Termination law for domestic help - does anyone know what the rules are? | ExpatWoman.com

Termination law for domestic help - does anyone know what the rules are?

Latest post on 22 September 2017 - 12:11

Hi all,

We are not happy with our nanny anymore - actually we've always been half and half about her, as she has some good things but she's always sad, moody, looking miserable all the time no matter how much we do for her. She's got good salary, paid vaccation, Thursday night and Friday off, one ticket per year (not two years as the law states), doesn't cook for all of us - only for our baby, doesn't do cleaning as we have a cleaning company coming once per week, gave her money in advance whenever she needed, you name it - we provided. Having said that, she's never happy and has this moody attitude all the time, which kind of doesn't help my kid at all. I found another nanny, very good and caring, granny type, warm, sweet and kind, who has a good positive attitude and i want to hire her immediately. How can i early terminate the existing contract of my current nanny in order to provide visa for the other one? What the rules are? I tried to google but couldn't find much. Please advise if you experienced similar situations.

Thank you very much.

Latest post on 02 October 2017 - 14:28
sarahlou123 is right. If she politely ask you not to go home, instead look for another work, she will have maximum 30 days after cancellation date to legally stay in the country. If you will agree or give her chance to find another employer, she has to have new entry permit before the end of the grace period otherwise, she has to exit the country to avoid penalty. This also means you can only apply for the new nanny right after she has change her status.
Latest post on 26 September 2017 - 01:33
Maids do not fall under the same labor law as other workers so all you have to do is tell her you are terminating her employment, cancel her visa and book/accompany her to the airport for a flight to her home country. Can she refuse to fly back to her country? What happens then? Thanks.
Latest post on 24 September 2017 - 14:59
Maids do not fall under the same labor law as other workers so all you have to do is tell her you are terminating her employment, cancel her visa and book/accompany her to the airport for a flight to her home country.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY