - unlikely to be on the housing tax element) 7. education - 0% but as with healthcare this will be on a defined list of services, this has not been released yet. 8. only registered businesses can charge VAT and not a personal individual/small company who is not registered 9. go live for KSA and UAE is currently being held at 1 jan 2018 (with the other GCC territories going later in the year and possibly 2019) 10. threshold for businesses to register is mandatory - 375k AED or voluntary registration - 187.5K AED 11. VAT will be implied on everything that has not specifically excluded by the law. so it is likely souq.com will have VAT applied on its products 12. there is a great guidance for more information on UAE MOF website however if you want to ask questions then I don't mind giving some help and guidance. hope you have found this helpful puj75
Latest post on 26 July 2017 - 11:24
And what percentage will salaries increase by? :thinking:
Latest post on 25 July 2017 - 19:05
Hello, we were told that 5% VAT will applied on all goods, petrol and services. it will be waived off for Schools/nurseries, Unis. There is possibility it will be applied on DEWA as well. There will be much higher VAT on tobacco and alcohol. Unfortunately it will definitely affect our expenses. The 5% will be the most visable increase in costs of products and services, however there will also be addtional admin costs for companies to prepare and account for all the addtional taxation requirments, hence you could see prices increase an additional ?% to cover these additinal adim costs.
Latest post on 25 July 2017 - 10:54
Hello, we were told that 5% VAT will applied on all goods, petrol and services. it will be waived off for Schools/nurseries, Unis. There is possibility it will be applied on DEWA as well. There will be much higher VAT on tobacco and alcohol. Unfortunately it will definitely affect our expenses.
Latest post on 24 July 2017 - 14:19
Hopefully, this shouldn't affect so much on our monthly expenses. It most definatley will impact costs of products from the date of implementation as people here will jump on the price increase bandwagon regardless. The current exchange rates are very good for products coming from the UK but we have not seen any price reduction on those products, trust me, when and if the rates go back to circa 6 to the pound, the rip off will begin again. :\:
Latest post on 24 July 2017 - 11:18
Hopefully, this shouldn't affect so much on our monthly expenses. Difficult to second guess how it will roll out but I'd say theres a pretty good chance that VAT will be implemented immediately on DEWA, phone bills, TV, RTA and any other government related costs.
Latest post on 24 July 2017 - 10:13
Hopefully, this shouldn't affect so much on our monthly expenses.
Latest post on 18 July 2017 - 15:31
Its a surprise ?
Latest post on 18 July 2017 - 15:05
Sadly nobody knows. The media will report it before we all know

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY