Advice about moving to UAE/Dubai | ExpatWoman.com

Advice about moving to UAE/Dubai

Latest post on 01 September 2017 - 14:56

Hello

My husband will be moving to the UAE shortly. He will be located outside Abu Dhabi.
Both my son (6 years old) will move out a few months later (we are in the UK)

I've heard Abu Dhabi is itself very expensive so I'm most likely to look for accommodation in Dubai as well as schooling. My husband will come home at weekends.
I'm thinking of looking for a villa near a decent school. Im not sure about a car as I've not been to Dubai before so i'm not sure how easy it is to get around and do school drop off and pick ups with and without a car.

I've been looking at accommodation in JVC. I don't know any other areas that may also be suitable. I guess it boils down to budget. I've heard about 120000AED to 150000AED gets you a decent place?
I will not be working when i move out after my husband so looking to meet people like me also.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you all in advance

Regards

Latest post on 13 October 2017 - 22:43
Hello, if I was you, I would live in AD. It's a very family friendly place with good schools. Try to find a school first and live close by. This will make your life much easier. I would recommend to look at newer compounds close to the airport or Yas island. You can get more info on certain fb groups or abudhabiwoman. The Drive from Barakah is a good distance from AD itself. I would choose AD over Dubai in your circumstances. Certainly choose school first & then the residence. Despite public transport, you will need to Buy car to move around as it gets real hot between April to October. Good luck.
Latest post on 07 October 2017 - 00:08
If you really want to live in Dubai, check out the areas on the AD side like in Jebel Ali or around DIP. The cost of living are also lower in these areas. However I would also go and live in Abu Dhabi. I think the overall cost picture there is also better than Dubai. It is also very child friendly. As I have 2 friends in Dubai, I thought it would make sense to be there. However through the advice on this thread, reading though other posts here, as well as my sisters friend, the advice is to look at AD - both from a proximity angle to my husbands work location as well as schools. Thank you for your advice. I'll start to focus on AD - makes sense. We're probably looking to leave here after the summer holidays in the UK. thank you :-) Aren’t the summer holidays already finished in the UK ?
Latest post on 06 October 2017 - 18:12
If you really want to live in Dubai, check out the areas on the AD side like in Jebel Ali or around DIP. The cost of living are also lower in these areas. However I would also go and live in Abu Dhabi. I think the overall cost picture there is also better than Dubai. It is also very child friendly. As I have 2 friends in Dubai, I thought it would make sense to be there. However through the advice on this thread, reading though other posts here, as well as my sisters friend, the advice is to look at AD - both from a proximity angle to my husbands work location as well as schools. Thank you for your advice. I'll start to focus on AD - makes sense. We're probably looking to leave here after the summer holidays in the UK. thank you :-)
Latest post on 06 October 2017 - 18:07
Hello, if I was you, I would live in AD. It's a very family friendly place with good schools. Try to find a school first and live close by. This will make your life much easier. I would recommend to look at newer compounds close to the airport or Yas island. You can get more info on certain fb groups or abudhabiwoman. Hello Thank you for your advice. IAD has been advised to me by my sisters friend as well rather than Dubai. I'll start to look at schools in AD. If you have any advice on these i'd be grateful. It will most likely be that we move out after the summer. thank you again.
Latest post on 02 October 2017 - 16:15
If you really want to live in Dubai, check out the areas on the AD side like in Jebel Ali or around DIP. The cost of living are also lower in these areas. However I would also go and live in Abu Dhabi. I think the overall cost picture there is also better than Dubai. It is also very child friendly.
Latest post on 29 September 2017 - 10:36
Hello, if I was you, I would live in AD. It's a very family friendly place with good schools. Try to find a school first and live close by. This will make your life much easier. I would recommend to look at newer compounds close to the airport or Yas island. You can get more info on certain fb groups or abudhabiwoman.
Latest post on 28 September 2017 - 16:29
Hello Thank you. Apologies fro not acknowledging your reply sooner - its been all over the place and we have just had everything confirmed. My husband will be working just outside AD in Barakah. he will be staying there for 4 days and then home for 3. I looked at AD but was told it was expensive and to looking at Dubai. I know one person in Dubai but she's not got family so doesn't know about schools etc. I will look at the link you have sent me and see what i can get from there. Thank you for your advice regarding looking for school first. its all very daunting at the moment
Latest post on 01 September 2017 - 22:23
Hello My husband will be moving to the UAE shortly. He will be located outside Abu Dhabi. Both my son (6 years old) will move out a few months later (we are in the UK) I've heard Abu Dhabi is itself very expensive so I'm most likely to look for accommodation in Dubai as well as schooling. My husband will come home at weekends. I'm thinking of looking for a villa near a decent school. Im not sure about a car as I've not been to Dubai before so i'm not sure how easy it is to get around and do school drop off and pick ups with and without a car. I've been looking at accommodation in JVC. I don't know any other areas that may also be suitable. I guess it boils down to budget. I've heard about 120000AED to 150000AED gets you a decent place? I will not be working when i move out after my husband so looking to meet people like me also. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance Regards It's obviously personal choice but overall there is very little difference in cost between the two .... it all comes down to where you choose/need to live. Aside of housing AD is slightly cheaper on utilities as there is no standing charge. Where in AD is your hubby going to be working ? My advice would be to confirm the school first and then choose where to live once you know ..... if you do it the other way round you could end up with a horrid school run ! Worth a look at this https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+Arab+Emirates&city1=Abu+Dhabi&country2=United+Arab+Emirates&city2=Dubai

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY