Education In Kuwait
Kuwait has a good education system for both local and expatriate children. By law all children between the ages of 6 and 14 are required to go to school. However some schools hold pre KG, KG and reception classes for pre preparatory children aged 3 to 5 years old.
Ministry of Education regulates both government and private schools. The private schools cater mainly for the expatriate population but may also include some of the more westernised Kuwaiti children.
Private education is not cheap, so it is a good idea to try to negotiate the inclusion of school fees in your contract of employment. The schools require advance payment and a deposit which may only be returned if sufficient notice of leaving is given in writing!
The academic year runs from September to June with terms and holidays varying between schools although all will be closed for the local national public holidays. The school week runs from Sunday to Thursday with hours typically from 7.30 to 1.30-3.30 depending on the age of the child. Most schools also run optional extra- curricular activities after school which may lengthen the school day.
Many private schools follow the British or American curriculum and there are also a number of other international schools; Indian, Pakistani, Filipino, which follow their respective curriculum. However, all schools must include Arabic/ Islamic Studies within their curriculum.
It is a good idea to ask for other people's opinions when choosing a school (of course these may differ from person to person!) and do book appointments to look around the schools if possible, to guage whether you think your child would be happy there. There are waiting lists and evaluation tests too, so do look around as early as possible in order to maximise your choices.
Schools normally arrange transportation to and from school on their buses for an extra fee should this be required.
The Ministry of Education requires that every school keeps an up to date file on each pupil, including at least the following :
- Application form (English and Arabic) and passport photographs
- Declaration Letter
- Photocopies of Birth Certificate, Passport pages, Residency stamp and Civil ID
- Photocopy of father's Civil ID or nationality card
- Medical card and BCG vaccination card
- Transfer Certificate if moving from a Middle Eastern Country or another school in Kuwait
Kuwait Schools List
Most schools in Kuwait are public schools which educate in the Arabic language. There are some schools which run under Indian CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education), British, American and French systems, or a combination of languages.
American Schools In Kuwait
- Kuwait American School
- American School of Kuwait
- American International School of Kuwait
- Universal American School
- American Creativity Academy
- American Academy for Girls
- American International School of Gulf
Bilingual Schools In Kuwait
- Al-Bayan Bilingual School
- Dasman Model School
- Future Bilingual School
- Al-Ghanim Bilingual School
- Al-Ru'ya Bilingual School
- Rawd Alsalheen Bilingual School (R.S.B.S.)
- Anglo Arab Bilingual Academy
- Kuwait Bilingual School in the city of Jahra, Kuwait
- Kuwait Academy Bilingual School ( K.A.B.S )
- Canadian Bilingual school (C.B.S)
- American Bilingual School (A.B.S)
- Al-Ma'alee Bilingual School
- Pioneers Bilingual School (PBS)
- The Rainbow Playgroup
- Ajial Bilingual School
British Schools In Kuwait
- Kuwait English School (K.E.S)
- The English School Fahaheel (E.S.F)
- New English School (Kuwait) New English School (N.E.S)
- The English School, Kuwait (T.E.S)
- Kuwait International English School (K.I.E.S)
- British School of Kuwait (B.S.K)
- Falcon English School (F.E.S)
- Cascade British Nursery School
- Gulf English School (G.E.S)
- Kuwait National English School (K.N.E.S)
- The English Academy (T.E.A)
- International Academy of Kuwait (I.A.K)
- Cambridge English School - Mangaf & Hawally (C.E.S)
- Oxford Academy of Kuwait
- English School of Girls - Salwa (E.S.G)
- Tahreer English School
- The English Primary School
- The English Playground (Infant school)
- Gulf British Academy (G.B.A)
- Lycée Francais Du Koweït (The French School)
Indian Schools In Kuwait
- Carmel School
- Indian Community School, Amman Branch
- Indian Community School, Senior Girls
- Indian Community School, Junior Branch
- Indian Community School, Khaitan Branch
- Don Bosco School
- Delhi Public School
- United Indian School
- Integrated School
List Of Nursery Schools In Kuwait
Tel: 5386404 or 7373522
Mishref based nursery with friendly staff
British International Nursery
Based in South Surra
Situated in Mangaf, The British Playhouse follows the British curriculum for the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) and welcomes children of all nationalities.
Bubbles Montessori Nursery
Block 5, Street 12, Villa 5, Mishref, Kuwait Map
Montessori nursery for children from one to four years old in Mishref; curriculum includes practical life lessons, sensorial, language & mathematical development; has spacious grounds & indoor & outdoor facilities
Cascade British Nursery School
Nursery in the Adan area that offers early years learning for children from 1 to 4 years of age; employs only British teachers.
Gulf Montessori Nursery
Tel: 2 565 0125
Nursery in Salwa. Gulf Montessori Nurseries have a special child-centered approach which will feed children's developing skills and interests at the right times and help them to become confident, capable and in control of their world.
Happy Chappies Montessori
Montessori school officially registered and licensed by the Ministry of Education, Ministry of Labour & Social Affairs; caters to children between 10 months & five years; curriculum includes practical life skills, maths, language, literary skills.
Kuwait Montessori Nursery
Montessori nursery located in Jabriyah; children are taught in English by qualified Montessori teachers; levels 2 and 3 children attend Arabic sessions.
Learning Steps Montessori Nursery
Providers of quality Montessori education for children from 18 months to 4.5 years; offers a child-centred environment, focus on individual progress & development, spontaneous activity, active learning etc.
Little Land Nursery
Montessori centre & traditional nursery; facilities include computer room, music room, swimming pool, webcam etc.
Based in Salmiya. Very flexible timings from one hour to full days.
Twinkle Star Nursery
Based in Egaila, Twinkle Star caters to children from the ages of 1.5 years to 4.5 years. They have a warm and relaxing atmosphere that welcomes all children to have a fun filled day.
Universal English Nursery
Universal English Nursery was established in 2005 in Kuwait and has 2 branches in south surra in Al-Salam and Al-Shuhada areas , The Nursery Aims to teach children English by using the American curriculum also the nursery teaches Arabic and Holy Quran