The 12 Stages of Becoming a New Expat
Expats go through several stages that can be comprised of mixed feelings when relocating...
Expats or future expats who have decided that it's time to relocate onto their next adventure, often find the shift stressful, as they go through a number of physical and mental stages.
SEE ALSO: Top 10 tips on making the move to expat land
Don't worry, the process of moving can be daunting, but it IS adaptable, and although it may not be funny in the spur of the moment, you will quickly learn that the stages of becoming an expat are actually quite entertaining, and one day, far far away from the days that you relocated, you will have a good laugh at yourself.
13 Stages of Becoming an Expat
Here's 12 stages of becoming a new expat that we're sure everybody can relate to...
1. Anticipation - will you or won't you get the move?
2. Excitement - it's a yes, you're moving overseas!
3. Stress - you have to pack, but what to buy, sell and/or take?
4. Excitement (again) - a new life abroad is waiting...
5. Relief - you've finally packed and ready to go!
6. Sadness - it's hard to say goodbye to your family and friends, boohoo...
7. Excitement (again, again!) - you're arrived! This is it!
8. Confusion - where do you buy bread, what's up with the plug sockets?
9. Frenzied oversharing - check out my pool/beach/snow/food/sun snaps!
10. Doubt - oh goodness, have I done the right thing?
11. Home sickness - I miss Eastenders/Vegemite/rain/my mum!
12. Hope - you've found some new friends and picking the language up a bit.
And your new life here is really starting to grow on you...