Can company do this? | ExpatWoman.com

Can company do this?

Latest post on 22 October 2017 - 16:51

Hi,

Someone I know has worked for a company for in excess of 3 years here. They handed in a months notice, as required.
Company supplies a phone with job.
The company are saying that because they have resigned they must pay the 8 months penalty on a 24 month phone contract.
Can anyone please advise if they can they do this?

Thank you for any advice.

Latest post on 05 November 2017 - 10:38
Seasand: if they made it clear at the purchase of the phone that the employee is responsible for the cancellation penalty and they made you sign a paper saying it can be deducted from your last salary, then it is rightful. Companies do it with trainings usually, the company pays, but they expect the employee to stay with their new knowledge. Airlines have expensive bonds for pilots completing aircraft training but considering to leave earlier than agreed. If they did not make you aware of it when asking you if you needed a phone, then it is not rightful. To solve the situation, you may offer that you keep the phone and pay the bills yourself from now on. If they don’t want it, they should not charge you. Hk2017, if you indeed had similar situation, why don’t you write what actually that legal company advised on what you did. The post did not ask for legal service recommendation.
Latest post on 24 October 2017 - 14:09
Hey, good morning! Ya I have heard all sorts of weird stories, and been thru something similar when my company was closing its headquarters here and I was made redundant. I had to get legal advice and I contacted www.asettadvisory.com and it didn't cost me an arm or a leg! It was super reasonable and they are very client loyal and concerned, which is exactly what is needed in these types of situations. Hope they can help you out! Have a great day ahead! Do you ever make a post without promoting asettadvisory ? ...... anyone could get the impression you had an interest in them and where promoting their services (which is against forum rules ) ;)
Latest post on 24 October 2017 - 12:13
Hey, good morning! Ya I have heard all sorts of weird stories, and been thru something similar when my company was closing its headquarters here and I was made redundant. I had to get legal advice and I contacted www.asettadvisory.com and it didn't cost me an arm or a leg! It was super reasonable and they are very client loyal and concerned, which is exactly what is needed in these types of situations. Hope they can help you out! Have a great day ahead!
Latest post on 24 October 2017 - 10:58
I don't think someone with a sane mind would do this. Well, you should know the plays on the book or else you will be fooled
Latest post on 24 October 2017 - 10:48
Seems ridiculous. If it's a company phone and the company are paying the bills and the contract is in the company name, surely they just hand the phone to the next person? Sound like they're just trying to make some cash. You said it right there. I mean, would you even consider this kind of act? It doesn't make any sense
Latest post on 22 October 2017 - 17:50
Agree with you FairyDust. Just wondered if there are any legal eagles that may know for certain. Thanks
Latest post on 22 October 2017 - 17:18
Seems ridiculous. If it's a company phone and the company are paying the bills and the contract is in the company name, surely they just hand the phone to the next person? Sound like they're just trying to make some cash.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY