American Baccalaureate School (ABS) - Kuwait
The American Baccalaureate School is a non-profit K-12 school offering a challenging American curriculum enabling students to achieve their fullest social, intellectual, emotional and physical potential. Our intellectual community teaches Islamic values and good manners, is dedicated to academic excellence, demands responsibility and promotes the power of collaboration, creativity and critical thinking.
Campus Facilities and Technology at ABS
ABS Incorporates 25,000 square meters housing the Kindergarten, Elementary, Middle School, and High School departments. The technology-centered campus includes the following amenities:
Oer 100 classrooms
Campus-wide internet connectivity
Fully networked classrooms equipped with Promethean Interactive Whiteboards
2 swimming pools
2 cafeterias serving hot meals, and fresh snack options
Specialist rooms for culinary arts, music, art, and Islamic studies
4 semi-covered playground areas with basketball hoops, soccer goals, and organized lunchtime sport activities
Outdoor Astroturf soccer-pitch
Separate buildings for each department
Technology at ABS
ABS is committed to the integration of technology to enhance, facilitate, and support teaching and learning. Such technology provides additional tools for presenting material and enhancing the learning experience for our students.
Improved school-to-home communication
ABS’s web portal enhances parental involvement and school-to-home communication. The ABS web portal allows parents instant access to up-to-date progress reports for all subjects studied by their child. Parents can view their children's up-to-date grades, weekly lesson plans, homework assignments, missing assignments, tests, quizzes, attendance details, discipline reports, and more online.
- Secure: Protects private information with managed firewalls and state-of-the-art encryption technology.
- All parents are provided with their own login and password for the ABS website.
- Online grades: Parents can view and monitor their children's assignments, test scores and grades.
- Improved student performance because Parents are aware of missed assignments or low grades early on, so problems can be addressed and corrected before they become serious.
- Email Alerts: Parents can sign up to receive secure email alerts that notify them when new reports (like grades, financial invoices, and attendance) are posted to ABS website.
- Discipline data is available online for secure and private viewing by students and parents. Parents can logon to securely view the child's discipline information. Clicking on a discipline incident brings up related details.
Culinary Arts is an art as much as Science. In our Culinary Arts Class students learn about Food Science, Nutrition, Chemistry and Food production and preparation. Students spend time studying the chemical reactions that take place when a certain ingredients are heated, boiled or frozen and how they interact with other ingredients to the overall outcome of the dish. Culinary students are taught to skillfully prepare meals that are pleasing to both the eye and palate.
ABS offers students a state-of-the-art athletic facility that is unmatched by any private school in Kuwait. The facility is purposely-built for separation of male and female students with separate entrances and exits for boys and girls. At ABS, the newly-built 2,500m2 gymnasium includes a heated indoor semi-olympic size swimming pool, and a 1,200m2 area for basketball, football, volleyball, tennis, and handball. There are 4 separate changing rooms, shower areas, and offices throughout the facility.
The ABS library is fully automated with the Follett system; all transactions are handled electronically. The library is a place which ABS students go to borrow books, learn library skills, obtain access to information from a variety of sources, perform research, hear read-aloud stories, talk with the librarian about books, or just enjoy a quiet place to read.
The curriculum has been developed to provide a rigorous, challenging, and consistent program that will capture students' interest and prepare them for a lifetime of learning.
Our students require knowledge and skills that will help them compete in a global economy and allow them to lead lives of integrity and satisfaction, both as citizens and individuals.
Reporting based on the curriculum, will help parents to have a clear understanding of their child's progress.
Reading: Reading programs (including phonics in the elementary program) challenge students to read and respond thoughtfully to works of classic and contemporary literature that are recognized for quality and literary merit.
Writing: Requirements in writing focus on grammar, spelling, punctuation, and visual presentation.
All students will be challenged by expectations that require them to use higher-order thinking skills and to make connections between related mathematical concepts and the real world. ABS employs a spiraling curriculum which addresses the same five strands each year:
- Number sense and numeration
- Geometry and spatial sense
- Patterning and Algebra
- Data management and probability
Algebra I, II, Geometry, and Pre-Calculus are given in Grades 9-12.
The goal of our science program is to:
- Enable students to acquire a basic literacy capability by understanding basic science concepts.
- Enable students to develop the skills, strategies and habits of mind required for scientific inquiry.
- Prepare students to relate scientific knowledge to the world outside the school.
As well, we take great pride in offering:
- An extensive technology program with a computer lab for every department of the school.
- A 'Partners in action' program in our library and media center
- An Arts program that includes Visual Arts, Music, and Drama
- A competitive P.E. program offering a triple gym, and indoor swimming pool.
- Social Skills, Study Skills, and after school extracurricular programs
ABS admits students regardless of race, color, or national origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities accorded to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, athletic programs, or other school administered programs. ABS is an American overseas school and follows the New York state curriculum.
The following policy provides for establishing admission priorities for acceptance of families/students to ABS:
1. Returning students are given preference over new students provided that their families have previously honored their obligations, such as the tuition contract commitment, and that the student has displayed good conduct over the course of the academic year.
2. New students will be considered for admission in the following descending priorities on a space available basis:
- To children with siblings currently in attendance.
- To Kuwaiti children applying from an American school.
- To American children applying from an American school.
- To all other children applying from an American school.
Applications for admittance will be accepted at the school office throughout the following school year. In the event there are more applicants than space available, confirmation of acceptance will be determined by:
- Date of application.
- Satisfactory testing results.
- Birth date (applicants for kindergarten and first grade).
- The completed application dated with registration fee.
- Admission order as stated above.
When the capacity of each class has been reached, those meeting the above criteria, but not admitted, will be placed on a waiting list in case an opening occurs. In that event, families will be contacted according to the abovementioned criteria. Applications to be considered for the following school year must be resubmitted during spring registration. By law each student must have an immunization record or waiver on file in the school office prior to the beginning of school. Admittance to class will be denied without this information.
In addition, students new to ABS must have demonstrated an ability performance level that is within the range of the programs at ABS by providing the following:
- Report cards and/or records of transcripts from previous schools attended.
- Satisfactory screening/testing administered by ABS or the Oxford Learning Center.
It should be noted that ABS does not have the programs and resources to assist those children who have special academic, social or physical needs. The school maintains the right to refuse admission to students not meeting the school's academic requirement or a lack of willingness to meet the code of conduct of the school.
ABS offers admission to both Arabic and non-Arabic speaking students. At this time we cannot offer admission to students with special educational needs, or behavioral issues.
In order to start the application process, download the Application Form and the Parent Checklist. Completely fill out these documents and submit them to the Admissions Office together with the required items. Contact ABS for information about our opening hours and school tours.
American Baccalaureate School
Phone: +965 24791791
Fax: +965 24710777
Block 6, Ibn Zuhair Street