15 Lessons Learnt as Expats
There's lots of valuable lessons to be learnt while living as an expatriate around the world...
There's no denying that moving, living and working abroad can dramatically change a person, often for the better... And sometimes for the worst.
So we've rounded up some of lessons that we think are the most important, with help from our trusty EWers.
1. Expats have amazing access to a lot of fun things, but also opportunities to become knowledgeable on a very wide range
2. Being multilingual is truly a great skill
3. Change your mindset; what is right and correct where you come from, isn't the way most people think and live
SEE ALSO: Chat with other expats around the world on our bustling forum
4. You can't assume everyone has common sense, it varies in different countries
5. If you're homesick, don't listen to Whitney Houston's songs
6. That your own culture isn't as perfect as you'd like to believe
7. Everyone should be treated equally no matter their race or colour
8. All expats need to learn acceptance
9. There are many ways of achieving the same thing, and that your way is not necessarily the best way
10. The grass isn't always greener
11. That you're actually an amazing driver!
12. Be positive
SEE ALSO: Where will your next expat adventure take you?
13. Understand your country's history, every country and its people are affected by their history and culture
14. Learn to appreciate and understand their culture
15. Always say yes to new things and try things